Scottish player transfers - Page 199 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, duncan II said:

Really not.

Do you think if Dykes was Rangers main striker for 5 or so years that he would become their all time leading goalscorer in Europe, or score the most goals in Europe before Xmas for any player for any club or be 3rd top all time uefa / europa league goalscorer?

Moreles was a liability but there was a time where he was a nightmare for defenders to play against. He bullied defenders, could run in behind and had good instints in the box. Those days all long gone but Dykes has never ever been near those levels and wont ever get near those levels.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Saw Tierney linked with Man City on a news feed today. New bench but 30 million pound players fill these spots for the real elite clubs. 

Wouldnt suit City any better than Arsenal.

Would be a really good fit for how Newcastle and Man Utd play. Newcastle being the obvious choice as Utd seem happy with Luke Shaw whereas Newcastle to get to the next level will need better than Dan Burn.

On 4/29/2023 at 1:14 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Bit early to say in my opinion. It’s only in last 2/3 years that we’ve seen a lot of 16/17 year olds move down south due to brexit not allowing Europeans that age moving to England and so it will be 2 or 3 years yet to see if it was the right move for the likes of Rory Wilson, Kerr Smith, Charlie McArthur, Dire Mebude etc 

Theres always been loads of scots youngsters in epl youth set ups over the years. Without checking google I could probably reel off 15 names that were in epl youth set ups over the last 20 years. Theres been dozens and literally none ever made it. 

Fair enough theres been a slight increase in scots youth players going to epl academies in recent years but the previous track record of them making it at any kind of decent level is terrible. 

Maybe that will change soon if guys like mebude and doak make it big but personally i never get overly excited by young scots being in epl youth academies. 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Theres always been loads of scots youngsters in epl youth set ups over the years. Without checking google I could probably reel off 15 names that were in epl youth set ups over the last 20 years. Theres been dozens and literally none ever made it. 

Fair enough theres been a slight increase in scots youth players going to epl academies in recent years but the previous track record of them making it at any kind of decent level is terrible. 

Maybe that will change soon if guys like mebude and doak make it big but personally i never get overly excited by young scots being in epl youth academies. 

I wouldn’t agree with that. Yes, there have been players at big epl clubs but typically they have been anglos rather than transfers from Scottish clubs. The number moving down and the increased importance of them to their respective teams seems, anecdotally at least, higher than previously. The only really high profile youth transfer I can recall outside of recent years was Feruz.

I expect very few of the current hyped players will make it either tbh, but Doak will, Hickey already has, Gilmour will/has and I expect a few others to have good top 5 league careers (Wilson, Josh Adam, Mebude, Kerr currently the most likely although potentially none will make it). Even if only the first 3 make it that is far beyond anything seen for the last 20 years in terms of transferred youth players where as I say I struggle to name any beyond Feruz who were high profile transfers.
The likes of Hackney, Fiorini etc. are anglos so don’t count in this context).

No doubt you are about to reel off 20+ and make me look a pillock but my perception is that things have changed.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:49 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Do you think if Dykes was Rangers main striker for 5 or so years that he would become their all time leading goalscorer in Europe, or score the most goals in Europe before Xmas for any player for any club or be 3rd top all time uefa / europa league goalscorer?

Moreles was a liability but there was a time where he was a nightmare for defenders to play against. He bullied defenders, could run in behind and had good instints in the box. Those days all long gone but Dykes has never ever been near those levels and wont ever get near those levels.

Morelos has never run in behind. He was slow even in his purple patch. 

Morelos was a decent player. But he has a stinking attitude and exactly the kinda guy Stevie Clarke wouldnt want near the squad so comparisons are futile.

FWIW, I think Dykes would be very good for Rangers, but Id be surprised if they were interested as he isnt the kind of signing likely to get overwhelming approval from their support right now.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Morelos has never run in behind. He was slow even in his purple patch. 

Morelos at his best was a powerful runner who used his strength to bully defenders off the ball. Rangers reguarly played the ball in behind and into the channels where he would chase it down and turn defences. Think back to the few seasons Rangers did really well in Europe and games against Celtic. 

