Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Marky

How you doing lad

any of you Jersey boys heading over? Big squad from Guernsey

I'm going over mate but taking some customers so not with the usual crowd. I'm meeting up with some mates and family on Saturday tho. How long are you lads over for? 

40 minutes ago, Smokie said:

Phillips is a class above James Forrest

Shearer was bigging up Phillips on MOTD.  Excellent cross for Morrison's header and nice calm finish for his own goal.  Pulis indicated he needed to have more belief in himself.  I do think he has the attributes to play up front either on his own or just off a central striker, not sure that being stuck out wide suits him best.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Phillips has not looked at all bothered when he's played for us.
One good game doesn't make him worth a call up.

I don't know if anyone was actually saying that he should be called up! Just pointing out that we was better than Forrest (not my point but form what I've seen I can't disagree) and that he played well on Saturday, there's not  too many of our players who are featuring regularly in leagues like the EPL.  I thought Pulis point about confidence was interesting.

Forrest is playing better this season that Phillips is. And whether you rate Forrest or not, he does come on and try, even if it doesn't always come off. All I've seen Matt Phillips do in his 4 caps is stand around looking like he cant be arsed. Not sure he's ever broken a sweat for us.

If you want an example of a player who seems to just want international football as a profile raiser then I'd give you Matt Phillips as a prime example.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Forrest is playing better this season that Phillips is. And whether you rate Forrest or not, he does come on and try, even if it doesn't always come off. All I've seen Matt Phillips do in his 4 caps is stand around looking like he cant be arsed. Not sure he's ever broken a sweat for us.

If you want an example of a player who seems to just want international football as a profile raiser then I'd give you Matt Phillips as a prime example.

Matt Phillips has 4 caps??

Bloody hell I really haven't been paying attention in recent times. I'd have said one cap max.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Forrest has never had a good game for Scotland yet is one of Strachans favs/Celtic so he's in the squad regardless.

Next manager won't be so blinded (surely) and we will see Adam, Bardsley, Phillips, McCormack, Rhodes etc in the squad hopefully 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Forrest has never had a good game for Scotland yet is one of Strachans favs/Celtic so he's in the squad regardless.

Next manager won't be so blinded (surely) and we will see Adam, Bardsley, Phillips, McCormack, Rhodes etc in the squad hopefully 

Of that list, who deserves a call?
I'd say Bardsley, as one of the best two available right backs. But that's about it.
Adam and Rhodes have barely kicked a ball between them.
McCormack hasnt played 90 minutes for a month now and hasnt scored in over two months.
Phillips has not cared in the slightest when he's been put on the pitch for us.

There's maybe players who are on the verge of a call.. Shinnie, McDonald.. Bardsley should be if he's not. It's possible Bardsley wasnt called because Hutton only decided to quit at the very last second.

I really can't think of a long list of player who should be in the squad but aren't.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, girvanTA said:

Stuart Armstrong with a goal and motm  v K**lie, RB Leipzig make history an are now top of the bundesliga with Burke coming on as a sub. Scott Brown issues a "we'll see" when asked about his international future

if burke was starting for that team great

but coming on as an impact player

that is not the guy to be building your international team around

On 11/9/2016 at 5:38 PM, andyD said:

Of that list, who deserves a call?
I'd say Bardsley, as one of the best two available right backs. But that's about it.
Adam and Rhodes have barely kicked a ball between them.
McCormack hasnt played 90 minutes for a month now and hasnt scored in over two months.
Phillips has not cared in the slightest when he's been put on the pitch for us.

There's maybe players who are on the verge of a call.. Shinnie, McDonald.. Bardsley should be if he's not. It's possible Bardsley wasnt called because Hutton only decided to quit at the very last second.

I really can't think of a long list of player who should be in the squad but aren't.

in last squad i would have picked Armstrong, Bardsley, Phillips, Hutton, Dorrans & Douglas

ahead of Morrison, Wallace, Anya, Paterson, Bannan & Kingsley

27 minutes ago, Bino's said:

To break into a winning team in the bundesliga is hard enough, granted that we would prefer him to be starting though. If he continues to develop his potential then I see no reason not to build a team around him, but we should be laying the foundation's just now

27 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Come March, Burke will be our best player, make no mistake about that.

What impressed me was his sharp link up play - controlling on the chest and laying it off etc. The bulldozing past players and skinning them for pace is a given.

23 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

To break into a winning team in the bundesliga is hard enough, granted that we would prefer him to be starting though. If he continues to develop his potential then I see no reason not to build a team around him, but we should be laying the foundation's just now

i want to see him be starting in that team this season

otherwise he should be saying to them, i'm off

a mid table bundesliga side would be fine

so long as he's starting every week

its the only way you develop

not by grabbing 10 minutes here and there

13 minutes ago, Bino's said:

i want to see him be starting in that team this season

otherwise he should be saying to them, i'm off

a mid table bundesliga side would be fine

so long as he's starting every week

its the only way you develop

not by grabbing 10 minutes here and there

he played 25 minutes and helped turn the game. His management clearly value him. He'll be starting before too long. I'll choose my words carefully, but judging by last nights performance he has more potential to be world class than any of our players since Dalglish.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

he played 25 minutes and helped turn the game. His management clearly value him. He'll be starting before too long. I'll choose my words carefully, but judging by last nights performance he has more potential to be world class than any of our players since Dalglish.

yeah its a good beginning, especially with them doing so well

but he must start

you need to be playing 90 mins week in and week out

11 minutes ago, Bino's said:

yeah its a good beginning, especially with them doing so well

but he must start

you need to be playing 90 mins week in and week out

He will be starting soon im sure of it. impact player for top of bundesliga at 19 is brilliant as far as im concerned now. but wgs will still go with maloney or someone hes pals with. As for brown he is an embarrassment we dont need him imo. Anyone who thinks he bossed it v city knows hee haw bout football, yes he did not bad but so did others but it was rogic who was celtic best. mcarthur any day of the week for me and strachans skills on dealing with this are ridiculous. Hope brown gets stick at every ground going. All this about protecting himself getting rest etc would get binned if the unbelievable happened and we won our next 4 games. lets not forget he dropped out georgia game in 07.

11 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Injuries permitting, Scott Allan and Kirk Broadfoot both at the ipro today. Lets see what all the fuss around Allan was.  

No sign of either, I think KB is injured and if Allan cant get into that Rotherham team he cant be upto much. 

Johnny Russell was his usual mix of good and frustrating. Anya on the bench and didnt get on. 

On 19/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Hold on. It was a promising 25 minutes for sure, and I know you have said potential  but to bring out world class after a 25 minute 'performance' is nonsense. 

Truth is the guy is raw,  and has been impressive and unimpressive in equal measures in the very limited amount of 1st team minutes he's actually played. He could be anything or nothing. Undoubtedly we should be excited about him, but I think references to world class and our greatest ever attacker are a bit premature.