Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 224 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

I would love it if we could go back to the era where we actually picked players who were in form for starting as opposed to just because they are on the books of someone , they came on as sub a month ago etc.

i know we unfortunately don’t. have the choice to be that choosy.

Edited by DAVIDB46

36 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its a case of who gets to start alongside him in midfield. Mctominay and christie would be my choices. 

I’d play McGinn behind Dykes in the most advanced of the three central midfielders with McTominay and Jack behind him. Fraser on the left and Christie on the right.  Armstrong would be unlucky not to start but would come off the bench. And I’m hoping it’s a flat back four with Robertson left back and Tierney right back.

28 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I would love it if we could go back to the era where we actually picked players who were in form for starting as opposed to just because they are on the books of someone , they came on as sub a month ago etc.

i know we unfortunately don’t. have the choice to be that choosy.

Stats are crazy things but according to whoscored McTominay was by a mile the best Man U player.

95% pass rate

4 dribbles

3 tackles

2 interceptions

0 x dispossessed 

I assume you mean McTominay

All that in 45 minutes.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

McGinn didn't seem himself after football resumed after Lockdown but he's seems to be back of track.

That said, lovely to see he can still play a pass to the opposition in his own half without thinking and defend so well with his arse. 🙂

Villa rushed him back into action far too quickly. They were sinking fast, desperate for points and so in went a half fit McGinn. 

Looks like he is very much back to his best now however. 

He's probably the most popular Scotland player since Faddy wore the jersey.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Guest ElChris04

John McGinn was unreal last night. What a fuckin pler man. And he’ll only get better now being in a much much stronger Villa team. 

He’s night and day the first name on the Scotland team sheet. 

23 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Assist for Armstrong but with the quality of the movement and finish not really sure Stuart should get the assist.

Seems to me Southampton's results pick up whenever Armstrong gets a run of starts for them.

I think he's a pretty underrated player and would continue with him ahead of Forrest although Fraser being fit now will probably mean he gets in on the right ahead of both.

All in all some good performances from the players this weekend. Let's hope for once they don't lose all football ability and motivation once they cross the border.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was always a stand out at u21. Two footed with a lot of pace. It would help if he came back to Europe but there will likely be a place for him in the near future. 

Cannot agree with that at all.  One match in particular against Andorra where he looked very poor.  

He was always pretty poor for Celtic too.  

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cannot agree with that at all.  One match in particular against Andorra where he looked very poor.  

He was always pretty poor for Celtic too.  

I think Celtic deployed him as the lone striker whenever he did play , Be lucky if he played in his natural position more than twice 

Even of the standard is lower, if you dominate and perform at a high standard with success, your pysche says you do it against people who are at a higher standard. Examine your own professional careers, you've probably said to yourself that your too good for where you work, you can go into and perform at a more rewarding company. Many players run on confidence so individual success is great, the managerial staff will say can he cut it for us and if so likely call them up.....providing there isn't a pandemic affecting the logistics

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Anyone know what standard of player he’s up against? Seems to be a fair mix of abilities in that league is there not

According to who scored he is one of the top 10 players in the 26 team MLS, but Johnny Russel being in the top 20 suggests it's not the highest of standards. No disrespect intended to Russell.

You can only be better than what your playing against though so having just turned 24 he might turn out ok.

We talk about players moving to European teams being a great thing, maybe a year in the states were I would imagine training is more fitness and diet based than skills based might not be bad for a youngish player.

5 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Even of the standard is lower, if you dominate and perform at a high standard with success, your pysche says you do it against people who are at a higher standard. Examine your own professional careers, you've probably said to yourself that your too good for where you work, you can go into and perform at a more rewarding company. Many players run on confidence so individual success is great, the managerial staff will say can he cut it for us and if so likely call them up.....providing there isn't a pandemic affecting the logistics

Or you think you are really good and your confidence is high but then realise that all the things that work for you at a lower level dont work against better players.

The MLS is about the same standard as the Scottish Premier. Just a general point.

If you are a defender is Scotland for example you could get away with being average as most strikers are average but go and play against a top striker and their pace, touch, speed of thought and technique will be like a whirlwind that you didnt see coming.

17 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Scotland under 18s player Flynn Clarke scored in the EFL trophy(i know its not the best trophy)tonight, the Peterborough manager has been raving about him and likely to be getting a lot of game time this season at 17 years old.

He name sounds like a character in a hardboiled detective story.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lewis Morgan should be in our future squads. Would be good if he moved back to Europe. We don't have alot of relatively young talented wingers who have flair and natural ability. 

He would likely be in the squad just now if he wasn’t in the US. I’m not sure if Clarke mentioned Morgan and Russell when he announced the latest squad but he did in September. I’m sure he said both weren’t in the squad because of the difficulty in getting out and back into the US.