Tartan Army Embarrassment - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army Embarrassment

slasher

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Support were fine tonight. Loudest booing of GSTQ ive heard. Wonderful rendition of FoS.

When game kicked off the Scotland fans treated the game for what it was, a friendly. You arent ever going to get non stop vocal home support singing in these games. When things happened on the pitch the crowd reacted accordingly.

Didnt hear the Harry Kane song but no reason to doubt that it was sung. Stupid song as are many and you have to question any grown adult singing it. Same as the adults who play hard man to the away support knowing theres about 50 yards and 100 police between them.

As others have said, some fans left at 3-1. Not surprising and wasnt a mass exodus.

On another note. Half time is getting worse every campaign.

Pretty much this. Thought the atmosphere was alright. 

I do think we need to ditch Yes Sir I Can Boogie and Loch Lomond though. The former was a laugh at the time but it's had its moment. And Loch Lomond - I remember when the place was rocking with it, but maybe it's a younger crowd at games now but it's not hitting the same (although I'm starting to doubt myself now as not sure I actually heard it tonight).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, slasher said:

The team had an off night, but fuck me the support had a shocker!

From ‘Harry Kane’s a mongo’ to the complete lack of support when the team really needed it to the mass exodus at the 3rd goal. Embarrassing.

The ‘tartan army/Hampden roar’ is now a complete myth!

Blitzed on a Tuesday night isnae a good look big man...

...the fans need something to feed off, and the team gave them next to nothing. When the 3rd goal goes in, folk start to think about buses, trains, getting to work the next day, making sure the weans are OK for school.

The team were a shambles last night...I wouldn't blame the Tartan Army for that

I have heard of the Harry Kane song before last night, but never actually heard anyone sing it until last night.

Guy beside me started chatting it, looked at me and saw I was giving him daggers and he just stopped.

No place for such a song!

33 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Blitzed on a Tuesday night isnae a good look big man...

...the fans need something to feed off, and the team gave them next to nothing. When the 3rd goal goes in, folk start to think about buses, trains, getting to work the next day, making sure the weans are OK for school.

The team were a shambles last night...I wouldn't blame the Tartan Army for that

Am not sure when the leaving early : logistical obsession started for the masses ; but was intrigued by couple of TA guys in front of us in larnaca ( away end ) discussing when to leave to make a getaway in rental car… to put into context there was barely any traffic around stadium - the 5/6 k away fans were mostly bussed ie leaving later , seemed just cars parked on wasteland outside- we just walked and tbh seen more congestion leaving Cove ( but bit more ofa travel:time:cost commitment)

its crept into the game the same way as “ can take my family to the game as the burgers and drinks are so expensive “ eg it’s mandatory to add that to price of tickets as people have lost ability to last 90 mins without food / feed themselves/ think for themselves

Been in london/cyprus for few weeks i am now seriously contemplating the idea that a stealth ‘ invasion of the bodysnatchers ‘ is occurring- vapid tatooed vaping fvckwits seem everywhere 

only a few years away and we ll see pitbulls on easyjet

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am not sure when the leaving early : logistical obsession started for the masses ; but was intrigued by couple of TA guys in front of us in larnaca ( away end ) discussing when to leave to make a getaway in rental car… to put into context there was barely any traffic around stadium - the 5/6 k away fans were mostly bussed ie leaving later , seemed just cars parked on wasteland outside- we just walked and tbh seen more congestion leaving Cove ( but bit more ofa travel:time:cost commitment)

its crept into the game the same way as “ can take my family to the game as the burgers and drinks are so expensive “ eg it’s mandatory to add that to price of tickets as people have lost ability to last 90 mins without food / feed themselves/ think for themselves

Been in london/cyprus for few weeks i am now seriously contemplating the idea that a stealth ‘ invasion of the bodysnatchers ‘ is occurring- vapid tatooed vaping fvckwits seem everywhere 

only a few years away and we ll see pitbulls on easyjet

Apologies for rant off at tangent - that last bit on re-read wasnt aimed at TA as such ; more just grumpy old man syndrome observation ; in ayia napa…

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Harry Kane song was very poor. There were several other unsavoury chants I heard too. Appreciate feelings run high on these occasions but it's a fixture that does bring out the worst in us.

That’s why I’m still lying at the pool in Cyprus, I hate playing England everything to lose and nothing to gain.  The balance of arseholes to non arseholes swings like a pendulum for this fixture, always has

7 hours ago, Sempre said:

Pretty much this. Thought the atmosphere was alright. 

I do think we need to ditch Yes Sir I Can Boogie and Loch Lomond though. The former was a laugh at the time but it's had its moment. And Loch Lomond - I remember when the place was rocking with it, but maybe it's a younger crowd at games now but it's not hitting the same (although I'm starting to doubt myself now as not sure I actually heard it tonight).

When I first heard Loch Lomond at a home game I thought it was a great touch, despite or even because it's unlike or counterpoint to typical football chants/songs - gentle, homely, a bit bittersweet, rather than combative, gallus, in your face, and nothing to do with modern commercial football media /branding/consumerism.

Those have their place but I think Loch Lomond can bring everyone together, of all ages and whether they know football or not, and whatever the score, and whoever the opposition, it's our song, win or lose, this is who we are, and Loch Lomond just a few miles away too.

Maybe sounding a bit sentimental there, but if you can't connect people place and time in that way, why bother have Scotland games?

I thought the atmosphere was ok. It started really well . but,  as expected, dropped when we went 2-0 down. Rose again when we scored . We absolutely respond to tempo and goals but both were lacking . I feel we could do with drums or some co-ordinated area to key atmosphere ticking along but  this always seems to get kicked back when suggested. 

