Tartan Army Embarrassment - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army Embarrassment

slasher

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Something I was thinking about earlier. Would a different English anthem be booed as widely? Ie if they sung Jeruselum like they do at the rugby.

Personally I wouldnt boo that but I do boo GSTQ

I don't think so. The historical context of the song is primarily what drives the booing, imo - something that a song like 'Jerusalem' doesn't have.

36 minutes ago, JAGSNAN1876 said:

The booing of the UK national anthem and the singing of someone in a box was nothing short of vile and is why I won’t associate with the Tartan Army any longer and gave up my membership years ago . The failed Indy referendum has turned Scotland into a wee bitter 

Do you follow club football? Would you stop following your club team of the fans sing songs you dont like?

21 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Something I was thinking about earlier. Would a different English anthem be booed as widely? Ie if they sung Jeruselum like they do at the rugby.

I think their rugby team sing GSTK too.

Jerusalem is definitely used at the Commonwealth Games though.

48 minutes ago, JAGSNAN1876 said:

The booing of the UK national anthem and the singing of someone in a box was nothing short of vile and is why I won’t associate with the Tartan Army any longer and gave up my membership years ago . The failed Indy referendum has turned Scotland into a wee bitter backwater

Aye am sure you did, the play offs in 2000 Booing will have been labours fault,, considering the words to GSTQ, I am all for booing it, 

Was not that long ago the English media were getting their knickers in a twist over Liverpool fans drowning it out at Wembley with booing.

Scotland fans were booing GSTQ/K long before the SNP were even in a position of creditable power in Scotland, so they are clutching at straws if they think this is a new thing that has only surfaced in the last few years.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Personally I wouldnt boo that but I do boo GSTQ

I wouldn’t boo any other anthem.

I boo GSTK because of the utter pish of kowtowing to an outdated monarchy that i dont agree with and have no choice but to accept as part of the UK . I would boo it at NI matches too. 

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Was not that long ago the English media were getting their knickers in a twist over Liverpool fans drowning it out at Wembley with booing.

Scotland fans were booing GSTQ/K long before the SNP were even in a position of creditable power in Scotland, so they are clutching at straws if they think this is a new thing that has only surfaced in the last few years.

Salmond and Sturgeon were fairly ambivalent on the subject if I recall which  makes it even more ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

We've played England regularly (six times?) over the past decade and none in the decade before, so people have forgotten GSTQ/K was getting booed long before that - and not just against England - and are blaming it on independence/SNP supporters as the early parts of indyref campaign coincided with the first game of the recent six.

I'm fairly certain the SFA stopped using GSTQ as our anthem in the 80s because it was getting booed by our own supporters. It's certainly not a new phenomenon.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

We've played England regularly (six times?) over the past decade and none in the decade before, so people have forgotten GSTQ/K was getting booed long before that - and not just against England - and are blaming it on independence/SNP supporters as the early parts of indyref campaign coincided with the first game of the recent six.

I'm fairly certain the SFA stopped using GSTQ as our anthem in the 80s because it was getting booed by our own supporters. It's certainly not a new phenomenon.

Yeah, before the last majpr game at Hampden, probably the only times it was boo'ed was when we played Northern Ireland a hand full of times (sure it was booed at the 92 game).

GSTQ was used at 74 and 78 WC's.... 74 a lot of the support was made up of Squaddies based in Germany, but the players were not happy with its use.

Apparently 78 was the last straw when looked along team line up and hardly any of the players were singing it, so was decided to go with Scotland the Brave (which then brought the issue that hardly anyone knows the words to it.... so while players looked more cheery in line up's, they were just mouthing empty words).

SRU introducing Flower of Scotland in the late 80's and the epic rendition in the early 90's made the SFA change their tact was FOS was made the official anthem from 94 onward (between 92 and 94 they had a habit of changing between STB and FOS) 

Playing the English hasn’t always been the wretched experience it has become. Pre match at Euro 96 we met a great bunch of lads from Leicester. We ended up going out with them up the west end after the game.

Lately though I dunno so much. I met some unsavoury characters yesterday, one of whom thought it was ok to perv on the missus till I put him straight. I saw a kid in the Crystal Palace , couldn’t have been more than 17/18 singing‘ ‘Scotland get battered everywhere they go’ at the bar, arms outstretched looking for a reaction. I was amazed he didn’t get one and we got out of there before I lost the rag. 
As others have said I’ll be happy if it’s a long time before we come across them again. They bring out the worst in us and their smug, condescending attitude towards us doesn’t help matters.

Edited by slasher

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Playing the English hasn’t always been the wretched experience it has become. Pre match at Euro 96 we met a great bunch of lads from Leicester. We ended up going out with them up the west end after the game.

Lately though I dunno so much. I met some unsavoury characters yesterday, one of whom thought it was ok to perv on the missus till I put him straight. I saw a kid in the Crystal Palace , couldn’t have been more than 17/18 singing‘ ‘Scotland get battered everywhere they go’ at the bar, arms outstretched looking for a reaction. I was amazed he didn’t get one and we got out of there before I lost the rag. 
As others have said I’ll be happy if it’s a long time before we come across them again. They bring out the worst in us and their smug, condescending attitude towards us doesn’t help matters.

I think Euro 96 was the exception (I would compare the atmosphere at Euro 2020 as very similar) as you just have to look how poisonous the atmosphere was at the 1999 game in Glasgow (people talk about the 89 game, but 1999 was a case of lets get the game out the way and get back home as soon as we arrived in Glasgow that morning).

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

I have heard of the Harry Kane song before last night, but never actually heard anyone sing it until last night.

Guy beside me started chatting it, looked at me and saw I was giving him daggers and he just stopped.

No place for such a song!

Were very nearly punches through in the away end in Cyprus cos wee idiots with too much bevy in them were singing it. 

1 hour ago, JAGSNAN1876 said:

The booing of the UK national anthem and the singing of someone in a box was nothing short of vile and is why I won’t associate with the Tartan Army any longer and gave up my membership years ago . The failed Indy referendum has turned Scotland into a wee bitter backwater

Good - don't need bootlickers like you. 

GTSQ/QSTK has been booed for decades, quite rightly. 

I notice you haven't mentioned England fans getting the minutes silence cut short or booing FoS every time we play them? 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

I don't think so. The historical context of the song is primarily what drives the booing, imo - something that a song like 'Jerusalem' doesn't have.

Exactly this.

I wouldn't boo any anthem personally but I couldn't care a jot if GSTK gets booed (save for the fact it possibly motivates the opposition).  I've nae time for the royal family or what they stand for.

27 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good - don't need bootlickers like you. 

GTSQ/QSTK has been booed for decades, quite rightly. 

I notice you haven't mentioned England fans getting the minutes silence cut short or booing FoS every time we play them? 

I was going to ask about that - I wasn't at the game but going by social media apparently a minutes silence for Craig Brown was disrupted by England fans.  Did that really happen??

56 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm surprised he didn't get battered, the wee shite.

57 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think Euro 96 was the exception (I would compare the atmosphere at Euro 2020 as very similar) as you just have to look how poisonous the atmosphere was at the 1999 game in Glasgow (people talk about the 89 game, but 1999 was a case of lets get the game out the way and get back home as soon as we arrived in Glasgow that morning).

The first England game I went to at Wembley was 1988 and that was well moody, no real segregation and the section we were in there was a lot of serious fighting going on down the front, thankfully we got in just before kick off and so were up at the back and weren't involved.   1999 there was definitely an atmosphere around the place but I didn't see any bother.