Scottish player transfers - Page 200 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Arsenal and Man City are working on a summer swap involving Kieran Tierney and Joao Cancelo, both are available for purchase in the coming window.

Amazing what pops up in random news feeds, but stranger things have happened.

I don't get it, don't City also play with inverted fullbacks?

I'd love to see Tierney move away from Arsenal. I suspect Arsenal will end being a club fighting for 4th place next season.

Artetas team selection yesterday was beyond baffling. He's lost the plot and his bottle. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd love to see Tierney move away from Arsenal. I suspect Arsenal will end being a club fighting for 4th place next season.

Artetas team selection yesterday was beyond baffling. He's lost the plot and his bottle. 

A lot of Arsenal fans online seemed gutted but also resigned to Tierney leaving. All the paper talk is Man City or Newcastle but I’d love to see him go abroad. Crazy to think he’s still only 25

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

A lot of Arsenal fans online seemed gutted but also resigned to Tierney leaving. All the paper talk is Man City or Newcastle but I’d love to see him go abroad. Crazy to think he’s still only 25

I think Man Utd would be a good place for him and he’s better than Shaw.

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

Anywhere but City!  Any given foreigner is given endless chances but if the aglet fell off one of Tierney's laces during a game he'd be dropped 'cos Scottish.

1 hour ago, todd said:

Anywhere but City!  Any given foreigner is given endless chances but if the aglet fell off one of Tierney's laces during a game he'd be dropped 'cos Scottish.

Aglet. Every day's a school day, never knew there was a word for that bit in your laces!

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Man Utd would be a good place for him and he’s better than Shaw.

I'm a big Tierney fan but he's not better than Shaw. Man Utd already signed Malacia last season too so can't see them wanting a 3rd LB

15 hours ago, todd said:

Rubbish. Walker, Stones, Grealish have started every week and they aren't foreign. They had three lads starting yesterday who grew up a stones throw from the stadium.

If Tierney couldn't get a game for Man City it would be because he's not good enough...which he probably isn't given that the guy keeping him out of the Arsenal team couldn't get a game for Man City.

Tierney's situation at Arsenal is a strange one. He was a nailed on started when fit, a total fan favourite and Arteta was talking about him as a serious contender for the captains armband.

I understand that Arteta brought a new LB in, partly I believe because of Tierneys injury record and they changed style with the LB moving into CM when in possession which isnt Tierneys strength however there have been games where its been clear that isnt working amd a more traditional wide LB is needed and Tierney still doesnt come on. He is much better than the new LB defensively. Newcastle game highlighted that as did Liverpool and Man City games.

The really strange thing for me though is that he isnt even 2nd choice now.

I reckon he would fit into Newcastle perfectly but fear his "Scottish" loyalty will result in him not moving.

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

I'm a big Tierney fan but he's not better than Shaw. Man Utd already signed Malacia last season too so can't see them wanting a 3rd LB

People have short memories. There was a period where Shaw was dug sh*te for ages and Tierney was lauded every week at arsenal, new managers, systems seem to change things pretty quickly. I don’t see much in it myself. I don’t see many better when Tierney's played correctly, beating people and putting in end product and doing his job defensively 

54 minutes ago, JECK said:

People have short memories. There was a period where Shaw was dug sh*te for ages and Tierney was lauded every week at arsenal, new managers, systems seem to change things pretty quickly. I don’t see much in it myself. I don’t see many better when Tierney's played correctly, beating people and putting in end product and doing his job defensively 

On top of that if Luke Shaw is better I do not hear him being linked with Man City and Newcastle who are both above United in the EPL. Even when United wwre going through a rough period Shaw was not being linked with big moves.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Tierney is better than Shaw defensively and going forward. Is faster etc. The only things that id say are in Shaws favour are aerial and fitness record. 

Could see Newcastle fans really taking to him.

5 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

Rubbish. Walker, Stones, Grealish have started every week and they aren't foreign. They had three lads starting yesterday who grew up a stones throw from the stadium.

If Tierney couldn't get a game for Man City it would be because he's not good enough...which he probably isn't given that the guy keeping him out of the Arsenal team couldn't get a game for Man City.

I was including English as foreign, so not rubbish!  We all know how Scottish players are thought of down there.

Edited by todd

4 hours ago, todd said:

We all know how Scottish players are thought of down there.

Have you got a chip under a tiny shoulder?

that comment is not justifiable. If Scot’s are good enough they’ll get a game…… just there’s not many quite there yet…… plenty pretty decent hopes but hickey is a rolls Royce at brentford, as is Robbo af Liverpool. Give it a bit of time and gilmour and tierney could both be. It’s tierney being injury prone that has meant his career has stalled a bit, not anti-Scottishness.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

A few rumours of Real Madrid after Robertson.

Hayden Hackney is being chased by Liverpool,Arsenal and Nottingham Forest amongst others.

Been a long time since we had Scottish players who could be linked to Real Madrid and you’d say it’s a bit of a sideways step!

A few clubs in the Championship doing there releases or offered new deals but out of contract. Some Scots I found.

Robbie Hemfrey breakthrough at Rotherham but leaving on a free.

Liam Bridcutt remember him released feom Blackpool.

Lewis Coulton made youth appearances from Preston released.

Free but offered new deals Jordan Archer and Chris Martin at QPR

2 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

There was a rumor Newcastle wanted both McTominay and Tierney a while back. Honestly think they two are first 11 for them. I don't see why either would be opposed to a move either. 

Eddie Howe is a great manager that gets the best out of players at his disposal too. McTominay and Tierney could take their careers to the next level there.

My only worry is that Newcastle are going through the Ranieri phase at Chelsea when they first got their billions. I.e a couple of years of buying decent players before they are all replaced with superstars. And the manager gets dumped for a bigger name as well.

A bit hard to work out but here is someone that is expected to move to a decent level club Jordan Holsgrove impressed in his first season in the Portuguese top flight and not expected to stay with Pacos de Ferreira they have been relegated, looks like he will be a wanted man, from what I can see lots of fans at clubs like Braga want him, has success in Spain also. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Eddie Howe is a great manager that gets the best out of players at his disposal too. McTominay and Tierney could take their careers to the next level there.

My only worry is that Newcastle are going through the Ranieri phase at Chelsea when they first got their billions. I.e a couple of years of buying decent players before they are all replaced with superstars. And the manager gets dumped for a bigger name as well.

Newcastle are being very smart, they have built a team. With all their cash, can we name any marquee names they brought in yet here they are in the top three. Newcastle deserve every success coming their way. If Tierney and/or McTominay land there it truly would be an excellent career move.