EU Referendum - Page 68 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

49 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The further away we get from that referendum result, the more it is obvious that not one of May, Fox, Loathsome, Gove or beardy boy wants to trigger article 50.

The implications of doing so are starting to sink in with a vengeance........................

There is also the small matter of the beardy homophobe not being able to vote on English only matters as he is a Welsh MP

Appears Brexit is going to need parliamentary approval meaning a vote and the likelihood of the referendum being ignored

http://www.mishcon.com/news/firm_news/article_50_process_on_brexit_faces_legal_challenge_to_ensure_parliamentary_involvement_07_2016

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I read some of the comments after that 2nd article. They're no happy with Dani. Let's see if the Scotsman let her write any more articles.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Scotsman/SoS are 200% Unionist papers, but from time to time even they slip into printing truthful articles.

Don't worry, come the 2nd independence referendum they'll be back to repeating every Project Fear lie and press release.

Think we are looking at same situ Broon found himself in where he used a "get out of jail free" card by saying he would join the Euro only when certain conditions were met.  My guess is that non of the incumbents will want to pull the trigger (apart from Leadsom).  Watch out for them coming up with a "signifcant change" scenario in circumstances that will prevent or more likely delay anyone actually pulling the trigger to withdraw from the EU.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

The Scotsman/SoS are 200% Unionist papers, but from time to time even they slip into printing truthful articles.

Don't worry, come the 2nd independence referendum they'll be back to repeating every Project Fear lie and press release.

Assuming that they are still around then. 

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Appears Brexit is going to need parliamentary approval meaning a vote and the likelihood of the referendum being ignored

http://www.mishcon.com/news/firm_news/article_50_process_on_brexit_faces_legal_challenge_to_ensure_parliamentary_involvement_07_2016

That would simply be wrong. I absolutely disagree with the referendum result, but if MPs decide against what the people voted for, then thats a very dangerous position for the UKs democracy.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

That would simply be wrong. I absolutely disagree with the referendum result, but if MPs decide against what the people voted for, then thats a very dangerous position for the UKs democracy.

Not really

We dont have a referendum on whether we go to war for example - Politicians have made decisions without asking the public that have cost this country millions of lives.

We also dont have a referendum on the death penalty either - for good reason

We elect politicians to work for us and make the decisions

It should go through Parliament and once defeated have a General Election

Any party can stand on leaving the UK as their manifesto

On 6/22/2016 at 9:00 AM, thplinth said:

reeks for having the temerity to demand some relief. The situation is unsustainable but what does Merkel do she unilaterally decides to bring in 2 million Syrians into the Schengen zone. I am telling you that loony bitch is doing more to destroy the EU than anyone. The Greeks should have called their bluff and told them to go feck themselves. It would have been a hairy ride but it would be better than this modern day serfdom they are now under. The Greeks want out and amazingly the French support leaving. 

If you buy a share in a company that does not do well the value o

"I always thought Scotland was a part of England"

Looooooooon

My god. That cretin brings "think as shit" to an entirely new level.

It's scary to think that people this thick are able to vote and influence massively important excision making which affects the entire process of running of the country.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Farage gone. This sinking ship will soon be pretty much out of rats.

No great surprise realy.  I get the impression Nige doesn't keep too well.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not really

We dont have a referendum on whether we go to war for example - Politicians have made decisions without asking the public that have cost this country millions of lives.

We also dont have a referendum on the death penalty either - for good reason

We elect politicians to work for us and make the decisions

It should go through Parliament and once defeated have a General Election

Any party can stand on leaving the UK as their manifesto

Did the Tories not make holding the EU referendum a manifesto pledge?

I think Kev is spot on - any attempt to overrule the result and there could be hell to pay.  Imagine how many of us would feel if after a successful Yes vote MPs just voted down a bill confirming Scottish independence.

That's not to say I don't agree that it's a possibility though.

The difference is the Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013 explicitly made the result of the referendum binding, the European Union Referendum Act 2015 did not. It was advisory.

Therefore Parliament has to agree the result before invoking Article 50.

Now somebody made the destination between the two in drafting both Acts. I wonder why?

J

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

My god. That cretin brings "think as shit" to an entirely new level.

It's scary to think that people this thick are able to vote and influence massively important excision making which affects the entire process of running of the country.

He shouldnt be allowed to run a a bath..

Poor sod. Being manipulated by the media to be laughed at?

The real culprits are the 'clever' ones like Gove and Johnson, who know exactly what they are doing, to exploit people like him

5 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

The difference is the Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013 explicitly made the result of the referendum binding, the European Union Referendum Act 2015 did not. It was advisory.

Therefore Parliament has to agree the result before invoking Article 50.

Now somebody made the destination between the two in drafting both Acts. I wonder why?

J

It may be legal but it sure isn't moral.  I voted to remain and I'm sure pretty much everyone else who voted thought the result was going to be binding on the Government.  I can't remember anyone beforehand or at the time saying it was just advisory, seems a waste of a hell of a lot of money if it was just making a recommendation.   If it wasn't enacted due to some legal loophole it would expose our 'democracy' as an utter sham.

50 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

seems a waste of a hell of a lot of money if it was just making a recommendation.   If it wasn't enacted due to some legal loophole it would expose our 'democracy' as an utter sham.

On one hand yes - on the other no.

Davey Cameron continuing to be PM and the Tories retaining power was what this was all about so in that sense the manifesto bluff was worth it.

It is all one big charade

Surely everyone can now see that we are not going to leave the EU

And our Democracy has always been a sham

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

On one hand yes - on the other no.

Davey Cameron continuing to be PM and the Tories retaining power was what this was all about so in that sense the manifesto bluff was worth it.

It is all one big charade

Surely everyone can now see that we are not going to leave the EU

And our Democracy has always been a sham

I'm starting to consider that possibility or even likelihood. The UK is ##ked up beyond redemption, the false promises of bother sides are in tatters (we all know but then we are up with stuff, but if they renege on immigartion controls and free trade etc then I dread to imagine the carnage down south.