Coronavirus - Page 92 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Being released from hospital a week after being admitted has now confirmed that. I was willing to consider he may in fact be seriously ill having being admitted to ICU. 

What a luxury, if only all  patients could  pop into ICU for a few days as a precaution. 

I'm all for healthcare equality but I doubt there's a country in the world where the government leader wouldn't receive special treatment if they required to be in hospital. 

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I'm all for healthcare equality but I doubt there's a country in the world where the government leader wouldn't receive special treatment if they required to be in hospital. 

Special treatment can be provided without being in ICU.  It makes a mockery of what a critical illness unit is for . 

But I can see I am on my own on this one so I am away to gorge on Easter Eggs and open a bottle of wine in celebration of Boris’s Lazarus recovery 🙂

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Special treatment can be provided without being in ICU.  It makes a mockery of what a critical illness unit is for . 

But I can see I am on my own on this one so I am away to gorge on Easter Eggs and open a bottle of wine in celebration of Boris’s Lazarus recovery 🙂

I don't understand why you think him being in an ICU bed is such a big deal. 

Clearly his strain/load/reaction of the coronavirus is less than the most severe cases 

Anyone else would probably not have been admitted to an ICU for observation and would have received oxygen outwith - but as he is the PM he was

That's it IMO

One thing that has became very apparent with this crisis is that the media will not go near the current government in regards to criticism, the government IMO although have done ok however have made some mistakes which the media will not pick them up on, they are untouchable 

16 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

This model has been predicting it for quite a while now...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

I might just be misreading this site so maybe you can help explain one thing I noticed? That website has predicted that on 12th April the UK would need about 13,000 ICU beds yet in reality the UK only had about 1500 people in ICU. The UK ICU capacity is currently about 6000 beds. I know they are just predictions but that one seems to be miles out.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

One thing that has became very apparent with this crisis is that the media will not go near the current government in regards to criticism, the government IMO although have done ok however have made some mistakes which the media will not pick them up on, they are untouchable 

The Government have done OK on this? Seriously?

Imagine this was a Corbyn-led administration and Diane Abbott as Health Secretary and they had handled this crisis in such a crack-handed manner. The right wing press would be howling at the moon demanding blood, and Laura Kuennsberg and the BBC would be in their element in attacking them.

But not a cheep. The double standards has been nauseating 

35 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I might just be misreading this site so maybe you can help explain one thing I noticed? That website has predicted that on 12th April the UK would need about 13,000 ICU beds yet in reality the UK only had about 1500 people in ICU. The UK ICU capacity is currently about 6000 beds. I know they are just predictions but that one seems to be miles out.

That's an American modelling organisation and their numbers look crap.

On the 9th April ICNARC reported 2194 still receiving critical care in rUK, Scotland had 208 in ICU.last night.

What's stark is that most are not dying in ICU. I haven't found a breakdown of this, i suspect we won't until much later. I dont know if this reflects severity, scarcity or palliation.

Clearly modelling for this is sketchy at best. Australia made a big song and dance about releasing modelling last week and it didn't use Australian data.

I note the UK are only recording deaths in hospital so I would imagine the numbers are much higher. 

There was a very good Twitter thread on how Ireland has managed their outbreak compared to.the UK. I'll see if I can.find it.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Okay? Away tae fuck, they’ve been shambolic with the leader disappearing and no replacement leading in the absence of him trying badly to do so. Rudderless ship that reacted slowly and very badly to the situation despite having time on their side. That bad the Queen was wheeled out to try and make on as if “Great Britain” was indeed still great.

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't understand why you think him being in an ICU bed is such a big deal. 

I think I am a bit sensitive to this because, as I mentioned earlier,  I spent a month visiting my mum in ICU and saw how gravely ill the patients in there are. The staff are truly exceptional ( I am not just saying that , I have never witnessed care and love like I did from the staff in there   ) but it is a place I hope no one on here ever has to experience. 

I do not think the PM was even close to that level of illness and I would bet my house that there are others who are still in that hospital whose illness is more deserving of the elevated treatment. It is nothing to do with healthcare equality its to do with finding the correct level of treatment for the severity of the illness.

I imagine if I had not been visiting my mum daily during her 2 month hospital stay I would be none the wiser on the various levels of treatment and think nothing of his remarkable recovery . 

I am just repeating myself here. He is out , we will move on.  

They waited till April to ask private companies if they were able to provide in the manufacture of ventilators. Can you imagine if this country suffered a biological/chemical attack? Remember the terriorist fear stories a few years back, dirtybomb being the buzzword. They didn't have a emergency measures in place? 🤔

So it's either gross incompetence or there is a sinister motive behind this absurd response. 

Edited by Och Aye

1 hour ago, beardy said:

There was a very good Twitter thread on how Ireland has managed their outbreak compared to.the UK. I'll see if I can.find it.

Click the tweet for the full thread....

Edited by Dave78

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I wish i could say i am surprised

Imagine the meltdown among Unionists if these companies were Scottish with a Scotland-only attitude. It would be headline news for days and Glenn Campbell doorsteeping individuals demanding answers. But this will go unchallenged, as always.

1 hour ago, beardy said:

That's an American modelling organisation and their numbers look crap.

On the 9th April ICNARC reported 2194 still receiving critical care in rUK, Scotland had 208 in ICU.last night.

What's stark is that most are not dying in ICU. I haven't found a breakdown of this, i suspect we won't until much later. I dont know if this reflects severity, scarcity or palliation.

Clearly modelling for this is sketchy at best. Australia made a big song and dance about releasing modelling last week and it didn't use Australian data.

I note the UK are only recording deaths in hospital so I would imagine the numbers are much higher. 

This is one bit I find strange. When Italy were at the same stage of the epidemic their biggest problem seemed to be lack of ICU facilities. Even though they started out with more than the UK. We heard a lot of accounts of medical staff having to decide who got ICU treatment and who didn't. The UK doesn't seem to be short of ICU beds (yet) but we are almost up to the same amount of deaths per day that Italy had at their peak. I'm just wondering if those life or death decisions are being made before people even get to hospital or are they just not getting into ICU quick enough? 

5 hours ago, macy37 said:

When’s Boris and his pals updating the lockdown craic? Should it not be today? I would have thought they’d have said a further fortnight at least and announced that over the weekend.

I think the review is due by this Thursday 16th April at latest.

54 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Click the tweet for the full thread....

Hmmm.....

The numbers for Scotland are worse than Ireland but still a good bit better than England (London in particular). But, I'm not sure that folk in Scotland or even Ireland can afford to be too smug just yet. 

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This is one bit I find strange. When Italy were at the same stage of the epidemic their biggest problem seemed to be lack of ICU facilities. Even though they started out with more than the UK. We heard a lot of accounts of medical staff having to decide who got ICU treatment and who didn't. The UK doesn't seem to be short of ICU beds (yet) but we are almost up to the same amount of deaths per day that Italy had at their peak. I'm just wondering if those life or death decisions are being made before people even get to hospital or are they just not getting into ICU quick enough? 

I think there are a few factors. Hong Kong were intubating patients when their O2 Sats were 92% and only on 6l. That is a very low threshold,  one that almost no ICU would choose to do. However their mortality rate is incredibly low. 

Italy seemed to intubate everyone at the start and possibly ran put of equipment. I suspect the UK is trying not too overload their units. There have been ethics committees convened to draft guidelines for who gets treatment.

The mean age of confirmed cases admitted to ICU was 59.8, that is remarkably young.