Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

8 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Armstrong showed last night vs Barca why he's not international class. Tidy and creative but he gave the ball away time after time, once even making a perfect sideways pass along the halfway line... straight to an unmarked messi, who could hardly believe his luck!

Shame as I thought he could be a real prospect for us.

I didn't see the game but were there any Celtic players who looked international class (for any country)?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

I didn't see the game but were there any Celtic players who looked international class (for any country)?

Scott brown has been fantastic ever since he retired, and again last night was impressive. Wish he was younger, Scotland need his driving force. 

6 hours ago, andyD said:

Can't make a lot of sense of that.

Call up Hutton, even tho he's retired.
Drop the two left backs from the squad and call up a guy with no caps (nothing against Douglas per se).
Drop Morrison for Dorrans, even tho Dorrans plays in the league bellow and has had 11 caps that no one remembers.
Call up Phillips who showed no desire to even run for us when he started against Italy a few months back.
Dropping Anya who's workrate and pace on the counter is really useful (when he's not playing right back for no reason).
Dropping Paterson, because who needs confidence or more than one fullback in a squad.

Happier with Strachan's squad than with yours I'm afraid.

all mine were playing week in at a decent level

all the others were either not playing or at a poorer level

morrison has since come into a bit of fom though

18 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Scott brown has been fantastic ever since he retired, and again last night was impressive. Wish he was younger, Scotland need his driving force. 

Eh no he was nae and being fantastic against inferior opposition is easy. he done no too bad against city and Germans away.all others Inc England match he's been where he's been for last 5 years which is nowhere. 

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Eh no he was nae and being fantastic against inferior opposition is easy. he done no too bad against city and Germans away.all others Inc England match he's been where he's been for last 5 years which is nowhere. 

Disagree. A fit Scott brown would be the first name on a Scotland teamsheet for me. I don't think that second half in Slovakia would've unravelled that badly if he was playing. 

Good to See the Scottish Cup this year, i remember the days of Duncan Shearer and John McGinlay, Christie, Cowie etc in the Highland league hopefully we can Produce a few others...i reckon there's More hope there than waiting for Gould.

Regan and Doncaster have at least done well in creating a centre of excellence in the non footy capital o Scotland !!  and a natural betterment for semi pro/ amatuer clubs which was non existent before...(promotion/relegation)!  Welle Don :)

11 minutes ago, Chief said:

Adam scores for Stoke, another goal in the English Premier League for a player Strachan doesn't rate. 

Let's be absolutely honest here though. Thats a cheap shot at Strachan. Adam is consistently berated on here, people can't say he's not good enough and then criticise GS for not picking him.

Thing I've never understood about Adam is why almost all managers he's played for since Blackpool have never gave him that free role. He's played just off Crouch at stoke a few times and he's scored and assisted most times this happened. A few games later he's then put back to a midfield role like at Liverpool and he's just less effective. With Scotland I think Levien and Strachan have missed a trick with him playing him in the conventional midfield area. Blackpool and occasionally at stoke have proved if you give him the freedom he produces. Irrelevant now though obviously.

On 27/11/2016 at 2:17 PM, Bino's said:

Strachan's club side philosophy has hamstrung himself
he's stuck with players who have dropped down a level when others at a higher level seemingly have no chance

as with some of his club sides he's proven too stubborn

Which players are you thinking of who are at a higher level?

Squad Regulars: McArthur, McGregor, Robertson, Snodgrass, Kingsley, Morrison, DFletcher
Had caps, but not impressed: George Boyd, Matt Phillips, Charlie Adam
Don't play: Jordan Rhodes, Ryan Fraser, Donald Love, Jordan McGhee, Shaun Maloney (capped when he did), Jay Fulton (played last 2, so might get a call if he keeps playing)
Plays and not Capped: Phil Bardsley

For me the only one who seems to have no chance right now is Bardsley.. and while i think he should be in the squad, he's wouldn't have changed the campaign had be been involved.
You could say Adam should be called, but by the time of the squad being announced for the England game, Adam had played barely 1 half of premier league football all season.
Matt Phillips got his most recent cap a few months ago and was rubbish, putting in no effort at all.
George Boyd has had caps and not impressed. He's playing regularly at Burnley, but he's competing position-wise with Snodgrass, Burke and Forrest. Given his age and their form, I'm not sure you can say he deserves a call ahead of them.

So yeah.. seems like a bit of a baseless statement from yourself.