Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was good in their TV game the other week too (Phillips) but I got the impression from the commentary that he'd just returned from either injury or a spell in the wilderness.

Scotland definitely don't get the best out of Morrison, he seems to play well regularly for West Brom, but has been dung in 90% of his games for Scotland.

(I think it's 42 caps and I reckon 3 good games! 42 caps!!! There'll be guys with 25 caps spinning in their graves!)

1 hour ago, girvanTA said:

Matt Phillips had an excellent game tonight especially in the first half

I was there tonight and from what I saw I can’t agree about Philips. He was ok, scored but he defiantly didn't have an excellent game. Morrison was extremely good. Fletcher did well on the whole but kept giving the ball away. Burnley were awful, hard to judge to much from this game.

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

One for the trivia books, 3 Scotland players scoring in an English top league game.

I'm sure it's happened before but it must be a while!

Commentator said it was the second time, the other team to do it was Burnley.

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

Aye, great to see 3 Scots on the score sheet in an EPL game last night - obviously not something that happens very often.

It would be even better if they could replicate it occasionally for the national side!

to do that, the squad selection would need to be consistent and coherent whilst the team selection would need to be balanced allowing in-form players to play to their strengths in their natural positions. Pulis is no enlightened coach but he understands these basic requirements. Unfortunately we have a national manager who doesn't understand this and a governing body (and media) who fail to take him to task on this. 

This nonsense that the manager can only work with what he has got and he can't pluck a centre half from thin air is the type of fatalism and lack of ambition that permeates the Scottish game. instead of bemoaning the lack of a decent centre half, God forbid we develop a formation that strengthens defence for the time being - and maybe, just maybe, by having two strikers attempting to hold the ball up we can take some pressure of a weak defence. But no, we can only play one up front and play in a counter attacking style with no good centre halves - there is no other option and nothing any manager can do to address this so just suck it up. 

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, er yir macaroon said:

he played 25 minutes and helped turn the game. His management clearly value him. He'll be starting before too long. I'll choose my words carefully, but judging by last nights performance he has more potential to be world class than any of our players since Dalglish.

Dalglish learned to play football in Scotland.  Whilst I hope the loon goes on to be Scotland's star player, wins 100 caps and has an outstanding club career, he cannot be considered to be a player Scotland has produced or that the country can take any credit for.

43 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

Dalglish learned to play football in Scotland.  Whilst I hope the loon goes on to be Scotland's star player, wins 100 caps and has an outstanding club career, he cannot be considered to be a player Scotland has produced or that the country can take any credit for.

Doesn't matter a jot to me.

On 19/11/2016 at 8:53 AM, Bino's said:

in last squad i would have picked Armstrong, Bardsley, Phillips, Hutton, Dorrans & Douglas

ahead of Morrison, Wallace, Anya, Paterson, Bannan & Kingsley

Can't make a lot of sense of that.

Call up Hutton, even tho he's retired.
Drop the two left backs from the squad and call up a guy with no caps (nothing against Douglas per se).
Drop Morrison for Dorrans, even tho Dorrans plays in the league bellow and has had 11 caps that no one remembers.
Call up Phillips who showed no desire to even run for us when he started against Italy a few months back.
Dropping Anya who's workrate and pace on the counter is really useful (when he's not playing right back for no reason).
Dropping Paterson, because who needs confidence or more than one fullback in a squad.

Happier with Strachan's squad than with yours I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Can't make a lot of sense of that.

Call up Hutton, even tho he's retired.
Drop the two left backs from the squad and call up a guy with no caps (nothing against Douglas per se).
Drop Morrison for Dorrans, even tho Dorrans plays in the league bellow and has had 11 caps that no one remembers.
Call up Phillips who showed no desire to even run for us when he started against Italy a few months back.
Dropping Anya who's workrate and pace on the counter is really useful (when he's not playing right back for no reason).
Dropping Paterson, because who needs confidence or more than one fullback in a squad.

Happier with Strachan's squad than with yours I'm afraid.

I agree. Pulis cited Phillips lacking confidence and consistency but he may improve over the next few months. Adam starting to get games for Stoke. I can't wait til Strachan picks Bardsley and folk start moaning about non Scots being brought in. Strachan is damned both ways on that. Like Strachan said recently, by next year 2 or 3 players who didn't make recent squads may be playing regularly at club level and be brought in. And maybe a youngster may be ready to make a real difference like Burke or Gauld? 

1 hour ago, Tartacus said:

I agree. Pulis cited Phillips lacking confidence and consistency but he may improve over the next few months. Adam starting to get games for Stoke. I can't wait til Strachan picks Bardsley and folk start moaning about non Scots being brought in. Strachan is damned both ways on that. Like Strachan said recently, by next year 2 or 3 players who didn't make recent squads may be playing regularly at club level and be brought in. And maybe a youngster may be ready to make a real difference like Burke or Gauld? 

I agree. Bardsley shouldn't be called up as he is English. As is Phillips, so he's a no too. Gauld is Scottish so he can play, albeit he has done absolutely nothing to merit a call up.

Armstrong showed last night vs Barca why he's not international class. Tidy and creative but he gave the ball away time after time, once even making a perfect sideways pass along the halfway line... straight to an unmarked messi, who could hardly believe his luck!

Shame as I thought he could be a real prospect for us.