Tartan Army Embarrassment - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army Embarrassment

slasher

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

In my experience at least 50% (probably higher among football supporters) of people are total fannies and being a Scotland supporter doesn’t change this. 

One of the greatest things Iv ever read on here 👍, would look good on a t shirt 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it on another post but I’d just patch playing England for as long as possible. Everybody was buzzing after Friday and now folk are arguing about anthems and on a downer. If it was any other top nation we played last night we’d shrug and move on. Games like that also increase the arsehole ratio at games naturally as the part timers want to turn up

11 minutes ago, Eassy said:

Said it on another post but I’d just patch playing England for as long as possible. Everybody was buzzing after Friday and now folk are arguing about anthems and on a downer. If it was any other top nation we played last night we’d shrug and move on. Games like that also increase the arsehole ratio at games naturally as the part timers want to turn up

The booing subject comes up and is debated at length after every single England game. As others have said its not exactly new. But I agree, I dont think anything would be lost by not playing them for a while. 
I dont actually feel that folk are on a downer though, if anything I have been pleasantly surprised at how realistic most folk seem to be. This game will be forgotten soon too . Its good we only have a few weeks till the next game even if it is the toughest opposition. 

Edited by TDYER63

I wonder how much Ally McCoist got for his forelock tugging political stunt last night

If you are going to go from hero to zero it better have been worth it

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Playing the English hasn’t always been the wretched experience it has become. Pre match at Euro 96 we met a great bunch of lads from Leicester. We ended up going out with them up the west end after the game.

Lately though I dunno so much. I met some unsavoury characters yesterday, one of whom thought it was ok to perv on the missus till I put him straight. I saw a kid in the Crystal Palace , couldn’t have been more than 17/18 singing‘ ‘Scotland get battered everywhere they go’ at the bar, arms outstretched looking for a reaction. I was amazed he didn’t get one and we got out of there before I lost the rag. 
As others have said I’ll be happy if it’s a long time before we come across them again. They bring out the worst in us and their smug, condescending attitude towards us doesn’t help matters.

You forget to mention the scottish father with his kid who was slashed that night? Or the number of scottish fans chased through the streets? Come on yesterday was timid 

40 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I wonder how much Ally McCoist got for his forelock tugging political stunt last night

If you are going to go from hero to zero it better have been worth it

Iv mentioned it numerous times on different threads the man is an utter welt. I genuinely cannot understand why anybody would have any other opinion on him, cheeky chappy cunt that he is

43 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You forget to mention the scottish father with his kid who was slashed that night? Or the number of scottish fans chased through the streets? Come on yesterday was timid 

No, I didn’t forget. I was speaking about personal experience. I thought that was clear 🤷🏼‍♂️

Whether or not booing the "English" national anthem is considered outrageous, cringeworthy or par for the course, the media never seem to reflect on why there is booing.

They seem to think it is 'booing the opposition's anthem' as if it is a simple matter of respecting the opposition, as you hope they expect to respect ours. But the media never seem to bother to unpick that it might have something to do with the fact the opposition's anthem is all about their and our king, and the crowd is as much booing our own monarchy, as the opposition's anthem. Then again, there is also the matter of England appropriating the British national anthem as their own, which no one ever seems to mention either. I'm pretty sure there would be less booing if England played Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Or even Swing Low... though on second thoughts, probably there would still be booing.

I remember at the Liechtenstein game, their anthem was roundly booed, because it was the same tune as GSTQ. It was as if the crowd had a sudden kneejerk reaction to the tune, forgetting the opposition wasn't even England. 😅

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Whether or not booing the "English" national anthem is considered outrageous, cringeworthy or par for the course, the media never seem to reflect on why there is booing.

They seem to think it is 'booing the opposition's anthem' as if it is a simple matter of respecting the opposition, as you hope they expect to respect ours. But the media never seem to bother to unpick that it might have something to do with the fact the opposition's anthem is all about their and our king, and the crowd is as much booing our own monarchy, as the opposition's anthem. Then again, there is also the matter of England appropriating the British national anthem as their own, which no one ever seems to mention either. I'm pretty sure there would be less booing if England played Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Or even Swing Low... though on second thoughts, probably there would still be booing.

I remember at the Liechtenstein game, their anthem was roundly booed, because it was the same tune as GSTQ. It was as if the crowd had a sudden kneejerk reaction to the tune, forgetting the opposition wasn't even England. 😅

😂

The media only want to court controversy, any logical explanation doesn’t sell papers or prompt rabid fighting.

I would guarantee there would be far less booing if it was another tune. 

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The booing subject comes up and is debated at length after every single England game. As others have said its not exactly new. But I agree, I dont think anything would be lost by not playing them for a while. 
I dont actually feel that folk are on a downer though, if anything I have been pleasantly surprised at how realistic most folk seem to be. This game will be forgotten soon too . Its good we only have a few weeks till the next game even if it is the toughest opposition. 

Agreed.  I honestly don't give a duck about last night 

Friday was the one giving me the fear. Viva scotland. 

4 hours ago, exile said:

I think England should go with Sweet Caroline. 

14 hours ago, exile said:

Did we appropriate gstq in the 70s

tbh ive no recollection of n ireland anthem

there was some anti tories chant from Scotland end at Larnaca last friday ; not sure what its got to do with the football either

49 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

there was some anti tories chant from Scotland end at Larnaca last friday ; not sure what its got to do with the football either

GSTQ was booed in the 70s - ironically when the majority of Scotland Fans supported Rangers

The SFA dumped it in 1982 - what the article doesn't state is that it was partly because of it being booed

https://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2010/02/07/13533-2601/

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

NI have used GSTQ/GSTK for as long as I can remember, the NI Commonwealth games association are obviously more inclusive, they use Danny Boy.

39 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

GSTQ was booed in the 70s - ironically when the majority of Scotland Fans supported Rangers

The SFA dumped it in 1982 - what the article doesn't state is that it was partly because of it being booed

https://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2010/02/07/13533-2601/

Yeah old enough to remember that / days when lion rampant v saltire ratio was likely 90/10 - now opposite

was really just commenting on the use of “appropriation” although inherited is likely a better term

Scotland the Brave wasn’t really that warmly embraced as a replacement from memory / as not really sing a long with Max material

to this day FoS always seems disjointed between band & crowd

french & welsh seem the best

in canada theyve started fannying about with the words to appease the wokeanistas - was a he/her change and latest bit focuses on “native land”

at least everyone seems to stand / take of hats / sing along 

Agree on the point around very little benefit from playing England (or Ireland in some sense for that matter).

Any meeting between the sides is immediately followed by the same repetitive cesspit of ambulance chasing around national anthems, specific songs, violence (or rumours thereof) and apparently now Harry Maguire's mental health.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

NI have used GSTQ/GSTK for as long as I can remember, the NI Commonwealth games association are obviously more inclusive, they use Danny Boy.

Remember thinking it was a missed opportunity for them at Euro2016, Londonderry Air/ Danny Boy would've gone down a storm as their anthem rather than the usual dirge