Scotland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England - Match Thread

romanticscot

1 minute ago, 86glebestreet said:

Pindit 🤣

And now tip of our group 😆 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Holy fuck, I thought I was irrational right now because I've drank a few malts but this is mental stuff

McGregor has been one of our best performers for the last 2 years

We've won 11 qualifiers in a row, promoted to league A in the nations league. 3 points away from qualifying for our first euros via normal qualification for 27 years, tip of our group, won every game in this group, deservedly beat the top seed in our group and you are questioning Clarke.

Go to bed min

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not annoyed that we lost tonight. Any sensible Scotland would have known that there was a strong possibility we might.

I’m just annoyed by the level of the performance and that some seriously experienced players appeared to shite it. 
The likes of McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and McGregor all put in real “nothing” performances and I couldn’t believe how terrible Tierney was. He looked like he was barely interested. The skipper was woeful too.
Only hope that we’ve learned a lesson from that tonight as there’s precious little else to take from it. 

6 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Clyde1998 said he hoped we would learn from tonight. I hope he is right but have my doubts as Clarke is too set in his ways, no plan B, blind loyalty to old favorites, in particular McGregor. If Clarke wants to improve the team he should start with the basics of tight marking and tracking runners. We have quick defenders, and midfielders with good engines, so all the ingredients for a high press. But today England had extra men open all over the place. Even against Cyprus we alowed them far too much possession. McGregor is by far the worst offender, constantly ball watching, never tracking. He needs to be dropped. Adams is never a target man, and pointless being played alone up front. We have the best crop of players in years and the makings of a great side, but Clarke's selections, tactics questionable.  

Lay off the meth

3 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Clyde1998 said he hoped we would learn from tonight. I hope he is right but have my doubts as Clarke is too set in his ways, no plan B, blind loyalty to old favorites, in particular McGregor. If Clarke wants to improve the team he should start with the basics of tight marking and tracking runners. We have quick defenders, and midfielders with good engines, so all the ingredients for a high press. But today England had extra men open all over the place. Even against Cyprus we alowed them far too much possession. McGregor is by far the worst offender, constantly ball watching, never tracking. He needs to be dropped. Adams is never a target man, and pointless being played alone up front. We have the best crop of players in years and the makings of a great side, but Clarke's selections, tactics questionable.  

I’m somewhat seduced by this in a kind of Anakin/Palpatine scenario. I think McGregor was indeed pish. England were too good but maybe tactically we weren’t set up to get near them. Ben Doak will give us a new dimension. Doig needs to be in the A squad to push Robertson.

Long and short of it was our best players didn't turn up and England were on their game. Against top sides you need to perform to a high level and we didn't. We allowed England to impose themselves on the game and we paid the price.

Disappointing. Thought Hickey had a good game and Christie levened things up when he came on. Apart from that not up to standard.

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m somewhat seduced by this in a kind of Anakin/Palpatine scenario. I think McGregor was indeed pish. England were too good but maybe tactically we weren’t set up to get near them. Ben Doak will give us a new dimension. Doig needs to be in the A squad to push Robertson.

That wee Doak video against Spain is a spirit lifter this evening. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We got carried away with the win vs Spain and tonight is a reality check 

I'll listen to the podcast tomorrow when I'm sober.

If he genuinely said that, well he needs to step away from punditry. 

We beat Spain and we deserved to win. Anyone taking anything from that win is an idiot. 

58 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Which is why hearing souness suck up to these cunts makes people so angry. His post match stuff was some of the most cringeworthy shit I've ever heard tonight.

This would be what we'd have to get used to if our games ended up on council tv, personally I'd gladly pay a subscription to avoid all that pish.  Fuckin love the partisan commentary and analysis from Viaplay, money well spent in my opinion

Edited by todd

The truth is England and especially Bellingham are top tier and if we use that as motivation to improve it will do us the world of good. I think it was a friendly and result that came at the right time for us, before the final three games in the group, euros, and Nations League A games. 

we should take a lot from that tonight. 

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We got carried away with the win vs Spain and tonight is a reality check 

I do agree tonight was a bit of a reality check, so possibly not a bad thing in that respect. We got a taste of the level we'll need to raise our game to if we're going to do anything in Germany next year.

2 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

The truth is England and especially Bellingham are top tier and if we use that as motivation to improve it will do us the world of good. I think it was a friendly and result that came at the right time for us, before the final three games in the group, euros, and Nations League A games. 

we should take a lot from that tonight. 

Of course.

Some wanted us to shy away from tough opponents but you learn nothing from beating easy opponents.

We will probable beat at the Euros next summer and League 1 of Nations League and teams like Emgland arr teams we will need to compete and get results against..clarke will ho thrpugh our errors and work on eliminating them from.our game hopefully. This will in turn make us more competitive against the very best teams.

3 minutes ago, Redz said:

What a boot licking kent McCoist is, too

Makes you want to spew

I started to warm to him again after the Israel and Spain matches but then I listened to him on talksport..... ........ someone pass me the 🪣 🤮 

Edited by vanderark14

seems there was probably some psychology involved, from what I heard, England maybe didn't do so well at weekend and sort of had a point to prove, whereas our main job was done last Friday , though you'd think the players would be up for it.

whereas against spain maybe we caught them off guard, and norway thought they'd won it but we kept going to the death

Biggest takeaway from tonight was that against better teams we simply cant allow the tempo to drop. Our game is based on high tempo, that spell in the 2nd half is when we are at our best. Its been the same for years, the difference being that lately we have had the players to really capatilise on it.

We had that against Spain and we looked great and they were rattled. From the kick off tonight we didnt have it and it just allowed England to play the game how they wanted.

Other take away was that as much as we are much more of a close group nowadays, we still lack somebody in the team to fire us up, whether it be with a rollocking or firing into a tackle.

Watched the U21 match last night. Different levels but was really surprised to see how well he did up front as a lone striker. Longer term if he fulfils his potential then maybe he could fill that problem position for us. Its not uncommon for world class wingers to play central on International duty.

No need to panic.  England are a top side and mostly played us off the park tonight.  We have enough in our locker to qualify and maybe escape from our section at the euros.  We will typically always struggle against a side of Englands calibre. 

As I said previously England have every chance of being crowned euro champions 

Didn’t see the game but unfortunately but sounds like we were beat within ourselves better a ball was kicked or maybe we’ve just had an off night.

Maybe a bit of a reality check for some of us getting carried away, unfortunately we’re a level or 2 below England but shouldn’t stop us putting in a better showing by the sounds of it.