Harry Kane song was mortifying. That was a real embarrassment. Absolutely not fucking acceptable in any form. 

Thought the wee half time quiz was funny with the English Lawn Mower dig 😁

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Apologies for rant off at tangent - that last bit on re-read wasnt aimed at TA as such ; more just grumpy old man syndrome observation ; in ayia napa…

hahah am the same.  I'm glad i'm old enough to have seen the TA full of flags rather than mobile phones and vapes.

admittedly i am just a grump! haha

PS like Loch lomond too but they could maybe add to it.  the formula has got a bit stale; in saying that, it's upto the fans to play their part.  

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

hahah am the same.  I'm glad i'm old enough to have seen the TA full of flags rather than mobile phones and vapes.

admittedly i am just a grump! haha

PS like Loch lomond too but they could maybe add to it.  the formula has got a bit stale; in saying that, it's upto the fans to play their part.  

My last competitive away game was milan ; 2005/6 ? I did comment to my mate that pre game ‘bonhomie’ did seem to be flat these days - hes been to loads over the years but agreed ;and mentioned the phone dependency

did seem more of a remote group / clique thing these days ; seemed in past was more solo fans / randoms / outlander gear / party costumes etc

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

That’s why I’m still lying at the pool in Cyprus, I hate playing England everything to lose and nothing to gain.  The balance of arseholes to non arseholes swings like a pendulum for this fixture, always has

Yes Dan it certainly brings out the worst in our fans sadly. Same with level of outrage in the defeat. It gets magnified.

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

I had no intention of going to this game originally, have had  my fill of England games over the last few years, but the tickets were included in the package . I had intended selling them on but our winning streak gave me some confidence so decided just to go. Wont make that mistake again . England games bring out the worst in me and are no good for my blood pressure . 

I never heard the song personally however it needs called out, the rest is trivial, a Tuesday night friendly where we were outplayed by the better team, it’s sore that it’s England however get things into perspective,, you will always struggle to get an atmosphere, late on a Tuesday night at a friendly

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

I never heard the song personally however it needs called out, the rest is trivial, a Tuesday night friendly where we were outplayed by the better team, it’s sore that it’s England however get things into perspective,, you will always struggle to get an atmosphere, late on a Tuesday night at a friendly

Especially, if the home team does little to fire the fans up.

Loch Lomond is a cracking song but its been overdone. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the entertainment seems to be set before the campaign and then its just the same throughout.

I believe we should be playing different songs everytime, changing depending on the game and how we are playing etc. Theres something more enjoyable about hearing a song that you havent heard in ages that encourages you to sing along.

Ive never left a game early in my life and I dont really understand the "advantage" that it gives you but at the same time ive never been under any pressure to get home by a certain time. I live near Glasgow so travel isnt the same for me. You do get people who just arent bothered by watching the full game though.

A not insignificant part of the north stand comes in after the start of the game because they were having another drink in the pub. Ive never understood things like that. Nomatter where I go etc, the game is always the biggest thing. Even when we are getting humped, its 2 hours out of a X number of days trip. Id rather be there to the end, even if its just to see something that otherwise I would have missed.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Personally speAking would love the massed pipes and drums back.

I think the main reason for stopping it was FIFA rules on space needed for the players to warm up.

Also I think one of the main reasons the SFA stopped it completely was down to the amount of comp tickets bands were asking for to play games (sure one of the last massed bands we had play went moaning to the papers about how the SFA held back tickets from them).

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Loch Lomond is a cracking song but its been overdone. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the entertainment seems to be set before the campaign and then its just the same throughout.

I believe we should be playing different songs everytime, changing depending on the game and how we are playing etc. Theres something more enjoyable about hearing a song that you havent heard in ages that encourages you to sing along.

Ive never left a game early in my life and I dont really understand the "advantage" that it gives you but at the same time ive never been under any pressure to get home by a certain time. I live near Glasgow so travel isnt the same for me. You do get people who just arent bothered by watching the full game though.

A not insignificant part of the north stand comes in after the start of the game because they were having another drink in the pub. Ive never understood things like that. Nomatter where I go etc, the game is always the biggest thing. Even when we are getting humped, its 2 hours out of a X number of days trip. Id rather be there to the end, even if its just to see something that otherwise I would have missed.

Loch Lomond was good about 15 yrs ago , like you say its now overdone, though it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise when the crowd gets into it. 
You are right about different music getting played . The long wait we had for the Georgia game could have been a lot worse than for the DJ who had to use a bit of initiative on the night . 

Dont think i have ever left a game early either though I appreciate the hassle for people who live further afield . Its still not a quick and simple journey home even for those in the central belt. If you are driving you are stuck in  traffic for a fair bit of time no matter where you are eventually heading to. I would never leave early though unless it was absolutely necessary . Thought most of the crowd lasted to the end last night given a result that was difficult to swallow. 

5 minutes ago, JAGSNAN1876 said:

The booing of the UK national anthem and the singing of someone in a box was nothing short of vile and is why I won’t associate with the Tartan Army any longer and gave up my membership years ago . The failed Indy referendum has turned Scotland into a wee bitter backwater

It clearly bothers you enough to join the board just to tell us this . Thanks for your contribution 👍

10 minutes ago, JAGSNAN1876 said:

The booing of the UK national anthem and the singing of someone in a box was nothing short of vile and is why I won’t associate with the Tartan Army any longer and gave up my membership years ago . The failed Indy referendum has turned Scotland into a wee bitter backwater

Because booing GSTQ/GSTK only started in 2014?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/nov/14/euro2000.sport9

It had been very different at the start, when the home supporters kept up a magnificently sustained boo throughout God Save the Queen

Welcome to the board! 👋

Edited by Clyde1998