If Dykes scores more than 10 goals in either Europe or the EPL id be hugely surprised. As ive said though, Dkyes has been very effective for Scotland and is important in certain games which for us thats all that matters.

58 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Morelos at his best was a powerful runner who used his strength to bully defenders off the ball. Rangers reguarly played the ball in behind and into the channels where he would chase it down and turn defences. Think back to the few seasons Rangers did really well in Europe and games against Celtic. 

If Dykes scores more than 10 goals in either Europe or the EPL id be hugely surprised. As ive said though, Dkyes has been very effective for Scotland and is important in certain games which for us thats all that matters.

Yes, Morelos could bully players and get them turned in the channels, but he can’t then get away from them and get in on goal - he does lift his head and square it though. Dykes does much the same but does have that wee burst of speed over 8 yards that lets him in on goal. 

Not sure how anyone could possibly think dykes is better than morelos. Morelos goals record is excellent. Even before he went to rangers he banged in 30 goals in one season at hjk. 

If he screwed the nut he would easily be a regular for a lower half epl club. 

I like dykes but hes a level below morelos especially when he was in his first three seasons at rangers. 

One bit of random transfer news that may be revisited in the summer, After Stoke sold Harry Souttar to Leicester, they apparently tried to get George Johnston ex Scotland U21, Liverpool and Feyoonord of Bolton(who have made the play offs and may get promoted to the Championship anyway). 

2 hours ago, stocky said:

I see Karlan Grant is linked with Rangers, a striker .From West Brom.

He's got a Scottish mammy.

So could be interesting to see if he's any good..

He's been mentioned before . He's about the same level as Jacob Brown 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:57 PM, stocky said:

I see Karlan Grant is linked with Rangers, a striker .From West Brom.

He's got a Scottish mammy.

So could be interesting to see if he's any good..

Another English Championship player - if that's the level Rangers are signing players from now I can't see Celtic having much to worry about next season.

30 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Another English Championship player - if that's the level Rangers are signing players from now I can't see Celtic having much to worry about next season.

I dont think either celtic or rangers can afford guys in the epl anymore. Certainly not established epl players.

They have to buy young guys from abroad and develop them into epl level players or rely on guys who are proven at english championship level. 

I cant see it getting better either as the epl just keeps on getting richer and oil rich owners keep buying epl clubs.

The quality of the non old firm teams has dipped in recent years as well. Most non old firm teams are filled with guys from guys from the english league2 or below.

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Brighton linked with Celtic's Ronan Ferns. Leeds linked with Aberdeen's Jamie Mercer having already agreed a deal for Hamilton's Josh McDonald

Saw these on BBC gossip with Football insider as the source which was comical that’s where they are taking their transfer gossip from now! 

On 5/16/2023 at 1:13 PM, Tartan blood said:

Not sure if this applies, as it's not a player, but Scott Gemmill being linked with the Queen's Park job. This may be the only way he'll ever be ousted from his position as u21 coach.

🤞 Please let this be true! 😂

On 5/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, mccaughey85 said:

I dont think either celtic or rangers can afford guys in the epl anymore. Certainly not established epl players.

They have to buy young guys from abroad and develop them into epl level players or rely on guys who are proven at english championship level. 

I cant see it getting better either as the epl just keeps on getting richer and oil rich owners keep buying epl clubs.

The quality of the non old firm teams has dipped in recent years as well. Most non old firm teams are filled with guys from guys from the english league2 or below.

I know what you mean, but sign English Championship players you'll end up with an English Championship standard team.

Mind you, I don't think the majority of their fans will care too much, as long as they beat the other one.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

🤞 Please let this be true! 😂

Just imagine having an even semi-competent manager in charge of this group of u21s. An up and coming manager that is focused on stats, like Shaun Maloney or even Ian Cathro, would obsess over player reports and get the best out of this group.

Though I think if Maloney doesn't get fired from Wigan, he'll do well there.