Scottish teams in Europe - Page 64 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

2 hours ago, slasher said:

We'll be unseeded so will get someone decent. Arsenal, Athletico Madrid, Milan, Lyon are some of the possibilities.

The way we have defended this season you wouldn't be confident of getting past anyone.

Milan are anything but decent this season. They're about the same level Anderlecht were before they appointed the new manager.

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Milan are anything but decent this season. They're about the same level Anderlecht were before they appointed the new manager.

Seen a couple of their games this season and I think Celtic would have a decent chance against them. 

Different story against the others though. 

5 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Seen a couple of their games this season and I think Celtic would have a decent chance against them. 

Different story against the others though. 

Watched them tonight v Rijeka and they were rank - lost 0-2.

Agree with you about the others.

44 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Watched them tonight v Rijeka and they were rank - lost 0-2.

Agree with you about the others.

Sounds like Milan are getting worse too. They shouldn't be getting beaten by the like of Rijeka. 

Time for Brendan Rodgers to cross his fingers. 

29 minutes ago, Mox said:

Not a bad draw considering we were unseeded although I would still be very surprised if we progressed past Zenit.

Could have been worse and could have been better I think. 

Got to hope they enjoy their winter break a lot to get a wee edge. 😉

16 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Tricky draw for us.

Big plus is they are at the end of a winter break so will be a little less match sharp than they are now but I don't think it will make much difference. 

This could be quite an interesting tie for gauging the "summer football" argument.  If Celtic go through comfortably, it may be the first real evidence that we need to kick our season off earlier to have a proper chance in Europe.  If Celtic get pumped, i think it pretty much damns the argument for me!

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

This could be quite an interesting tie for gauging the "summer football" argument.  If Celtic go through comfortably, it may be the first real evidence that we need to kick our season off earlier to have a proper chance in Europe.  If Celtic get pumped, i think it pretty much damns the argument for me!

I was thinking along those lines too.

Celtic getting pumped would surely strengthen the case for summer football.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I was thinking along those lines too.

Celtic getting pumped would surely strengthen the case for summer football.

On the contrary, if a team that's just been on a break for 3 months pumps Celtic then surely it shows summer football is a waste of time for us (based on the argument that summer football would ready us for Europe).

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

On the contrary, if a team that's just been on a break for 3 months pumps Celtic then surely it shows summer football is a waste of time for us (based on the argument that summer football would ready us for Europe).

Your argument would appear to defy logic.

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Your argument would appear to defy logic.

Maybe i'm getting myself confused (i did just post on "you know you're getting old when" Thread).

The argument for summer football is that we are prepared and ready for Europe.  Zenit are going on a 3 month break and starting cold in Feb (i.e. similar to Scottish teams not playing summer football and starting cold).  If Zenit pump Celtic, who on the other hand have effectively been playing throughout (i.e. similar to any teams that play summer football and hit the ground running for Europe), then my theory is that it would appear that the "summer football helps teams in Europe" argument is flawed?  Appreciate this isn't an exact science but surely a marker?

Does that help any or have i made it worse?

Edited by SMcoolJ

17 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Maybe i'm getting myself confused (i did just post on "you know you're getting old when" Thread).

The argument for summer football is that we are prepared and ready for Europe.  Zenit are going on a 3 month break and starting cold in Feb (i.e. similar to Scottish teams not playing summer football and starting cold).  If Zenit pump Celtic, who on the other hand have effectively been playing throughout (i.e. similar to any teams that play summer football and hit the ground running for Europe), then my theory is that it would appear that the "summer football helps teams in Europe" argument is flawed?  Appreciate this isn't an exact science but surely a marker?

Does that help any or have i made it worse?

If Zenit pump Celtic they will do so having just come out of a winter break. Which means the winter break didn't do them any harm. Then again they might just pump Celtic either way because Celtic are shyte, relatively speaking.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

If Zenit pump Celtic they will do so having just come out of a winter break. Which means the winter break didn't do them any harm. Then again they might just pump Celtic either way because Celtic are shyte, relatively speaking.

Ok, so we're saying exactly the same thing then?!

22 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Is the argument for summer football not more around Scottish teams being up to speed versus teams from similar or smaller footballing nations, who general pump us stupid, rather than a team from Russia who we'd be very unlikely to face in a preliminary round 1 qualifier in June?! 

46 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Is the argument for summer football not more around Scottish teams being up to speed versus teams from similar or smaller footballing nations, who general pump us stupid, rather than a team from Russia who we'd be very unlikely to face in a preliminary round 1 qualifier in June?! 

Yes it is. Exactly.

Zenit will be paying this tie having had a 3 month break - not entirely dissimilar to our summer break, whereas, Celtic will be mid way through their season for this tie - not entirely dissimilar to a lot of the teams the Scots face in the early European ties.  So, if the up to speed Celtic get pumped by the just had a 3 month break Zenit (where both reams are relatively similar in stature - like the early Euro rounds), this could represent a fairly strong argument against summer football. 

Like I said, it's not an exact science. 

25 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yes it is. Exactly.

Zenit will be paying this tie having had a 3 month break - not entirely dissimilar to our summer break, whereas, Celtic will be mid way through their season for this tie - not entirely dissimilar to a lot of the teams the Scots face in the early European ties.  So, if the up to speed Celtic get pumped by the just had a 3 month break Zenit (where both reams are relatively similar in stature - like the early Euro rounds), this could represent a fairly strong argument against summer football. 

Or, it could be an argument in favour of summer football, if Zenit win. Zenit are the team that play summer football and they would be the team going through to the next round.

This discussion could go on for a while. ;)

To be honest, I think the result of this tie (whoever wins it) adds absolutely nothing to the debate about whether we should play summer football or not.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Or, it could be an argument in favour of summer football, if Zenit win. Zenit are the team that play summer football and they would be the team going through to the next round.

This discussion could go on for a while. ;)

To be honest, I think the result of this tie (whoever wins it) adds absolutely nothing to the debate about whether we should play summer football or not.

All very true! 

So in a nutshell, if Zenit pump Celtic then Scotland will win the 6 Nations.....

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yes it is. Exactly.

And the point I was trying to suggest is Zenit are a much tougher team than we'd be expecting to face in round 1 of the qualifiers so despite their 3 month layoff I would not be surprised in the least if they won both legs of this tie....