Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 218 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Fraser being quite simply awful for Newcastle against Newport. If he is the answer then god knows what the question is.

Cue, a second half hat trick from the wee man. 🤣🤣

1 bad performance doesn't mean he's a bad player. He's our best winger by quite a bit. Not very committed to Scotland though which is another problem. 

Why do we still see mctominay being significant to Scotland . He was a bit of a car crash in the last two games , okay he isn’t a defender , but I never see much in him as a midfielder either , which is plain to see in the limited games he plays for man united.

Edited by DAVIDB46

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Why do we still see mctominay being significant to Scotland . He was a bit of a car crash in the last two games , okay he isn’t a defender , but I never see much in him as a midfielder either , which is plain to see in the limited games he plays for man united.

I agree. Even though he's a man united player I don't see him as a certain starter for us. 

14 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He's started more games for Man Utd this season than any one else in the squad and would walk into any team in Scotland and more than half the teams in the Premiership.

Basically if you have a squad number at any of the big five in England you are good enough for Scotland.

People always have short memories re players. Before lockdown in March Mctomminay was having a terrific season. One particular game last season away at Man City he was excellent. Although hardly a young player now he’s got plenty years ahead of him and dips in form are inevitable at his age.If you go right through that league players forms have been all over the place. Fleck was the same.  

And for it’s worth dont get why Clarke is playing him as centre half. He’s got stature, presence and should hopefully nail down a place in centre mid for us 

21 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I suggest you watch the previous two matches again. He made one glaring mistake in both, but other than that, he was fine. He actually started off the move that lead to Dyke's goal.

He scored 5 goals for United last season, and before the lockdown, he was United's best performer, along with Fernandez.

For Scotland, he's one of the first names on the team-sheet.

Put it into perspective. Would Christie get any games for Man United? McGregor? Jack? Fleck? Neither of them when would make the bench. They wouldn't even get one minute between them, in an entire season.

24 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Hes clearly not a centre back so Clarke playing there was always going to be a struggle for him. Hes a good midfielder and would probably be a starter for most lower half epl sides and the old firm. He's maybe not the world beater we want but he's easily good enough to start games for us. 

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hes clearly not a centre back so Clarke playing there was always going to be a struggle for him. Hes a good midfielder and would probably be a starter for most lower half epl sides and the old firm. He's maybe not the world beater we want but he's easily good enough to start games for us. 

Got to b honest and say before the game I thought he was our best option for a right footed central defender in a back three. In fact he probably still is if being right footed is the be all and end all.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got to b honest and say before the game I thought he was our best option for a right footed central defender in a back three. In fact he probably still is if being right footed is the be all and end all.

Is porteous right footed? 

I would think Mctominay he may be better and more effect for us if he took a loan move somwhere and played more regularly. Not impossible that could happen 

of course he has scored tonight getting forwards , but still feel, there is little chance of him doing that in Scotland shirt or being able to in our set up

6 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hes 21...at what point is he old enough?

That was sarcasm, based on the current manager and the way Scottish football works.

In fact if you think about it that's why Turnbull has only managed 45 minutes at Parkhead and Rangers keep dumping all their young players.

Of course he is old enough.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

17 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I would think Mctominay he may be better and more effect for us if he took a loan move somwhere and played more regularly. Not impossible that could happen 

of course he has scored tonight getting forwards , but still feel, there is little chance of him doing that in Scotland shirt or being able to in our set up

He played 37 times last season, hes a valuable part of the man utd squad. He doesn't need a loan move if he plays 35+ games a season. 

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That was sarcasm, based on the current manager and the way Scottish football works.

In fact if you think about it that's why Turnbull has only managed 45 minutes at Parkhead and Rangers keep dumping all their young players.

Of course he is old enough.

My bad...without going full Tadger1996, I'd far rather see the likes of Porteous getting a cap ahead of Gallacher and a guy like Hickey getting exposure to the full squad over someone like SOD

5 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

My bad...without going full Tadger1996, I'd far rather see the likes of Porteous getting a cap ahead of Gallacher and a guy like Hickey getting exposure to the full squad over someone like SOD

Agree 100%. But I would add a fair few more to SOD to allow younger players to start getting the feel of international football.

Massive difference turning up for training with Robertson and McGinn than turning up for the under 21's, although they do have a better coach

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agree 100%. But I would add a fair few more to SOD to allow younger players to start getting the feel of international football.

Massive difference turning up for training with Robertson and McGinn than turning up for the under 21's, although they do have a better coach

Agreed...I'd have a nucleus of 18-20 experienced guys and 4 or 5, younger lads who we think could benefit from higher level exposure...my 5 would be Porteous, Hickey, Turnbull, Gilmour when fit, and Hornby