Russia 2018 - Page 35 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Denied a called penalty by VAR, and Panama had a goal chalked off, too.

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think they got the penalty call right, looked a stonewaller as well

I felt it was.

Tackle coming in from behind that brings the player down in the box.

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It clearly wasn't a penalty. Another excellent example of how a good Var operative can help the on field ref get the right decisions. 

This system works fine when decent staff work it properly. 

I agree with Pat Nevin.

Shin then ball.

It's why the player goes down.

32 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Couldn't be less condescending if I tried ma man.

You inferred that I hadn't a Scooby.

Definitely not like you.

Edited by Scotty CTA

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

They're a better team, with better players. It's only logical to expect Colombia to win that game. 

The only folk who wont agree with the above are ignoramuses who only watch English football (90% of the English media). 

100% agree. Its staggering that even seasoned  ex pros, constantly dismiss countries like Columbia. Any country that does not have a scattering of players playing in the EPL are immediately discounted. There is no prospect they have any clue about Columbia. 

44 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

All i meant was he doesn't make excuses for England as you might expect - just says things like Belgium's second eleven is much better than England's.

For some reason I thought you meant Glenn Hoddle as opposed top Chris Waddle - haven't heard Waddle yet.

HEAT WARNING

Sat, 30 Jun Mainly sunny. Wind southwest 30 km/h. High 35 except 30 near Lake Ontario. Humidex 45. :yikes3:
Night Cloudy periods. Low 22.

Southgate messed up - should have played his strongest team. Doubt anyone would have given him a hard time if they got beat - Belgium are technically a better side. And any grief he would have got is surely better than what has transpired. The only thing he learned last night is that he has little depth in his sqaud, but more importantly, he learned absolutely nothing about his strongest XI - how do they react under pressue, how do they play against a top tier team, who hides when the pressure is on, etc. Given his strongest XI havent been tested in any way during this tournament, he's now got to hope he gets it right for a knock-out match with little real match data to go on.

Not only that, he should have nailed this easier-side-of-the-draw chat early on. Massively disrespectful to the so-called weaker teams and actually places more pressure on his team going in to those games which they are effectively saying they expect to win. Instead he's let it grow into an actual thing. He should have gone into every game looking to win and not care who they met - go all-in against Belgium and whoever else in the last 16 and at least he comes home having given it a go, enjoyed a good bit of momentum but point out there was no disgrace going out to a Brazil for example. Wouldn't be surprised if they go out with a whimper and the legacy of WC2018 will be them pumping a glorified amateur team - no surprise the high jinx of last week was short lived and it was bizarre to see them revel in what was a pretty appalling display by Panama.

Still, I thought there was some positives for England. For first time for as long as I can remember, they do actually have some technically brilliant players who have a good first touch and can pass the ball. There biggest problem is a total lack of creativity - they're in danger of breeding a generation of over-coached, professional robots who struggle to display the flair and creativity that's needed to be a top tier team. Throw in a Paul Scholes or two and they'd be a much more potent attack.

They beat Colombia though and Southgate deserves a massive amount of credit - could well make it far if they do. Here's hoping they get pumped because if we thought the post-Panama commentary was horrific, it'll be nothing compared to what's coming!

Edited by Auld_Reekie

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Some sympathy for Southgate that either way he’ll be criticised, especially if Columbia beat them. But if he played a stronger side against Belgium and someone like Kane got injured or suspended the media would have critised him. 

Yep. Let's be honest, he'll get a roasting either way. There was a lynch mob forming on the radio this morning at that "disgrace" last night. I disagree with Southgate's approach but I can see why he did it - Kane is his biggest asset and he wants his fit and rested for their "biggest game in a decade". I think he had more to gain/learn by playing his strongest XI but I think it's typically English to turn on the manager (or some other scapegoat) as soon as things start going wrong.

I think he's done a fantastic job for England and to start hounding him because Belgium beat them 1-0 is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

He is still 32 ! 

He's still one of the best centre forwards in world football. Christ, only last season he scored plenty and helped Monaco overcome all the odds to win ligue 1 and get to the semi finals of the champions league. Even this season I think he scored 20 odd goals and is a much better finisher than Kane.

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I find Pickford comical. Not withstanding the mistakes that he has in him as you point out - in keeping in the emerging tradition of English keepers over the past 10 years or so - his over-reaction and dramatics to every shot, no matter how far wide, is truly entertaining. A career as an acrobat or stunt man awaits.....

Aye, I was laughing at that as well. When Belgium scored, I think the goalie's feet were higher in the air than his hands. Wonder if he can do the Scorpion?

8 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Nope. I heard 6 myself, but apparently no mention of Boyata being at Celtic.

AHH that's shite man :(

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Colombia will beat England.

On another note, imagine Boyata won a world cup haha.

He's nowhere near as bad as folk make out but would still be funny.

Hopefully,

He's actually played quite well with what he's had to do so far. Could be the whole playing in the scottish league makes him think he can be casual and swan about which ends up in him making howlers, whereas he has to focus properly with Belgium. He's never going to be amazing but probably not as bad as it seems with Celtic

2 hours ago, Nobby said:

Well we've  made the knockout stages and that was the minimum expected with a young and inexperienced squad so anything else is a bonus. Columbia will be a tough game but I believe we have a reasonable chance of progressing. If Kane is on form and takes his chances 

Kane has scored one actual goal so far

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

All my bets are resting on Brazil. I had a few group acca's on but i had Russia not to qualify on every one of them unfortunately.  Yourself? 

Colombia are 14/5 to win in 90 minutes, or 6/4 to qualify. 

bet £20 on Spain to win World Cup at 6/1 at the start however that is looking decidedly dodgey also placed £20 for Belgium today at 7/1 to win World Cup and put £40 on Colombia at 2/1 with corals this afternoon for Tuesdays game 

3 hours ago, Mox said:

He's still one of the best centre forwards in world football. Christ, only last season he scored plenty and helped Monaco overcome all the odds to win ligue 1 and get to the semi finals of the champions league. Even this season I think he scored 20 odd goals and is a much better finisher than Kane.

Aye he showed that during his spells at Man Utd and Chelsea ...........

And despite flashes he is nowhere near the same player that he was prior to his injury

Scoring goals in Ligue 1 doesnt equate to scoring goals in the EPL

Kane (who is only 24) 37 appearances last year

Goals 30

Falcao 26 appearances in Ligue 1

Goals 18

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye he showed that during his spells at Man Utd and Chelsea ...........

And despite flashes he is nowhere near the same player that he was prior to his injury

Scoring goals in Ligue 1 doesnt equate to scoring goals in the EPL

Kane (who is only 24) 37 appearances last year

Goals 30

Falcao 26 appearances in Ligue 1

Goals 18

What have his performances years ago, when he was just coming back from injury, got to do with anything? 

Do you actually watch French football, or have you seen him play for Colombia recently? He's just had one of the best seasons of his career ffs 😂

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Ok ok, let’s calm the fuck doon. 

Theres no need to fly to the other side of the world over an internet disagreement.......:yikes3:

Especially take care not to fly off the edge of what isn't a globe.