Tartan Army Embarrassment - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army Embarrassment

slasher

12 hours ago, slasher said:

The huns away support were singing ‘you can stick yer tartan army up yer arse’ yesterday (not for the first time) so I think we can safely say those days have gone.

Plenty of Rangers that follow Scotland, i was in Cyprus with a few but they are thankfully the ones with a brain. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of Rangers that follow Scotland, i was in Cyprus with a few but they are thankfully the ones with a brain. 

When the SSC did their year end survey it came out that the most commonly supported club team amongst the supporters club (regardless of whether these people are elite 32 pointers or just go to the odd home game) were Rangers fans.

Yes, there are clear distinctions to be made that a large cross section vociferously detest the national team due to grudges with either the SFA (irrelevant in my opinion) or more ideologically with what it 'means' to support Scotland. I can see the argument there. But the key point is that Rangers fans can, and do, support Scotland. Some people just aren't very open minded about it.

Rangers and Celtic fans who make up a huge cross section of the Scotland support are less likely to voice it openly on Scotland trips due to the issues it can cause and because primarily they are there to support Scotland. This is more of a liberty that supporters of smaller teams can take more comfortably, which we see more and more nowadays (club jerseys, club badges on flags etc).

Not that I mind any of this, it's just part and parcel of the bigger picture of the National Team support. Nor do I care about ambulance chasing to uphold this imaginary "reputation" that the Tartan Army have. Believe it or not, the public opinion of the Tartan Army and our drunken behaviour and flamboyant dress is actually seen as a source of embarrassment as much as pride from what I've witnessed.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

When the SSC did their year end survey it came out that the most commonly supported club team amongst the supporters club (regardless of whether these people are elite 32 pointers or just go to the odd home game) were Rangers fans.

Yes, there are clear distinctions to be made that a large cross section vociferously detest the national team due to grudges with either the SFA (irrelevant in my opinion) or more ideologically with what it 'means' to support Scotland. I can see the argument there. But the key point is that Rangers fans can, and do, support Scotland. Some people just aren't very open minded about it.

Rangers and Celtic fans who make up a huge cross section of the Scotland support are less likely to voice it openly on Scotland trips due to the issues it can cause and because primarily they are there to support Scotland. This is more of a liberty that supporters of smaller teams can take more comfortably, which we see more and more nowadays (club jerseys, club badges on flags etc).

Not that I mind any of this, it's just part and parcel of the bigger picture of the National Team support. Nor do I care about ambulance chasing to uphold this imaginary "reputation" that the Tartan Army have. Believe it or not, the public opinion of the Tartan Army and our drunken behaviour and flamboyant dress is actually seen as a source of embarrassment as much as pride from what I've witnessed.

Michael Bochel tweeted: "Probably a good opportunity to dispel some myths about the Scotland support. Based on the last time I looked (Dec 2018) the teams supported by Supporter Club members in order of % were:

Rangers

Aberdeen

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Kilmarnock

Dundee United

St Mirren"

Edited by Squirrelhumper

We where in a few pubs in city centre (Times Square &  Maggie Mays) they had a mixture of both fans, the English lads where by and large up for the football and a good day out in the City, there was definitely a small element of the travelling support that where trying their best to get a reaction from the Scotland support. . . . . . . . . However it was all pretty tame when comparing previous England visits to Glasgow.

1985 was the very first time I saw an actual England travelling support at Hampden, as prior to that I don't think I ever saw any English fans at Hampden, 1987 there was enough of them to be given a section of the away end (those days a section of the Celtic end / East terrace), then in 1989 they came up in their thousands with a large mob of casuals / firms, that day was utter carnage, inside the ground their was fighting and running battles after the game and city centre that evening.

1999 was bad but tame when compared with the 1989 game.

16 hours ago, slasher said:

The huns away support were singing ‘you can stick yer tartan army up yer arse’ yesterday (not for the first time) so I think we can safely say those days have gone.

Nice try 👍, I regularly meet up with Rangers supporting Scotland fans and have done for years. I doubt they would have been joining in with the chants at the weekend in the same way I’m guessing all Celtic fans don’t sing about terrorists from another country 

Edited by dan cake

19 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

in 1989 they came up in their thousands with a large mob of casuals / firms, that day was utter carnage, inside the ground their was fighting and running battles after the game and city centre that evening.

1999 was bad but tame when compared with the 1989 game.

I was working in central Edinburgh that day, there was blood all over the Waverley steps and the North bridge at 10 o’clock in the morning. Had my coffee watching various English firms battling each other outside the Balmoral hotel, not a sight you see every day thankfully 

Edited by dan cake

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

think ive commented  on here before on my view that Mexico 86 was a watershed moment ; the Souness resurgence at rangers ; then not too long after Ireland are on our screens for first time (in any real way) and are re-branded as a 'home' nation - the start of OF fans migrating to watch other countries (on tv) losing interest in National team , as club allegiances become stronger (ranger champs lge run etc) rangers fans wearing england tops / celtic fans wearing Ireland tops

tbh was a bit of a shock to be openly goaded about supporting your national team  - stadium bar by ibrox before either Italy or Portugal game USA 94 qualifiers (tbh it put me off so much i was out of it for about 10yrs after) watching a crap game - getting home 2am ish didn't help

then ; back at it - Berti/Walter ; home game , some Irish pub on way to hampden ; you guessed it .....

29 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I was working in central Edinburgh that day, there was blood all over the Waverley steps and the North bridge at 10 o’clock in the morning. Had my coffee watching various English firms battling each other outside the Balmoral hotel, not a sight you see every day thankfully 

Can believe that DC, it was absolute carnage in Glasgow that weekend, worst trouble I have ever witnessed at a football game, that game pretty much ended The Home Internationals / Rous Cup end of season tournament

1 hour ago, glasgow jock said:

Can believe that DC, it was absolute carnage in Glasgow that weekend, worst trouble I have ever witnessed at a football game, that game pretty much ended The Home Internationals / Rous Cup end of season tournament

Firms arrived in Waverley from all over England to change trains for Glasgow, the transport police did their best but the English just left the station and fought in the surrounding streets. Luckily not too many shoppers around at the time so no “innocents” involved, up there with the G8 summit for the craziest shit Iv witnessed in Edinburgh 

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Nice try 👍, I regularly meet up with Rangers supporting Scotland fans and have done for years. I doubt they would have been joining in with the chants at the weekend in the same way I’m guessing all Celtic fans don’t sing about terrorists from another country 

I don’t know what you mean by ‘nice try?’ I was replying to a post about Scotland fans singing the sash back in the day. I wish some people would read the thread properly before jumping all over folk. 
I’m well aware plenty of Rangers fans still attend Scotland games, I travel with some of them!

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don’t know what you mean by ‘nice try?’ I was replying to a post about Scotland fans singing the sash back in the day. I wish some people would read the thread properly before jumping all over folk. 
I’m well aware plenty of Rangers fans still attend Scotland games, I travel with some of them!

Has Ally mccoist told the world he is disgusted with the rangers fans singings ye can stick yer tartan army up yer arse?

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Has Ally mccoist told the world he is disgusted with the rangers fans singings ye can stick yer tartan army up yer arse?

Funnily enough was watching UnXplained with William Shatner (my guilty pleasure) last night and got me thinking who he looks like

IMG_4406.jpeg