Tartan Army Embarrassment - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army Embarrassment

slasher

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Southgate came out branding the TA a disgrace for their treatment of Harry Maguire, even his maw has come out moaning.

Pretty odd thing to pick on out of all the shite that allegedly happened at the game. Although I do not subscribe to vilification of specific players thru social media, of which Maguire is a particularly unfortunate example.

To be fair to Southgate he said the tartan army jeering McGuire wasn't a problem and that's what football fans do. He was blaming the media for building up the McGuire situation. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my first stint going to Scotland games 86 -05  a LOT of fans , particularly away from home, seemed to care an AWFUL LOT about 'The Reputation' of Scotland fans...

I don't know if this is still such a big thing or not, my matchday routine no longer includes pubs , away games, being in a TA club  etc ,but if it is then the Harry Kane 'song' simply HAS to stop.

I'm not one for booing any anthem personally, but do think this is way worse 

Edited by Robbo `81
Spelling

On 9/13/2023 at 1:05 AM, Diamond Scot said:

The Hampden roar is present when the moment dictates. Noise during anthems was as loud as you are likely to hear. Many top pros have said that a bouncing Hampden isone of the loudest stadiums they have played in. Im sure Gary Neville recently said that he has never been in a stadium that shock like Hampden was during the 2-2 game.

Wasnt about in the 60s etc when there was 100k but id be surprised if there was 90mins of constant noise back then.

Like most things in modern day society. The minute something gets a name and the name becomes useable / sellable / marketable then it losses something. I find it cringey when the announcer asks to hear the Hampden roar, in the same way I hate when people talk about the "tartan army".

No disrespect to current supporters but the 100k crowds were male and knowledgeable about the game, there was constant noise as people tried to talk over other fans with massive surges when something was happening. Or so I was told by a grumpy, sinical old man a few years back. As for the tartan army always thought that should have stayed as it was at first and just apply to supporters abroad. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No disrespect to current supporters but the 100k crowds were male and knowledgeable about the game, there was constant noise as people tried to talk over other fans with massive surges when something was happening. Or so I was told by a grumpy, sinical old man a few years back. As for the tartan army always thought that should have stayed as it was at first and just apply to supporters abroad. 

I assume it must have been the wives of all those knowledgeable male supporters that had the brains to read the ticket schedule to get them in…..

Nothing that happened on Tuesday hasn't happened before

Booing of GSTQ/GSTK - check

Leaving early as we are rubbish - check

Unpleasant song about Kane - check (Unpleasant song about Shearer being a paedophile France 98)

"If you hate the fuckin English clap your hands" - in use since the 70s

Are we being re conditioned with the Scottish cringe ?

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I assume it must have been the wives of all those knowledgeable male supporters that had the brains to read the ticket schedule to get them in…..

OK, I asked for that. 

My wife has no interest, but my daughters will look after me from now on👌

Both regulars at the games and my 25 year old knows more about the game than I do and the 15 year old makes more noise. 

Time to retire I think. 

I sang the Shearer song as loud as anyone in 1996 / 98 , just as I would probably have sung the Harry Kane song as well.

But I wouldn't sing either in 2023, which is the point surely.

We've all done / said things at football we wish we hadn't in hindsight, things that perhaps society as a whole deemed as acceptable at the time - The 2 offensive terms used in the Kane song were commonplace when I was growing up.in 70s/80s - not saying it was right , just reporting facts -but cannot remember last time I heard either outwith Kane song.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Unpleasant song about Kane - check (Unpleasant song about Shearer being a paedophile France 98)

Absolutely all of that happend when I was going, in fact much worse including racial abuse of England's black players.

The outrage this time is more an indication of societal change than any kind of Scottish cringe.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes we are, and plenty folk seem to be happy to buy into it.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What age are you ffs? Sexist old man. 

I suspect most of the pissheads that used to take 6 cans and a half bottle of Whyte and McKay to games were no more knowledgable than the pissheads that go to the games today and plenty of people who do go today, including women, are very knowledgable about the game. 

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The outrage this time is more an indication of societal change than any kind of Scottish cringe.

Probably - however it feels as if we are always on the defensive and apologetic now.

BTW - I was in a pub in Paris and we were getting along great with a couple of Yorkshire blokes in their 40s when a crowd near us started the Shearer song and the English guys were quite rightly fucking raging and the mood changed.

We had to apologise - so i think the Kane song is horrific too but that is the point of them - to offend

Just trying to highlight that these things are nothing new and when you are pished most of us turn into arseholes and join in 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

What age are you ffs? Sexist old man. 

I suspect most of the pissheads that used to take 6 cans and a half bottle of Whyte and McKay to games were no more knowledgable than the pissheads that go to the games today and plenty of people who do go today, including women, are very knowledgable about the game. 

Read the post properly and you will see that I said I was told by an old man a few years back who remembered the hampden roar..i also said no disrespect as it was not my view.

Ii also said that my daughter knew more about football than I did. 

So my comments were far from sexist. 

My grandfather on the other hand was a totally different generation........ 

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Read the post properly and you will see that I said I was told by an old man a few years back who remembered the hampden roar..i also said no disrespect as it was not my view.

Ii also said that my daughter knew more about football than I did. 

So my comments were far from sexist. 

My grandfather on the other hand was a totally different generation........ 

Yeah I wasn’t being serious. I don’t think you’re sexist. Although I do think you’re an old man. 😂

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

OK, I asked for that. 

My wife has no interest, but my daughters will look after me from now on👌

Both regulars at the games and my 25 year old knows more about the game than I do and the 15 year old makes more noise. 

Time to retire I think. 

I was just having a wee joke with my dig. I think you know that though. I have said on here before that I dont post anything on threads about formations etc, I prefer to just read,  as being an older woman  I have never played football, women’s team wasn’t really an option when I was young .  I personally think you need to have experience playing football to fully understand it, though you don’t need experience to recognise skill or cock ups .
Its great that it’s getting popular with younger women, I really like listening to Leanne Crichton.  

I think the phones are a big distraction at games though. I know some folk are  using them to check other scores but people seem to be addicted to them .

So reading through this interesting thread. Here is ma take on this......

Fuck england

Fuck their king

Fuck their anthem

Fuck their supporters

Fuck their football squad.....

Scotland Forever 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 9/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, TDYER63 said:

I was just having a wee joke with my dig. I think you know that though. I have said on here before that I dont post anything on threads about formations etc, I prefer to just read,  as being an older woman  I have never played football, women’s team wasn’t really an option when I was young .  I personally think you need to have experience playing football to fully understand it, though you don’t need experience to recognise skill or cock ups .
Its great that it’s getting popular with younger women, I really like listening to Leanne Crichton.  

I think the phones are a big distraction at games though. I know some folk are  using them to check other scores but people seem to be addicted to them .

Ah but do you understand the offside rule 😉

Then again i'm nae sure anyone does now, especially the match officials 😵

13 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

😂 I thought I did but its hard keeping up.

Pretty sure the changes are a cunning plan to keep those darned women in their place 😉

On 9/15/2023 at 10:48 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

Also belted out the sash in the Rangers end at scotland games. Ah the good old days eh.

57 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Also belted out the sash in the Rangers end at scotland games. Ah the good old days eh.

The huns away support were singing ‘you can stick yer tartan army up yer arse’ yesterday (not for the first time) so I think we can safely say those days have gone.

On 9/16/2023 at 2:53 PM, RDFH64 said:

kind of weird now to think all those goals that were ruled off , as some bloke had strayed by the corner flag - the old rules