Poland friendly at Hampden - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poland friendly at Hampden

stocky

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

What an anti-climax to concede that "penalty" when the game was well won. Poland were very disappointing, and lucky to get the draw. Not a bad performance from Scotland though, pressing and keeping possession reasonably well. If Clark can refrain from this nonsense of McTominay in central defense, plus forgets about Greg Taylor we should be in good shape.

Taylor played well. 

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

It does look better than I thought it would be always have huge concerns with mctominay at the back though as he can’t defend for toffee

He is a defender that cant defend for me , still would only have him on the bench for us

1 hour ago, borojock said:

anyone made a comment about the Polish Manager looking like Jimmy Calderwoods younger brother yet 

I was thinking that too. 😃 not enough fake tan though. Maybe a half brother ? He sits in the shade. 😁

McTominay's problem

. NO END PRODUCT.

He made a couple or three good runs to the ebge of their area and either tripped over the ball or over-ran it. Very frustrating.

Not saying he had a stinker at all. He was adequate but when he is in those advanced positions he needs the end product.

All in all I thought we played really well and if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight. A lot of our players impressed.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Patterson has been great down the right, a pity we don’t have Robertson on the other side. We’ve been pretty good. Maybe Armstrong for Christie will give us a bit more penetration. 

Was very impressed with Patterson tonight, especially in first half 

People slagging off McTominey are totally overlooking what he does for us in terms of passing out from the back.

He had 1 bad moment tonight where he took a bad touch / slipped that could have caused a goal however these things happen. 

He makes things look easy which I believe some supporters then believe are easy when in fact they arent.

Techinically he is lightyears ahead of Soutter and Hendry. Both are probably better out and out defenders however whats gained in defence is lost in style and passing through the lines goung forward.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

anyone made a comment about the Polish Manager looking like Jimmy Calderwoods younger brother yet 

🤣

If you asked 100 people to draw a picture of what they think an Eastern European football manager looks like, 99 of them would end up with a drawing of someone who looks like that guy!

46 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He is a defender that cant defend for me , still would only have him on the bench for us

He isn't a defender though, that's the problem. A defensive midfielder, maybe, but he's not a centre-back.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

People slagging off McTominey are totally overlooking what he does for us in terms of passing out from the back.

He had 1 bad moment tonight where he took a bad touch / slipped that could have caused a goal however these things happen. 

He makes things look easy which I believe some supporters then believe are easy when in fact they arent.

Techinically he is lightyears ahead of Soutter and Hendry. Both are probably better out and out defenders however whats gained in defence is lost in style and passing through the lines goung forward.

I want him in midfield, alongside McGregor and Gilmour, I’d drop Christie. Play McGinn off Dykes or Adams or Stewart. Not convinced anyone has nailed  the Centre Forward spot yet. I’m hoping Stewart can come in and eventually make the jersey his. 

Guest Scot1
10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's good watching Scotland for the first time in years. Any one thinking of tinkering with our midfield is of their head. 

Not sure why Patterson was taken off, that's about my only complaint about tonights game. 

I believe we can get more out of this squad, one way is to move McTominay into midfield alongside McGregor and Gilmour, drop Christie, push McGinn to play off the Centre Forward. 
The other way is to switch to a back 4 when the occasion suits it. Just my opinion though, but you’re right, it’s good watching Scotland at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure why Patterson was taken off, that's about my only complaint about tonights game. 

Friendly innit. If it was competitive he'd have played the full 90.

Disappointing to end our winning run due to such a ridiculous penalty decision, but it was poor play from us in the lead up. Still better for it not to have happened in an actual play-off.

Hard to believe Tierney is only 24, such a mature performer. 

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's good watching Scotland for the first time in years. Any one thinking of tinkering with our midfield is of their head. 

We look like a decent side these days. Tonight i thought we looked good, we controlled large spells of the game our passing moves were nice. Shame to lose the late pen but theres alot of positives from tonights game. 

23 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I believe we can get more out of this squad, one way is to move McTominay into midfield alongside McGregor and Gilmour, drop Christie, push McGinn to play off the Centre Forward. 
The other way is to switch to a back 4 when the occasion suits it. Just my opinion though, but you’re right, it’s good watching Scotland at the moment. 

There are of course other options, and it probably sounds daft but I don't think we need to get any more out of the current squad. It looks competitive at any level. Maybe I'm getting carried away after recent performances against Denmark. England, Poland and to a lesser degree Croatia and the Czech Republic. 

56 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I want him in midfield, alongside McGregor and Gilmour, I’d drop Christie. Play McGinn off Dykes or Adams or Stewart. Not convinced anyone has nailed  the Centre Forward spot yet. I’m hoping Stewart can come in and eventually make the jersey his. 

Thats where I wanted to see him tried tonight. Beside McGinn as one of the 2 behind Adams who i think is the clear choice for number 1 striker.

32 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Friendly innit. If it was competitive he'd have played the full 90.

Disappointing to end our winning run due to such a ridiculous penalty decision, but it was poor play from us in the lead up. Still better for it not to have happened in an actual play-off.

Hard to believe Tierney is only 24, such a mature performer. 

Pattersons not paying any football though and Clarke has known O'Donnell for years. Seemed pretty pointless to me. 

Great one liner in the other thread about the world cup draw, it's what we Scots do. 

I'm just hame and not read through the thread but I thought we played really well...composed for want of a better word. Paterson in the first half could have had a couple and if McGinn had went down it was a penalty but hay hoo. 

We've made great progress under Clarke when you think back to where we were. We need to start being ruthless in front of goal if we are to take the next step though. 

Also need to get a look at the back up options at goalkeeper and striker vs Austria next week. 

Edited by slasher

34 minutes ago, slasher said:

We've made great progress under Clarke when you think back to where we were. We need to start being ruthless in front of goal if we are to take the next step though. 

Also need to get a look at the back up options at goalkeeper and striker vs Austria next week. 

Yes, goal keeper and striker are the two worries. I thought Adams was a bit out of sorts last night but he was fantastic against Denmark. 

Also agree we need to start taking our chances. I think Fraser will help in that regard and provide some competition for Christie. I also wonder if Elliot Anderson could come straight into the play offs if he does something special tonight for the u21s (and cancels England in the process). He seems to be able to create goals from nothing. We have Lowry on the horizon though so I’m not getting too stressed about it. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, goal keeper and striker are the two worries. I thought Adams was a bit out of sorts last night but he was fantastic against Denmark. 

Also agree we need to start taking our chances. I think Fraser will help in that regard and provide some competition for Christie. I also wonder if Elliot Anderson could come straight into the play offs if he does something special tonight for the u21s (and cancels England in the process). He seems to be able to create goals from nothing. We have Lowry on the horizon though so I’m not getting too stressed about it. 

I’ve just read Anderson hasn’t joined up with the u21s so that would appear to be that. Couldn’t lace Lowry’s boots! 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agree with all this. Unreal that there's suggestions of completely changing our shape just to accommodate McTominay in midfield.