Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Thought that was unfair of Sutton.  I've always thought Phillips had bags of potential and was excited that he opted for us.  But it's only recently that he's put a string of good performances together on a consistent basis for WBA and he hasn't done it in a blue jersey yet.

Come on, surely Strachan must've known four weeks ago that Phillips was going to have blinder at the beginning of December?  

Fraser is the most talented young player to come through at Aberdeen since Eoin Jess. It's a shame we only saw him about 15 times. 

A wonderfully talented player. 

46 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fraser is the most talented young player to come through at Aberdeen since Eoin Jess. It's a shame we only saw him about 15 times. 

A wonderfully talented player. 

Three things spring into my mind from this.  1. Agreed,  Fraser has some real attributes.  2. Jess was wonderful.  3. As a club, Aberdeen have been okay at producing guys coming through to the first team but haven't produced many players in the past 25 years who went onto play at a much higher level.  

Edited by dieselarmy

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Thought that was unfair of Sutton.  I've always thought Phillips had bags of potential and was excited that he opted for us.  But it's only recently that he's put a string of good performances together on a consistent basis for WBA and he hasn't done it in a blue jersey yet.

Yeah I'd agree there. Didn't realise Phillips is only 25, still plenty of time for him to come good for us...

On 29/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, ProudScot said:

Was their captain the other night. Plays for a club in the same league as Hanley but actually plays. No brainer he should get a call up instead IMO

Have you actually seen him play tho?

Cos I have and he's a bigger bomb scare than Hanley. Hanley would play every week for Leeds, comparing their squad to newcastles in terms of depth and quality is.. misguided.

On 04/12/2016 at 8:12 AM, Bino's said:

didnt run in a friendly apparently, so according to some on here not to be considered for future games

That's not what I said. I said he'd not warranted a call up to the squad a month ago. Which he didn't.

He's since improved his form dramatically. Whether he'd do it for us is still a big question mark, but I think it'd be hard to leave him out in March if he's still playing this well.

15 minutes ago, andyD said:

Cos I have and he's a bigger bomb scare than Hanley. Hanley would play every week for Leeds, comparing their squad to newcastles in terms of depth and quality is.. misguided.

I was at the leeds v Villa game on Saturday and there is no way Hanley would play every week for leeds . The 2 centre backs Bartley and Jannssen are playing great . Hence why Cooper cant get in . Sorry but no way Hanley would dislodge either of those 2 

aye, like you, glossing over Garth Crooks involvement, there is plenty of evidence to show that we have a wide selection of players playing well at a decent level to choose from. decent teams with decent managers choose in form players and adapt their formation to suit these players. shite teams with shite managers play the same formation with the same players with the same results and then to deflect from their shortcomings by banging on about a dearth of talent and height which a compliant media repeat ad nauseam so that a large number of fans (and governing officials) are happy to keep him in a job.

These fans trot out pish like "supporting my team through thick and thin", "there's no manager out there who would touch the job", "one win and we are right back in it" and "in Gord we Trust" when most normal and reasonable football fans would be friggin livid at the depths we have sunk to and should be letting the manager and the SFA know about it particularly when it can be rectified.

But hey, like your cooncil, you get the manager, the organisation and ultimately the team you deserve and we are deserving of the current manager and deserving of the performances. like a Renton diatribe, it is indeed shite being Scottish.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

That is utter tripe.

I've seen Cooper 6 times last season and once this and he's a far better option than Hanley who is derided by Toon fans.

Cooper is being kept out by two guys playing extremely well. 

4 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

aye, like you, glossing over Garth Crooks involvement, there is plenty of evidence to show that we have a wide selection of players playing well at a decent level to choose from. decent teams with decent managers choose in form players and adapt their formation to suit these players. shite teams with shite managers play the same formation with the same players with the same results and then to deflect from their shortcomings by banging on about a dearth of talent and height which a compliant media repeat ad nauseam so that a large number of fans (and governing officials) are happy to keep him in a job.

These fans trot out pish like "supporting my team through thick and thin", "there's no manager out there who would touch the job", "one win and we are right back in it" and "in Gord we Trust" when most normal and reasonable football fans would be friggin livid at the depths we have sunk to and should be letting the manager and the SFA know about it particularly when it can be rectified.

But hey, like your cooncil, you get the manager, the organisation and ultimately the team you deserve and we are deserving of the current manager and deserving of the performances. like a Renton diatribe, it is indeed shite being Scottish.

Great post. 

14 hours ago, macy37 said:

I've seen Cooper 6 times last season and once this and he's a far better option than Hanley who is derided by Toon fans.

I'll defer to you on Cooper as I've never really seen him but I would disagree with you there on Hanley. I'm a season ticket holder and I don't think anyone really has an opinion on Hanley as he hasn't been seen that much. Most people would probably just shrug and say "I dunno"

My personal opinion is that as he's not playing for his club and is making regular mistakes internationally, he should be out of the squad till he gets back playing regularly.

17 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Snodgrass really is a shadow of his former self. Completely hopeless for Hull tonight.

From 3 months ago?

:lol:

on Phillips, he scored his 1st goal of the season in November, and has been hooked in almost every game. Although he does appear to have hit a bit of form.

38 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Ryan Gauld played the whole game for Vitoria Setubal tonight and they won 2-0. Great he's playing a bit more often in the Portuguese top flight now, maybe an outside chance of him making the next squad if he keeps playing?

Come on Gauldy.  I was at Stracathro Services this morning btw.