Scottish teams in Europe - Page 43 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

13 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

The Europa League should be the cup winners of each country, second placed teams from each country and possible some third placed teams for the top nations. Again completely unseeded. This format may allow for the re-introduction of the Cup Winners' Cup, as that was killed by UEFA's decision to expand the Champions League to sides that hadn't won their national leagues - in the 1999 season Heerenveen were in the Cup Winners' Cup despite only reaching the Dutch Cup semi-final as both finalists had qualified for the Champions League.

The Cup Winners Cup was always the weakest of the three competitions - certainly after they changed Fairs Cup into the UEFA cup - as for many countries the domestic cup was less important than the league.  It was probably only in England and Scotland that the cup had the status it had and in England - and to a certain extent in Scotland - that's gone as well.   

There are a lot of things about how UEFA have restructured the competitions that I don't like but scrapping the Cup Winners Cup is one thing I think they got right.

A bit like the League Cups in Scotland and England, I've no idea why they still persist with them. 

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

The Cup Winners Cup was always the weakest of the three competitions - certainly after they changed Fairs Cup into the UEFA cup - as for many countries the domestic cup was less important than the league.  It was probably only in England and Scotland that the cup had the status it had and in England - and to a certain extent in Scotland - that's gone as well.   

There are a lot of things about how UEFA have restructured the competitions that I don't like but scrapping the Cup Winners Cup is one thing I think they got right.

A bit like the League Cups in Scotland and England, I've no idea why they still persist with them. 

I agree with most of this but the League Cup in Scotland is still taken seriously by the clubs (maybe not the fans).

I don't have to big an issue with the top leagues getting extra teams in the Champions League and Europa League but it becomes a joke when the the worst team from England gets to enter at the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League.

The reward for being a more successful league should be extra places but the punishment for being the weaker teams in that league should be to enter at the early rounds.

You are not going to get people who support English clubs owned by dodgy Russian oligarchs to view European football in a rationale manner.  It works for them as they have the resources to be part of the stitch up which has damaged so many teams amd leagues across Europe.

9 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

I'm more concerned by the existence of a magical talking snake supernatural serpent and two brothers populating the world where the only female on earth is their maw ?

They didn't, and she wasn't...

Question: "Who was Cain's wife? Was Cain's wife his sister?"

Answer: 
The Bible does not specifically say who Cain’s wife was. The only possible answer is that Cain's wife was his sister or niece or great-niece, etc. The Bible does not say how old Cain was when he killed Abel (Genesis 4:8). Since they were both farmers, they were likely both full-grown adults, possibly with families of their own. Adam and Eve surely had given birth to more children than just Cain and Abel at the time Abel was killed. They definitely had many more children later (Genesis 5:4). The fact that Cain was scared for his own life after he killed Abel (Genesis 4:14) indicates that there were likely many other children and perhaps even grandchildren of Adam and Eve already living at that time. Cain's wife (Genesis 4:17) was a daughter or granddaughter of Adam and Eve.

Since Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings, their children would have no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there were enough people to make intermarriage unnecessary (Leviticus 18:6-18). The reason that incest today often results in genetic abnormalities is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e., a brother and sister) have children together, there is a high risk of their recessive characteristics becoming dominant. When people from different families have children, it is highly unlikely that both parents will carry the same recessive traits. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, and that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Was the garden of Eden in Greenock??

Iraq (but thank you for your question. :wink2: )

8 hours ago, aaid said:

I wouldn't want that claim to in any way diminish the Dons accomplishments so please keep in mind who Aberdeen defeated along the way, and which European Champion they defeated (from the highest ranked League at the time, no less) in a game that was played for real over 2 legs (clean sheets in both) to also become the first 'British-based' team to win the Super Cup.

(I see what you did there.)

Yes, I agree.

Why folk come after me for my faith in 'Football Related' is beyond me.

(I, however, make no apologies for replying to and giving answers to the fine folk who are interested enough to comment and ask questions.)

6 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

(I see what you did there.)

Yes, I agree.

Why folk come after me for my faith in 'Football Related' is beyond me.

(I, however, make no apologies for replying to and giving answers to the fine folk who are interested enough to comment and ask questions.)

Cos you're a boring tw@t. 

56 minutes ago, Alan said:

If you are not into the various religious views then ignore it.  Would you be giving him such a hard time if he was from another faith?

its not hard to ignore and again in his defence, its not Scotty who brings it up. He defends himself when people have a dig at him

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Why should people ignore someone saying that they're going to hell? 

are you serious?

If anyone told me I was going to hell I wouldn't give a shit. Its easy to ignore. 

Edited by vanderark14

Just now, euan2020 said:

if you don't believe in hell - why worry ? or you are saying you are a believer ?

Nope. However, using that kind of language is going to rile people. Scotty can continue putting himself on a pedestal all he likes, however he should also expect to be knocked off it and it pointed out that much of his beliefs are abhorrent. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

If anyone told me I was going to hell I would give a shit. 

Cool story. My Pakistani pal used to say the same about folk calling him a "Paki". Doesn't make it right though. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Nope. However, using that kind of language is going to rile people. Scotty can continue putting himself on a pedestal all he likes, however he should also expect to be knocked off it and it pointed out that much of his beliefs are abhorrent. 

Cool story. My Pakistani pal used to say the same about folk calling him a "Paki". Doesn't make it right though. 

are you honestly comparing racism to someone telling you you are going to hell? :lol:

I used to think you were quite clever, an argumentative ##### but an intelligent one at least.

Edited by vanderark14

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

are you honestly comparing racism to someone telling you you are going to hell? :lol:

I used to think you were quite clever, an argumentative ##### but an intelligent one at least.

Not saying they are equal, no. Simply showing that something not bothering you, doesn't mean it's okay. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Not saying they are equal, no. Simply showing that something not bothering you, doesn't mean it's okay. 

I still have no idea why you would be bothered about someone telling you you are going to hell. There's a million things on the planet to be more offended at than this, anyway if you don;t believe in it why would you give the slightest shit whether someone thinks you are going there?

Big games for Dons on Thursday and Celtic on Wednesday.  Would be good to see both teams go forward. Dons have not made it past this stage in the last 3 attempts.  To be honest, I don't think we could have expected to (possible exception being Maribor) but do think we have a decent chance this time. This is the first time we've been away in second leg without having to score and therefore have the ability to sit in and counter which we seem to do quite well.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I still have no idea why you would be bothered about someone telling you you are going to hell. There's a million things on the planet to be more offended at than this, anyway if you don;t believe in it why would you give the slightest shit whether someone thinks you are going there?

I find it objectionable that someone who believes in many abhorrent things, such as Scotty, can imply that he is a better, more worthy person than other people. So, when he does, i'll pull him up on it. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I find it objectionable that someone who believes in many abhorrent things, such as Scotty, can imply that he is a better, more worthy person than other people. So, when he does, i'll pull him up on it. 

you go girl :lol:

16 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Big games for Dons on Thursday and Celtic on Wednesday.  Would be good to see both teams go forward. Dons have not made it past this stage in the last 3 attempts.  To be honest, I don't think we could have expected to (possible exception being Maribor) but do think we have a decent chance this time. This is the first time we've been away in second leg without having to score and therefore have the ability to sit in and counter which we seem to do quite well.

Hopefully both go through. It would be a very poor season if both teams went out at this stage, and Celtic dropping into the EL wouldn't soften the blow.