Slovakia v Scotland - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

Ultimately today was a weird one. Very deeply frustrated at losing the game as it piles on pressure for the game over in Israel.

And yet the performance was not the worst at all, particularly in the first half. In terms of most of the changes, there wasn't a significant drop off in quality and we had the better chances in the match.

However we did see a considerable drop off in quality up front and also in our final ball. On the latter first, our final ball was absolutely brutal at times, particularly in the second half where we were determined to float in a lazy cross without getting to the byline or try to thread a pass where none was on.

On the lack of quality up front, I know Oli McBurnie is given a lot of stick. But it is thoroughly merited. He should have scored when threaded through by Armstrong and his header, while under pressure, was straight at the keeper. He does not win anywhere near as much as Dykes and the ball does not stick up front for McBurnie. In my mind, Naismith and Griffiths are better options when both are fitter than the bold Oli.

Other than that, we missed McTominay and Tierney at centre half carrying the ball out into the midfield and we missed Jack to control the midfield. However, I think it is unfair to say any of the three centre halves did anything wrong, just that Cooper and Considine aren't as comfortable carrying the ball forward. The three centre halves did fine.

Tierney was absolutely outstanding at left wing back today, superb display and Christie did well, as much as the final ball didn't come off for him.

Ultimately it is a missed opportunity down to our own wastefulness, one which we may well regret come this time Wednesday night. And yet, there were more positives than negatives performance wise to take from the display.

Onto Wednesday and restoring our strongest team possible to start the match.

Just now, prideothenorth said:

Don't get why some on here think the Israel game will be a walkover. Just watched end of there match v Czech and even down to 10 men they kept trying and created a few chances. Not taking anything away from Scotland but we got a bit lucky in both games v Czech's

It will be tough.

Israel are well-organised. They defend in numbers and attack with pace. We have seen how we have struggled to break them down recently and Wednesday will be no different. If we win it will be a 1-0 win as we are not prolific scorers at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

Hmmm.

Us losing

Czechs winning

Wales winning

Austria winning

Not a great day.

Looks like the best we can do now is win the group and get promotion. Hopefully improve our standing for future draws. 

Being in top 2 by time of euro 2024 draw is what is needed. That's certainly realistic target now after last 6 months. Just got to string another competitive unbeaten run going although being in group A of nations league would make that much tougher given quality of teams in that section. Likes of Iceland can barely even get a draw.

4 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Even if we beat Israel, is that it for us being one of the best League B winners?

We'll likely be the 3rd best league B winner. Not a disaster, we'd probably have taken that once the group was drawn. We likely only need one of the other 2 winners to finish in the top 2 of their world cup qualifying group. I'd fancy those odds......but yeah, we need to beat Israel first! 

It’s very likely we’ll be 3rd best group winners in League B if we beat Israel (Austria just need to beat a thrown together Norway squad - will be worse than a B team).

So to qualify for the World Cup we’ll have to either win the qualifying group, finish 2nd to get a play off or hope that all of the League A Nations League winners finish top 2 AND Wales/Finland (whoever wins their Nations League group) or Austria also finish top 2 in the qualifying group. 

Watched the majority of the Czech Israel game. Czechs well on top first half and probably should have been out of sight.

But Israel much better second and created some good chances. Zahavi is a class act, he had a great effort two minutes from time which I thought was in but the keeper saved brilliantly. Solomon also a very good player who was dangerous all game.

Can see us struggling out there to be honest on back of two tough away games with likes of Christie and Tierney (our 2 best players today) probably needing to rested.

11 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

It’s very likely we’ll be 3rd best group winners in League B if we beat Israel (Austria just need to beat a thrown together Norway squad - will be worse than a B team).

So to qualify for the World Cup we’ll have to either win the qualifying group, finish 2nd to get a play off or hope that all of the League A Nations League winners finish top 2 AND Wales/Finland (whoever wins their Nations League group) or Austria also finish top 2 in the qualifying group. 

Should also note that Wales and Austria will be a pot 2 team in the World Cup qualifiers so they’ll be seeded to finish top 2. So I’d say it would be more likely than not that one of the two will finish in an auto qualifier position. 

The game against Israel is massive!

Christ, one defeat in 9, after making 8 changes from Thursday and the doom mongering has set in again.

One thing I took today was maybe our depth isn’t as good as we think it is. I’d imagine Wednesday will pretty much be the same team that played last Thursday except maybe Robbo to Tierney and Cooper possibly keeps his place.

35 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Other than that, we missed McTominay and Tierney at centre half carrying the ball out into the midfield and we missed Jack to control the midfield. 

As very well as Jack played the other night, it was McGregor who was the main man. We missed both today, though I’m a big fan of McLean too. McGinn more effective further forward.

Hmmm you just know Wednesday is going to be tricky. Be interesting who gets selected. I really hope we come through and win and make amends for today. Was so annoyed with the missed chances today but at least the application/effort was there.We’d all have more than bit the hand if offered winning the group at the start even if not not top 2 overall league B 

41 minutes ago, Marky said:

Hmmm.

Us losing

Czechs winning

Wales winning

Austria winning

Not a great day.

Looks like the best we can do now is win the group and get promotion. Hopefully improve our standing for future draws. 

Winning the group and being promoted to League A would be tremendous for us. Wednesday is another massive game.

48 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The thing about McBurnie is I could accept him not scoring many, if he was creative for others, or a ball winner, or pulled defenders out of position for others to take advantage of. I've seen no evidence of this whenever I've seen him play

Griffiths chance came from McBurnie winning the ball back and laying him in. Only for Griffiths to delay taking his shot and allowing the defender back in.

McBurnie was better tonight. Won alot in the air and linked up alot better than previously. He struggles as he doesnt have pace to turn defenders.

Ive no issue with people not rating McBurnie but what are the alternatives.

Griffiths is better but unfit to play more than 20 mins.

People were raving about Shankland. He was going to tear up the Scottish prem. People were saying judge him then. Well he has done zero this season.

Now the flavour of the month is Nisbet. 

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Griffiths chance came from McBurnie winning the ball back and laying him in. Only for Griffiths to delay taking his shot and allowing the defender back in.

McBurnie was better tonight. Won alot in the air and linked up alot better than previously. He struggles as he doesnt have pace to turn defenders.

Ive no issue with people not rating McBurnie but what are the alternatives.

Griffiths is better but unfit to play more than 20 mins.

People were raving about Shankland. He was going to tear up the Scottish prem. People were saying judge him then. Well he has done zero this season.

Now the flavour of the month is Nisbet. 

Shankland has struggled this season due to being in a pish United side that create fuck all. They’ve drawn four of their last five games 0-0. Absolutely no creativity. 

I would be shocked now if the starting 11 from serbia dont start on wednesday unless Robbo not fit. 

This game is now huge for us and yes Tierney, Christie and mcginn have played the majority of both games but then we have option to take off if they get tired. 

Israel game will be tight as they always are and we need our best possible 11 as realistically a win would put us 2 games away from a world cup. With a bit if luck 2 home games with a packed hampden.