Scotland v Spain - Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Spain - Match Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodris after match interview has made this win slightly sweeter. Accusing other players of diving when they hit the ground at the slightest contact and feigned Injury for the entire game.

One of their defenders even tried it on when they were 2 down with 5 minutes to go.

All that talent and they are more interested in winning fouls. They got exactly what they deserved.

6 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

I think, in fairness to Rodri…. we did have a lot of players go down injured towards the end of the match, however I think most, if not all, of these were genuine injuries. However, if this had been another team doing that to us, we’d probably be accusing them of the same thing he accused us of!

Also, I believe Gunn was booked for time-wasting and Hickey intentionally rolled back on to the pitch when injured, to delay the game, which again we would have slated an opposition player for, so Rodri’s claims aren’t completely without merit. However, he’s also clutching at straws a bit, given how much more time Spain would have needed in order to create enough chances to score two goals, judging by how little they created during the match.

Fuck him.  These Southern European teams have been doing this since time began and we always get shafted. 
glad that we took every opportunity to do that.

Would never have said it at the time but my arse barely twitched in the last 15 minutes.

Spain moaning about shitehousing is frankly ridiculous.  The difference was we didn't get sucked in and instead gave it them back then they lost their shit over it - Hickey army rolling back on the pitch after a ball to the coupon was an absolute pisser 😃 

My god what a win. Spain salty as fuck and spouting absolute tripe post match only makes themselves look like poor losers as well as a fairly average team which we could all see they now are last night.

brilliant performance, so many players to  praise but for me special shout-out to the defensive players thought Tierney, Porto & Hickey were absolutely outstanding.

What a performance from the team. Didn't give Spain any time and got stuck in. Spain get too much respect from teams who sit off and let them dictate but not last night. Performances like that get the fans going and it was a joy both on and off the pitch. Cracking result and made all the better by the Spanish moaning.

The whinging from them is sweet.

Its reminding me a bit of Thierry Henry’s ‘we’ll see you in Paris’ jibe after we beat them. One of world football’s masters of dark arts moaning about time wasting and play acting is peak irony 

What a fucking night!!!!

First up Rodri's comments - sook it up boy. We learn from the masters. Spain have been using these tactics ad nauseum and would have done it last night too if they had been 2-0 up. How does the frustrations feel after dealing it out for decades? Sure we offered up gamesmanship to get the job done which all the top nations in the world have done for as long as I can remember.

If he thinks they did a lot of good things then Spain have problems. They had 75% of the ball yet had less shots on goal than us. Their massive problem (as seen in the World Cup) is a lack of end product to their game.

But last night was all about us. We played as a team and competed for every ball that we needed to and laid our bodies on the line - nobody hid. It seems grossly unfair to single out any of our players for praise as they all excelled but the defence was superb. Ryan Porteous is definitely another option for us in the centre of defence (three caps and three clan sheets - not bad). Hanley put in a great shift and Robertson and Tierney were colossal. Tierney's run down the wing and cross, the way he skinned Carvaljo was superb. Hickey also coped very well and has a big future for us. McTominay has shown us what he offers in a more advanced role and I doubt we'll see him in a back three again especially with the options we have there. McGinn was his usual industrious and calming influence and thought Dykes and Christie complimented each other very well. Sorry to any I missed out.

Two or three weeks ago the board was awash with apprehension of our squad being to full of players out of form and not playing for their clubs. Quality and class is permanent. Hopefully, Tierney and McTominay get moves to clubs that will appreciate their talents.

Two wins out of two and we are flying. Four points from our games in June and we are in pole position to qualify. Important we keep our mind on the job though and that we do not hand Norway a lifeline.

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Been saying for ages Scotland are too “honest” it cost us loads in the past. Glad we’ve realised rightly or wrongly it’s how the game is played these days

I wouldn't want us to instigate it but if the opposition start shitehousing then give it them both barrels- Spain losing their shit when Hickey rolled back on the pitch and McGinn checked it wasn't life threatening was top drawer!

What a widge!

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I wouldn't want us to instigate it but if the opposition start shitehousing then give it them both barrels- Spain losing their shit when Hickey rolled back on the pitch and McGinn checked it wasn't life threatening was top drawer!

What a widge!

What a graceless loser. Spain reminded me of some of the Eastern European teams we've played in the past, gamesmanship, feigning injury, trying to get players booked, really disappointed by their attitude. They deserved to lose.

I've watched that 2nd goal over and over on youtube, the run from Tierney is beautiful, the way he lets the full back catch him and then times it perfectly to get away from him to make the cross is fucking brilliant. The finish from Mctom is sublime too.

I love the crowd reaction, there is a lull in the crowd when the Spanish full back catches Tierney, then a buzz when Tierney leaves him for dead, another lull when the cross hits the knee of the spanish defender.......................then absolute euphoria when McTom smashes it home.

I am off to watch it again

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've watched that 2nd goal over and over on youtube, the run from Tierney is beautiful, the way he lets the full back catch him and then times it perfectly to get away from him to make the cross is fucking brilliant. The finish from Mctom is sublime too.

I love the crowd reaction, there is a lull in the crowd when the Spanish full back catches Tierney, then a buzz when Tierney leaves him for dead, another lull when the cross hits the knee of the spanish defender.......................then absolute euphoria when McTom smashes it home.

I am off to watch it again

Must've watched it about a dozen times too 😀

If you look there's a guy in white in the West Stand who gets out his seat when Tierney breaks clear, then charges down onto the gate when McTominay fires it in. I take my bunnet off to you sir! 😄

Edited by Toepoke

So proud of the lads last night. My feel good factor  was only dimmed by my wrong belief that Mc T had been booked against Cyprus and that together with his booking last night would mean he missed the Norway match.

To then be told he hadn't booked against Cyprus makes last night the perfect outcome.

1 minute ago, marinello said:

So proud of the lads last night. My feel good factor  was only dimmed by my wrong belief that Mc T had been booked against Cyprus and that together with his booking last night would mean he missed the Norway match.

To then be told he hadn't booked against Cyprus makes last night the perfect outcome.

Think it's three booking now before suspension too which is a boost too!

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Think it's three booking now before suspension too which is a boost too!

Aye, it is three now.  We've now got 6 players on one yellow each from 2 games. One of the bonuses of having a five team group means it should be harder to get to 3 yellows.