Coronavirus - Page 90 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That would also happen if you touched your face while wearing the gloves. You also have to touch the gloves to take them off so you still need to wash your hands anyway.

If it makes you feel better then fair enough but you were talking as if people were doing something wrong by not wearing gloves which really isn’t the case. 

Fair enough mate. I always wash, I dont wear gloves normally, but being in the hospital gave me squeaky bum, so I was just being overly cautious. 🙂

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Like everything i dont know if a lot of this is true or whether it's anti Chinese propaganda

Some of his content is good, some of it is utter shite. He makes very good money from criticising China, his channel used to plod along until he became negative, then it took off. Theres 1.4 billion Chinese, of course some are going to be racist morons, but he has been peddling this, although not as strongly, stuff for years.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Him and another fanny called laowhy86 are well known for pursuing an 'everything china is bad line'. Not worth listening to.

Laowhy is the kinda person that you'd like to see get a good doing, such a whiney annoying little fucker with no discernible personality, very much the Richard Hammond of the couple, just lapping up what the big boy says.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

True, I'd still be cautious as they asked 6k+ doctors and 2,171 responded to the question about most effective treatment , no effective treatment came in 3rd in the poll too. At least there does seem to be some effective treatment though. Be good if they can come up with something novel.

The vaccine will be the game changer.

America getting hammered by the press and public. I’d be interested to see what the deaths are per capita in each country to see who is actually the worst affected. Italy I’d guess? USA will have “games in hand” however.

4 minutes ago, macy37 said:

America getting hammered by the press and public. I’d be interested to see what the deaths are per capita in each country to see who is actually the worst affected. Italy I’d guess? USA will have “games in hand” however.

New York alone has had more confirmed cases than any other country has in total, and more deaths per 1m population than anywhere apart from San Marino. That's the state generally but I'd imagine those figures are predominantly concentrated in NYC. And more so, likely to be concentrated in the poorer parts of the city. I've not seen a stat yet, but it would be fascinating to know what proportion of deaths across the States had health insurance that covered their treatment.

Trump continues to proclaim 'great success' in fighting it, but it's really hard to look at the numbers & conclude anything other than they have handled it worse than any other major country. Potentially worse than any other country full stop. Underpinned of course by their multi-tiered health system.

The only thing you'd hope is that enough of the voting public are savvy enough to see that come the election (assuming that he doesn't use this as an opportunity to cancel it, which would be my prediction), but I aren't holding my breath.

Went and checked the bcgatlas and Portugal and Spain have different vaccination programmes. They also have a marked differences in Covid.

It's used a bit in bladder cancer, would be interesting to see if it has any impact especially since bladder cancer is predominantly a disease of age.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

As you say the USA still have games in hand. 

But, at about 60 deaths per million population, they are currently still behind Scotland (100) and way behind the UK (150). 2nd top of that measure are Spain on 350. San Marino are a wee bit of an anomaly at 1000 per million.

The UK has 1,164 cases per million of population, the US has 1,611 however they have tested 8,138 cases per million of population versus the UK's 4,934 tests per million.

The death rate per million in the US is 62 but in the UK it is 145. The UK is currently the ninth highest rate of death per million of population. The US is 15th.

3 of those countries with worse rates of death than the UK are tiny statelets with very small numbers. If you only include larger countries the UK has the 6th highest death rate.

I am thinking this is pretty bad considering how much of a head start the other countries got on us. Italy has a death rate of 322 so the UK must be quickly narrowing that gap. Boris and team should be getting massacred about now. He has been quite lucky here, assuming he does not die.

Edited by thplinth

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

New York alone has had more confirmed cases than any other country has in total, and more deaths per 1m population than anywhere apart from San Marino. That's the state generally but I'd imagine those figures are predominantly concentrated in NYC. And more so, likely to be concentrated in the poorer parts of the city. I've not seen a stat yet, but it would be fascinating to know what proportion of deaths across the States had health insurance that covered their treatment.

Trump continues to proclaim 'great success' in fighting it, but it's really hard to look at the numbers & conclude anything other than they have handled it worse than any other major country. Potentially worse than any other country full stop. Underpinned of course by their multi-tiered health system.

The only thing you'd hope is that enough of the voting public are savvy enough to see that come the election (assuming that he doesn't use this as an opportunity to cancel it, which would be my prediction), but I aren't holding my breath.

Sure I read recently that NYC population density is twice as high as that of London. The virus will sweep thru there like wildfire. 

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

As you say the USA still have games in hand. 

But, at about 60 deaths per million population, they are currently still behind Scotland (100) and way behind the UK (150). 2nd top of that measure are Spain on 350. San Marino are a wee bit of an anomaly at 1000 per million.

The USA is so vast it's probably best to analyse it on a state by state basis.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The USA is so vast it's probably best to analyse it on a state by state basis.

That's why it's counted as deaths per million population. China has had 2 (two) deaths per million population. You can count it by states as well if you want.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, teecee- said:

Will be hard to action this, if you live with your parents your not going out but your pals are. I cannot see too many 20 somethings sitting at home with Mummy and Daddy. Can see a rush on fake ID cards for 30 somethings whilst us older drinkers remain grounded.

It will. The reasoning sounds logical but it will be hard to implement and control. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Released from hospital less than 72 hours after leaving ICU . 

Exactly. I have no doubt it was all PR. There have already been reports of people have it take 8 weeks for them to return to comparative normality after fighting corona. All much fitter than Boris and say they suffered a two stone weight loss. But here Boris is out of IC and a few days later released from hospital. Sorry but I smell BS even if they gullible don't.

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Would take an awful lot of people keeping quiet for Boris's fake Covid-19 conspiracy to work ....

I get the impression that he - and his government - probably aren't that popular amongst the very people who would be in closest contact with him - NHS staff.   Even if access was more restricted than your average patient - which you would expect for security purposes - if there was any sniff that there was something not right, I'm sure it would be round the hospital and would be in the public domain.

43 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Released from hospital less than 72 hours after leaving ICU . 

He was never on a ventilator, though. He was never on the "Critical" list. At worst he would have been classed as "Severe" and probably at the lower end of that category. He would have been on oxygen but that's about it. He would have been in hospital as precaution more than anything else.