Coronavirus - Page 93 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This is one bit I find strange. When Italy were at the same stage of the epidemic their biggest problem seemed to be lack of ICU facilities. Even though they started out with more than the UK. We heard a lot of accounts of medical staff having to decide who got ICU treatment and who didn't. The UK doesn't seem to be short of ICU beds (yet) but we are almost up to the same amount of deaths per day that Italy had at their peak. I'm just wondering if those life or death decisions are being made before people even get to hospital or are they just not getting into ICU quick enough? 

My daughters friend is a nurse and he was saying that A&E is extremely quiet and it is mainly down to people afraid to go to hospital with an injury in case they catch Covid.
The positive side of this is that it is deterring time wasters,  but unfortunately more people are dying at home as they do infact have symptoms that require hospitalisation.
I imagine some of these will be elderly people who may have had a fall or other health issues, but is it perhaps possible some will also be infected by Covid and although it hasnt been the cause if death they will be recorded as being infected with it ?

37 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Imagine the meltdown among Unionists if these companies were Scottish with a Scotland-only attitude. It would be headline news for days and Glenn Campbell doorsteeping individuals demanding answers. But this will go unchallenged, as always.

I'm only just seen this. Not yeat clear exactly what is going on. It the story accurate, who are the companies, is it a commercial decision or have they been leant on from NHS England/Dept of Health? If it is a commerical decision it could get explained away by the right wing free market voives platformed i the media. If it was anything to do with UK Govt policy then it woul dsurely be unsustainable; ot could definitely be subject to serious challenge, with backtracking, fudging, or a later conversion to "4 nations pooling and sharing". The question would be whether damage done before that happens. 

We're so used to government propaganda, diversionary tactics, fudging, blitz spirit, double standards, and shielding by the media, you wonder how long they can get away with it, you wonder if sooner or later they will really get tripped up, people's eyes will be opened, and they will actually be held to account. Not holding my breath though.

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

My daughters friend is a nurse and he was saying that A&E is extremely quiet and it is mainly down to people afraid to go to hospital with an injury in case they catch Covid.
The positive side of this is that it is deterring time wasters,  but unfortunately more people are dying at home as they do infact have symptoms that require hospitalisation.
I imagine some of these will be elderly people who may have had a fall or other health issues, but is it perhaps possible some will also be infected by Covid and although it hasnt been the cause if death they will be recorded as being infected with it ?

I was wondeirng if A&E numbers down could be due to people not being out and about: fewer road accidents, sports injuries, industrial accidents, muggings, drunken brawls, etc.

So BJ spent day's in an ICU with coronavirus symptoms, near deaths door, now he has no symptoms at all. I'm no expert, maybe someone can  answer this? Do the positive symptoms go away that quick?

Boris Johnson is focusing on his recovery at his country retreat after testing negative for coronavirus, Downing Street has said.

19 minutes ago, exile said:

I was wondeirng if A&E numbers down could be due to people not being out and about: fewer road accidents, sports injuries, industrial accidents, muggings, drunken brawls, etc.

There has been a resulting fall in those admissions - which to be fair was part of the reasons for lockdown, so as not to put the NHS and other emergency services under unnecessary stress.

21 minutes ago, exile said:

I would think all of those will be contributing to the reduction in admissions. But it would also seem a fear of contracting the virus is a factor.
A lot of people, particularly the elderly, hate hospitals at the best of times , never mind in a pandemic. 

I've no particular issue with Boris Johnson getting "special treatment" from the NHS as he - whatever you might think of him - is pretty important right now.

This on the other hand is totally indefensible.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/13/michael-gove-secures-coronavirus-test-daughter-24-hours-showed-mild-symptoms-12548268/?ito=social

Can you imagine what the outcry would be if John Swinney jumped the queue to get one of his kids tested.

Be amazed if this comes up at today's UKG press conference.

50 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

So BJ spent day's in an ICU with coronavirus symptoms, near deaths door, now he has no symptoms at all. I'm no expert, maybe someone can  answer this? Do the positive symptoms go away that quick?

Boris Johnson is focusing on his recovery at his country retreat after testing negative for coronavirus, Downing Street has said.

I never heard him cough once. 

I think Teresa May started this all off with her coughing fit at that party conference. She would never get out of ICU.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

This is phenomenal.😂

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Obviously ok for him go his second home too.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I might just be misreading this site so maybe you can help explain one thing I noticed? That website has predicted that on 12th April the UK would need about 13,000 ICU beds yet in reality the UK only had about 1500 people in ICU. The UK ICU capacity is currently about 6000 beds. I know they are just predictions but that one seems to be miles out.

Thanks for flagging this.  Model is obviously not accurate, at least in the UK.

36 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

every man and his dog with a working knowledge of excel and applying 'exponential growth ; has been generating speculative models over the past few months

Well yeah, but that model was produced by the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at Washington University, and is being widely used by both State and Federal governments in the US.

So it isn’t just some boy in his basement with a copy of Dummies Guide to Excel.

1 minute ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Well yeah, but that model was produced by the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at Washington University, and is being widely used by both State and Federal governments in the US.

So it isn’t just some boy in his basement with a copy of Dummies Guide to Excel.

And the Imperial College one was widely being used by UK govt ....

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The positive side of this is that it is deterring time wasters,

4 hours ago, exile said:

Just put both of your points to the missus (A&E nurse manager). They've been talking about it in work obviously, and their conclusion is you're both right. Lots of factors combining to bring down admission numbers.

Edited by Dave78

Dundee town Centre very quiet tonight on way home. Got gifted a free leftover Easter egg from the wee Tesco as I’m a key worker, which was nice. A couple of student nurses very pleased too. Not so quiet was the methadone queue outside Boots with the poor manager/pharmacist all masked up and trying to get junkies to observe strict 2 metre distancing. Like trying to herd sheep withoot the dug!

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

@Alan

Any comment on your overlords being happy to sacrifice Scottish people to save English people?

If you are on Twatter, up load this onto Carcrash's feed. That whisky nosed cunt has been vocal about why the SG hasn't been forthcoming about declaring the number of deaths in care homes. He'll soon be hiding in BoJos fridge....

3 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Have you looked at office for national statistics website

last week i looked at comparisons for week of 20 march ; this year - deaths in england & wales - 10,645

the 5 yr average ( for 5 prior years ) - 10,575

am still struggling to find figures that separate the covid19 / non covid 19

this site has that data but is still from end of march ; not showing the recent spike

27 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What is the deal if you have a mortgage on a flat / house you are renting out and the tenant cannot pay rent? But the bank expects to be paid...

I’d imagine you’d still be liable. I’ve taken a mortgage holiday on my rental property for this reason.