Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 219 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

42 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I would think Mctominay he may be better and more effect for us if he took a loan move somwhere and played more regularly. Not impossible that could happen 

of course he has scored tonight getting forwards , but still feel, there is little chance of him doing that in Scotland shirt or being able to in our set up

McTominay should be encouraged to get forward more for Scotland, he's got that in his locker, he's scored a few goals now for Man It's and he's good at carrying the ball forward, I'd play him box to box for us.

Its very hard for fans to truly judge a player like McTominay.  So much of what makes him a level up from other players, like McGregor, McLean etc etc is the speed that he sees and does things at. This isnt always apparent on TV. 

An average player can receive a ball, take a touch and pass it from A to B. (Which for talking sake it the correct pass) To the fan that player has done well however of the process has taken even 2 seconds longer than what a top player would do it in then it makes a huge difference to a team and their ability to move defences around and create chances.

Its the reason why you always hear stories about the top players at top clubs like Gerrard in his day, firing passes into a new player on day 1 of training as they know within a day whether they have what it takes or not.

McTominay is levels above any other Midfielder we have. Gilmour will be levels above McTominay if he continues the way he was prior to injury.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Fraser being quite simply awful for Newcastle against Newport. If he is the answer then god knows what the question is.

Cue, a second half hat trick from the wee man. 🤣🤣

It's because the club is so big he is in over his head

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its very hard for fans to truly judge a player like McTominay.  So much of what makes him a level up from other players, like McGregor, McLean etc etc is the speed that he sees and does things at. This isnt always apparent on TV. 

An average player can receive a ball, take a touch and pass it from A to B. (Which for talking sake it the correct pass) To the fan that player has done well however of the process has taken even 2 seconds longer than what a top player would do it in then it makes a huge difference to a team and their ability to move defences around and create chances.

Its the reason why you always hear stories about the top players at top clubs like Gerrard in his day, firing passes into a new player on day 1 of training as they know within a day whether they have what it takes or not.

McTominay is levels above any other Midfielder we have. Gilmour will be levels above McTominay if he continues the way he was prior to injury.

He’s not levels above McGinn. In terms of receiving and recycling the ball he’s not any better than McGregor, but my gripe with the latter is he plays it a bit too safe in possession. That said with better players around him McGregor could probably be quite effective. I expect our first choice midfield will be McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn but we knew that 2 years ago. Turnbull will come into contention for sure. 

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Was just coming on to say Harry Souttar finally getting a run of starts for Stoke and getting praise off their fans and of course forgot he declared for Australia last year!

Says it all about his character, both he and Boyle. Hooring themselves out at the first opportunity. Weren’t willing to fight for a place in the Scotland squad. I’d be embarrassed if I were them. Good riddance 

15 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Was just coming on to say Harry Souttar finally getting a run of starts for Stoke and getting praise off their fans and of course forgot he declared for Australia last year!

Regret? Not at all.

If he didn't have the patience to wait and fight for a place in the Scotland squad then he obviously did not want it badly enough. Not the sort of character we need in the team.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Says it all about his character, both he and Boyle. Hooring themselves out at the first opportunity. Weren’t willing to fight for a place in the Scotland squad. I’d be embarrassed if I were them. Good riddance 

Boyle I can understand - he was in his mid to late 20s, continually overlooked by Scotland and, let's be honest, he'd most probably be little more than a bit-part player even if he had been called up.

Souttar's decision though is baffling.  He'd been overlooked for a couple of youth squads, but big deal, if he'd stuck with Scotland he'd almost certainly be in the under-21s by now, if not in the senior squad.  It doesn't even really make sense from a career point of view - if you're a manager in England and you've a choice between signing a centre-half who has to travel a couple of hours up the road once every couple of months to play a home international fixture and one who has to fly to the other side of the planet to do the same, who are you are you going to sign?  Unless he turns out to be the new Virgil van Dyke it's not likely to be Souttar.

Anyway, fuck him. I hope he gets kicked by a kangaroo.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Scoring against Hamilton does not an international striker make.  If he moves to a big club and scores then I’d be interested.  To be fair shankland the same.  Hopefully they will move to the old firm, epl or a big league in Europe.

Yeh thats true but its positive to see a young Scottish striker scoring goals in our top flight. If he keeps this going he will get a bigger move. 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Scoring against Hamilton does not an international striker make.  If he moves to a big club and scores then I’d be interested.  To be fair shankland the same.  Hopefully they will move to the old firm, epl or a big league in Europe.

Aye he is still essentially untested but he’s looking brilliant and making all the right moves 

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Boyle I can understand - he was in his mid to late 20s, continually overlooked by Scotland and, let's be honest, he'd most probably be little more than a bit-part player even if he had been called up.

Souttar's decision though is baffling.  He'd been overlooked for a couple of youth squads, but big deal, if he'd stuck with Scotland he'd almost certainly be in the under-21s by now, if not in the senior squad.  It doesn't even really make sense from a career point of view - if you're a manager in England and you've a choice between signing a centre-half who has to travel a couple of hours up the road once every couple of months to play a home international fixture and one who has to fly to the other side of the planet to do the same, who are you are you going to sign?  Unless he turns out to be the new Virgil van Dyke it's not likely to be Souttar.

Anyway, fuck him. I hope he gets kicked by a kangaroo.

Or Lyndon Dykes shags his missus :ok:

G'day.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

So if he moves to Rangers and scores against Accies that'll be worth a call up?

Honest tae god

19 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Honest tae god

I would imagine he meant playing Celtic 3 or 4 times and a handful of European games.

But if Nesbit can continue at the current rate even if it is against weak teams he is well worth a call up.

I would say who ever scores the most goals between him or Shankland is the better striker.

Both of them will probably score more than Lyndon Dykes would have.

10 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Honest tae god

if he moves to Rangers and helps them win the uefa cup scoring repeatedly against some of the better defences in Europe that would def put him in contention.

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if he moves to Rangers and helps them win the uefa cup scoring repeatedly against some of the better defences in Europe that would def put him in contention.

If we follow your logic then we wouldn't have any strikers in the squad at all, as we don't have anybody playing at that level. And, you are saying that if he did all that, it would only "put him in contention".......mental. 

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

And how many Scottish strikers do those two have & play, only one springs to mind is Griffiths.

Seen Nisbet at both the Pars and Raith and he was super impressive at that level. He also looks like he's lost about a stone, if not more in the SPFL. Looks in great shape and seems to have given him a bit more nimbleness about him.

Once any striker* drops out, I'm sure he'll be added to the squad and might even make his debut in the Czech Republic game.

*4/100 on its McBurnie :)