Scottish teams in Europe - Page 47 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Do the CL losers drop into the Europa now?

Yes into the playoff round. In the Champions League playoff round the losers drop into the Europa League Group Stages.

So Celtic are guaranteed to be in either the Champions League or Europa League group stages now.

Bizarre team selection from Brendan tonight but it came good in the end. It must be apparent to him now that this no striker nonsense has to be resolved i.e we need another yin!

Lustig, Armstrong and Hayes utter pish again and another centre half injured. There's work to be done although why Ajer wasn't on the bench I've no idea. A strange night but we're through and deservedly so! ?

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

Bizarre team selection from Brendan tonight but it came good in the end. It must be apparent to him now that this no striker nonsense has to be resolved i.e we need another yin!

Lustig, Armstrong and Hayes utter pish again and another centre half injured. There's work to be done although why Ajer wasn't on the bench I've no idea. A strange night but we're through and deservedly so! ?

Would think that will be Griffiths back if he has had game time tonight. He will do until Dembele fit again....if he is still there end of August.

Played well tonight and more importantly defended very well for 20 minutes in the second half when Rosenborg had a go. I fancy us to make the group stages, although we are at least two players short of being able to be truly competitive and try and push for European football after Christmas.

40 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

And the CL losers in the next/play-off round i.e. the one before the groups go into Europa League group stages?

Yes, so this win tonight guarantees some form of European football until Christmas

39 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Celtics potential opponents in next round 

Qarabag

Slavia Prague

Hapoel Beer Sheva

Rijeka

Astana

2 seeded sides and the top 2 unseeded sides, including Legia Warsaw, went out tonight.

If we can't see any of them off we don't want to be near playing teams like Real and PSG. 

Hopefully we will be a bit sharper for the next round and maybe have another decent player in.

I thought Scotty might've hit the nail on the head with his Griffiths conspiracy theory.

I thought his injury was conveniently taking the heat out of his suspension and the circumstances around it and he'd start tonight.

Turns out we were wrong.

25 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought Scotty might've hit the nail on the head with his Griffiths conspiracy theory.

I thought his injury was conveniently taking the heat out of his suspension and the circumstances around it and he'd start tonight.

Turns out we were wrong.

Sake! You've totally lost the plot there! There can't be many left on this board that take that boy seriously! ?

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Celtics potential opponents in next round 

Qarabag

Slavia Prague

Hapoel Beer Sheva

Rijeka

Astana

2 seeded sides and the top 2 unseeded sides, including Legia Warsaw, went out tonight.

Slavia Praha probably the best tie out of that lot all things considered ?

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought his injury was conveniently taking the heat out of his suspension and the circumstances around it...

It did. I was correct.

That's what happened.

Brendan left himself a wee get out of jail card because if they had lost tonight then Griffiths' tying a scarf round the post at Linfield could have conceivably cost Celtic 30M. 

Going the 'injury' and sub route (hat doffed) gave Rodgers the most cover for all possible outcomes.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

...and he'd start tonight.

Turns out we were wrong.

I never said he'd start.

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Sake! You've totally lost the plot there! There can't be many left on this board that take that boy seriously! ?

I've long since accepted that truth takes folk out of their comfort zones (to which many people will respond unkindly).

7 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Page 39 and this is where it all went down hill...

The first post taking a dig at my faith was indeed on page 39...

On 7/28/2017 at 4:02 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

Very few Ideas are original. Even Christianity is built on older religions concepts etc. 

The first time in this thread was when Rangers went out to Progres back on page 10...

On 7/5/2017 at 4:13 AM, Larky Masher said:

You're right it's not racist just the ramblings of a creationist imbecile.

Folk had been having a go at Rangers for the fashion of their exit (so I'd challenge your 'starting point).

Good to see Celtic getting through. I feel that the sides left should be easier than Rosenborg on paper - aside Astana - mainly due to the Norwegians being halfway through their season. Slavia are probably the easiest opponent, although they appear to have made qualifying for the next round on away goals a habit.

Aberdeen getting through in the Europa League would be great for Scottish football. It would be the first time since 2011 that a Scottish side has played in the play-off stage of the competition after winning in the previous round of the competition. Hopefully this season, despite the poor results from Rangers and St Johnstone, is the start of something positive for Scottish football.

9 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

...cheers John James ;)

He wanted Celtic to win their second leg, but wants Aberdeen to fail in Cyprus because of 'Wiggy' saying that everyone should just move on regarding everything that Rangers have gotten away with.

Big difference when Griffiths arrived. Let Armstrong go to Southampton I'd say, he looks like he's certainly made his decision, his performances have been very bad.

European football til at least Christmas just depends which rung. Hopefully Aberdeen can do well tonight too.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

It did. I was correct.

That's what happened.

Brendan left himself a wee get out of jail card because if they had lost tonight then Griffiths' tying a scarf round the post at Linfield could have conceivably cost Celtic 30M. 

Going the 'injury' and sub route (hat doffed) gave Rodgers the most cover for all possible outcomes.

I never said he'd start.

I've long since accepted that truth takes folk out of their comfort zones (to which many people will respond unkindly).

You've lost the plot.

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

It did. I was correct.

That's what happened.

I never said he'd start.

I can't see that. I don't believe Rodgers would take that risk.

I was willing to accept he may not have been injured last week, but can't believe he wouldn't have been fit to start last night if that was the case.

Not worth a £30 million gamble.

9 hours ago, slasher said:

Slavia Praha probably the best tie out of that lot all things considered ?

Have Slavia not been recently taken over by a Chinese consortium who have actually been spending pretty big-ish?