Injury Watch - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

Towards the end of this qualifying campaign we have been hit by a trio of injuries to key players. At present it looks like Clarke will be without (at least) three key players for the final fixtures in November.

Kieran Tierney will definitely miss the games with a hamstring tear which could rule him out until Christmas. Andy Robertson's shoulder injury definitely rules him out of next month's fixtures and could keep him out until the New Year. Angus Gunn limped off with a groin injury on Saturday and will have the injury scanned and may miss the games against Georgia and Norway.

In better news veteran goalkeeper Craig Gordon and defender Grant Hanley have returned to full training so could be an option come November but that may be optimistic.

I thought a thread may be useful to track our injured squad  members.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let KT & Robbo have a couple of months rest & come back raring to go  in the new year. Playing a full season in such competitive leagues as they do doesn't benefit players going into a summer major championships .  The worry especially with KT is he'll get another  injury before the season ends.

I'm saying this obviously only because we've qualified, it would have been serious squeaky bums time if we had to go to Georgia needing a point without those 2 & possibly Gunn .

Thankfully there's no need for any nightmare flashbacks to Tbilisi 2007😊

We now and depth and strength in the squad.

Obviously Tierney and Robertson out will be a huge blow but it gives opportunity for others to stake a claim in the squad.

We now no longer need Mctominay as a stand in centre half and what a midfielder he has been in this campaign.

(Hendry, Mckenna, Handley, Cooper all vying for a starting slot as centre halfs)

7 GOALS in 6 games. One disallowed for Scott

Just awesome and he is one of the key players for me.

Mcginn, Mctominay, Robertson and Tierney.

If those four are fit, on form and available for the tournament in Germany we have a great chance to progress.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Let KT & Robbo have a couple of months rest & come back raring to go  in the new year. Playing a full season in such competitive leagues as they do doesn't benefit players going into a summer major championships .  The worry especially with KT is he'll get another  injury before the season ends.

I'm saying this obviously only because we've qualified, it would have been serious squeaky bums time if we had to go to Georgia needing a point without those 2 & possibly Gunn .

Thankfully there's no need for any nightmare flashbacks to Tbilisi 2007😊

I agree, it might turn out to be quite good timing for them. As far as Scotland is concerned anyway.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Harvey Barnes needs another operation, with talk he is going to be out for anything from another month, to at least 4, so if he was grabbing Clarke's attention for a possible switch, its either going to be very last minute or happen after the Euros

On 12/18/2023 at 3:34 PM, csinclair said:

Personally wouldn't have him in the squad. I'd have Porteous, Hendry, Souttar, Cooper and McKenna all ahead of him.

If Souttar stays fit long enough to make the squad in June I’ll eat my own Y-fronts. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Bad news on Doak and it's exactly the kind of badly timed injury during his development years that a young player may not recover from/get back to the same level. Seen it happen a lot.

Hopefully a speedy and full recovery and he can find his full potential.

Yes I was thinking the same. May come back lacking the yard or two of extra pace he once had or unable to do quite as much tight turns etc. Fingers crossed that is not the case but either way it is erasing valuable development time for him.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

On 12/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Doak out for a while with torn meniscus. Surgery required. Probably ends any hope of him going to euros even though it was a very long shot anyway. Probably also ends any plans to go out on loan in January 

That’s a real shame, let’s hope his treatment and recovery goes well

20 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Bad news on Doak and it's exactly the kind of badly timed injury during his development years that a young player may not recover from/get back to the same level. Seen it happen a lot.

Hopefully a speedy and full recovery and he can find his full potential.

I don’t think it’s too bad. Three months in most cases is what I’m reading, although some tears can take longer. I may be wrong, but it’s not an injury that affects speed or turning per se, like tendons and ligaments, but it is required to absorb the shock of these actions. I’ve had a torn meniscus repaired myself (don’t know if it was the lateral one) but I was never fast and milk turned quicker.

• 3 weeks later...