Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

I'd prefer the manager to keep an eye on players aged 18-21 from the SPFL who are starting their careers and showing potential. Players like Liam Smith, Chris Cadden, Liam Lindsay, Dom Thomas and *Ross MacLean. 

Of course though I fully realise that in some positions there we have no choice but to pick an SPFL player such as Griffiths or Paterson.

*I know he's only played about a dozen games for Motherwell but surely worth keeping an eye on ?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd prefer the manager to keep an eye on players aged 18-21 from the SPFL who are starting their careers and showing potential. Players like Liam Smith, Chris Cadden, Liam Lindsay, Dom Thomas and *Ross MacLean. 

Of course though I fully realise that in some positions there we have no choice but to pick an SPFL player such as Griffiths or Paterson.

*I know he's only played about a dozen games for Motherwell but surely worth keeping an eye on ?

Likelihood of any of those listed being capped slim at best.

48 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

how do you know?

Because they are average/below average players at best.

I remember not so long ago you spent a long time on here pushing for Michael O'Halloran to be called up, something which quickly stopped after he left St.Johnstone, incidentally....

If Stuart Armstrong or Calum McGregor got called up there would be an outcry because 'they only got called up because they play for Celtic'. when in reality, the team they play for is streaks ahead of all the others in our own domestic league and our only team that features regularly in Europe - So of course this makes them more likely choices for a call up than players playing for lesser SPL sides.

Not saying McGregor deserves a call up but to be honest i'd sooner see him in the squad than someone outside the top tier like John McGinn.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Because they are average/below average players at best.

I remember not so long ago you spent a long time on here pushing for Michael O'Halloran to be called up, something which quickly stopped after he left St.Johnstone, incidentally....

If Stuart Armstrong or Calum McGregor got called up there would be an outcry because 'they only got called up because they play for Celtic'. when in reality, the team they play for is streaks ahead of all the others in our own domestic league and our only team that features regularly in Europe - So of course this makes them more likely choices for a call up than players playing for lesser SPL sides.

Not saying McGregor deserves a call up but to be honest i'd sooner see him in the squad than someone outside the top tier like John McGinn.

You're saying the chance of Chris Cadden getting capped is slim. I'd like to know why you think he is average or below average at best. O'Halloran has blistering pace, so i said he should be considered. He may struggle with the emergence of Burke, McKay and Fraser.

Sam Gallagher would be a great addition to the Scotland squad I'd also be trying very hard to bring in Matt Targett Southampton another that played for Scotland 19s then England 19s/21s

Angus Gunn what's that all about the son of Bryan Gunn x Aberdeen is the England under 21s keeper and has been on the bench a few times at Man City

Does anyone know who are the Scotland scouts are ? surely we have a network looking at players not just in Scotland and England but  USA -Australia etc must be a nugget somewhere around the globe that we could find (maybe even a centre back !) though was at the Newcastle Blackburn game Mulgrew played really well.

We need to be better at finding quality players 

1 minute ago, Scout said:

Sam Gallagher would be a great addition to the Scotland squad I'd also be trying very hard to bring in Matt Targett Southampton another that played for Scotland 19s then England 19s/21s

Angus Gunn what's that all about the son of Bryan Gunn x Aberdeen is the England under 21s keeper and has been on the bench a few times at Man City

Does anyone know who are the Scotland scouts are ? surely we have a network looking at players not just in Scotland and England but  USA -Australia etc must be a nugget somewhere around the globe that we could find (maybe even a centre back !) though was at the Newcastle Blackburn game Mulgrew played really well.

We've had a number of Australian born lads involved in the youth teams and they all chucked us. 

Targett and Gallagher can piss aff. We seemingly weren't good enough for them first time round.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Does anyone know who are the Scotland scouts are ? surely we have a network looking at players not just in Scotland and England but  USA -Australia etc must be a nugget somewhere around the globe that we could find (maybe even a centre back !) 

A dad of a work mate of mine is a Scout for Scotland.  He said to me a few weeks back that the SFA have recently been unwilling to pay his (and others) travel expenses and they pretty much expect them now to do it for the love of the game!

29 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

Apologies if I've missed this post somewhere lads but it's vast in terms of the content. 

Can someone explain to me why the likes of Matt Phillips can't get a look in yet the manager keeps picking the likes of Forrest? 

Probably because Phillips has only been a regular and playing well since our last game.

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

You're saying the chance of Chris Cadden getting capped is slim. I'd like to know why you think he is average or below average at best. O'Halloran has blistering pace, so i said he should be considered. He may struggle with the emergence of Burke, McKay and Fraser.

Fraser played well for half an hour!

4 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

he struggle's to get in a crap rangers team let alone the scotland squad.

he had a pawlett patch for a couple of months before his move and that was it

I think Barrie McKay would thrive once he gets away from the pressure he is under at Ibrox.

Hearts or Aberdeen would be good clubs for him, in Scotland anyway.

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think Barrie McKay would thrive once he gets away from the pressure he is under at Ibrox.

Hearts or Aberdeen would be good clubs for him, in Scotland anyway.

i think he is doing fine there, pressure to win every game and big crowds will be good for him i think, he's a promising player for the future

3 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

Apologies if I've missed this post somewhere lads but it's vast in terms of the content. 

Can someone explain to me why the likes of Matt Phillips can't get a look in yet the manager keeps picking the likes of Forrest? 

In saying that I think forrest has been great for Celtic this season, he had a good game v Man City at the etihad before going off injured.

Phillips has done well since getting back into the first eleven, as has Charlie Adam at Stoke. Although out of all the midfielders that deserve a chance I will stick my neck out and say Armstrong 100℅ has earned a cap

10 hours ago, girvanTA said:

In saying that I think forrest has been great for Celtic this season, he had a good game v Man City at the etihad before going off injured.

Phillips has done well since getting back into the first eleven, as has Charlie Adam at Stoke. Although out of all the midfielders that deserve a chance I will stick my neck out and say Armstrong 100℅ has earned a cap

I would agree with Armstrong. He should have been in before bringing Brown back. 

My point was Phillips was a regular for QPR last season and was playing well and he has been tearing it up the last few weeks for West Brom. He is surely a better option than some of the players being selected. 

I'm still disillusioned that Strachan is in the job. He's lost the plot in my opinion 

On 14/12/2016 at 7:40 PM, Scout said:

Mulgrew? He wasn't the worst on the pitch but Blackburn were horrific and he was part of that display.