Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 215 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Guest ElChris04
13 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Harry Souttar had a great game today for Stoke. Would have been considered for next months games. SFA shouldn’t have let him choose Australia. Bizarre that they have him (and a lesser extent Boyle), yet we have Dykes. 

Disappointed we lost out on Harry Soutter and Boyle? Aye.

But in the grand scheme of things if I could only pick one of those 3 to take for Scotland, it would be Dykes, thankfully we now have him, and at one point I’m sure a lot of us thought he was a cert for Australia, some boost when he chose us in the end. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

The dog was born england bit his dad was born in scotland whilst his grandmother was on holiday.

Ah, see that won't go down well with some folk. 

Aww shite I just remembered a certain poster on here who used to go on about "The Dog" all the time :oops:

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

James Forrest is supposed to be struggling to make these games.

Who is likely to take his place ?

Ryan Fraser, obligatory "injury" notwithstanding (although, I see he isn't in the Newcastle squad today, so maybe he actually is injured at the moment!).

Matt Phillips featured for West Brom yesterday, so he could come in, and Oliver Burke is getting a game for Sheffield United - I'd expect him to be in the squad too.

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Disappointed we lost out on Harry Soutter and Boyle? Aye.

But in the grand scheme of things if I could only pick one of those 3 to take for Scotland, it would be Dykes, thankfully we now have him, and at one point I’m sure a lot of us thought he was a cert for Australia, some boost when he chose us in the end. 

Boyle is no better than anyone we already have, although he'd possibly have had a decent chance of making the next squad given we've a few wide players struggling with injuries just now.

Time will tell with Souttar; from what I've seen of him so far though he's like a bigger, ganglier even more error-prone version of his brother.

Of the three, at the moment, I'd say Dykes is the best player to have on board. I'm glad he chose to play for Scotland.

35 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Ryan Fraser, obligatory "injury" notwithstanding (although, I see he isn't in the Newcastle squad today, so maybe he actually is injured at the moment!).

Matt Phillips featured for West Brom yesterday, so he could come in, and Oliver Burke is getting a game for Sheffield United - I'd expect him to be in the squad too.

Boyle is no better than anyone we already have, although he'd possibly have had a decent chance of making the next squad given we've a few wide players struggling with injuries just now.

Time will tell with Souttar; from what I've seen of him so far though he's like a bigger, ganglier even more error-prone version of his brother.

Of the three, at the moment, I'd say Dykes is the best player to have on board. I'm glad he chose to play for Scotland.

I was going to say its a straight swap with fraser if forrest is injured, that was assuming fraser is fit. Apparently Fraser has a slightly sore groin and bruce didnt want to risk him. 

I can see armstrong on the right, mcginne behind dykes and then christie on the left. 

If Fraser has even the slightest hint of injury he will not want to be called up. 

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I was going to say its a straight swap with fraser if forrest is injured, that was assuming fraser is fit. Apparently Fraser has a [b]slightly sore groin[/b] and bruce didnt want to risk him. 

I can see armstrong on the right, mcginne behind dykes and then christie on the left. 

If Fraser has even the slightest hint of injury he will not want to be called up. 

Sounds like a Ryan Fraser injury.  :lol:

Seriously, I guess it isn't his fault if his boss decides he isn't fit enough. I wonder if Steve Bruce will regret that decision though...

19 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Harry Souttar had a great game today for Stoke. Would have been considered for next months games. SFA shouldn’t have let him choose Australia. Bizarre that they have him (and a lesser extent Boyle), yet we have Dykes. 

Yeh it could come back to haunt us. Hes only 21 and might get a fair run of games this season. Could develop into a good centre back. 

Going to throw some stats about for the Celtic Hibs game.

McGregor, even though he has been shocking for Scotland recently he is still one of the best Midfielders in the SPL for contribution in a match. Managed three shots at goal, 95%pass success rate and held the ball for longer than any one bar Bitton.

Only 45 minutes but Turnball could be some player. 92% pass rate. 61 touches of the ball in 45 minutes(to put that in context McGregor had 89 in 90 minutes) 4 key passes(more than anyone on park) including an assist. Plus he takes the corners Can't remember a decent corner by Scotland.

I don't think Kevin Nisbet will be at Hibs much longer. Despite having only 35% of possession he still managed 5 attempts at goal (most on pitch), 3 successful dribbles (most on pitch) and 4 tackles(more than any one bar Hanlon with 5)). I probably read too much into a striker who can tackle but  from our point of view the further up the park we can keep the ball the better. Only a pile of stats but Nisbet was by a mile the best Hibs player.

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McGregor, even though he has been shocking for Scotland recently he is still one of the best Midfielders in the SPL for contribution in a match. Managed three shots at goal, 95%pass success rate and held the ball for longer than any one bar Bitton.

Only 45 minutes but Turnball could be some player. 92% pass rate. 61 touches of the ball in 45 minutes(to put that in context McGregor had 89 in 90 minutes) 4 key passes(more than anyone on park) including an assist. Plus he takes the corners Can't remember a decent corner by Scotland.

I don't think Kevin Nisbet will be at Hibs much longer. Despite having only 35% of possession he still managed 5 attempts at goal (most on pitch), 3 successful dribbles (most on pitch) and 4 tackles(more than any one bar Hanlon with 5)). I probably read too much into a striker who can tackle but  from our point of view the further up the park we can keep the ball the better. Only a pile of stats but Nisbet was by a mile the best Hibs player.

McGregor is usually excellent for celtic but he rarely is for Scotland but you could say that about most of our squad. Turnbull looks promising, our future midfield options look very good. 

Yeh Nisbet will be snapped up in the near future. Nice to see a Scottish striker coming through as we are usually short in that position. 

Leigh Griffiths on the celtic bench is more good news. Hopefully he can get some gametime and get himself back in the squad. 

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

This underlines the fact that stats hide an important component. 

How many of these passes were forward? How many were key? How many broke the lines? How many started goal scoring opportunities?

This is why, in this day of statistics for pretty much everything, teams still employ scouts and watch hours and hours of videos. 

We all know McGregor, we know that the vast majority of that 95% will have been safe five yard passes, either backwards of sideways. All he does is recycle the ball and keep things to ticking over. Fleck,  Christie and Jack are all in the same mould.

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The stats will look good most of the time for most celtic players when they play at home.

59 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We all know McGregor, we know that the vast majority of that 95% will have been safe five yard passes, either backwards of sideways. All he does is recycle the ball and keep things to ticking over. Fleck,  Christie and Jack are all in the same mould.

I take it your at the wind up including Christie?

Edited by ceudmilefailte

47 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The stats will look good most of the time for most celtic players when they play at home.

Perhaps but it doesn't take away from the 45 minutes Turnball played or Nisbets performance.

McGregor might not be everyone's cup of tea but when he plays well the rest of the team have more freedom. Every one needs a reliable outlet and an on form McGregor is just that.