England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England are a talented side but we should not fear them - or anyone - at home. 

If we looked at the teams on paper and saw their star striker playing for Real Madrid and ours playing in the Championship (no offence to them) and felt fear or that we are not worthy, we may as well give up and not bother fielding a national team, just leave the game to big countries.

The fact we beat Spain shows that we can compete with anyone on our day. The problem is when we have an off day, that's all. It happens. 

7 hours ago, exile said:

England are a talented side but we should not fear them - or anyone - at home. 

If we looked at the teams on paper and saw their star striker playing for Real Madrid and ours playing in the Championship (no offence to them) and felt fear or that we are not worthy, we may as well give up and not bother fielding a national team, just leave the game to big countries.

The fact we beat Spain shows that we can compete with anyone on our day. The problem is when we have an off day, that's all. It happens. 

Nail on the head.

We need to be at the top of our games to beat sides like England but we weren't last night. As a result we lost 3-1 against one of the best sides in the world.

The question of fear isn’t the one to answer, we shouldn’t, we can’t fear anyone. Obviously you have to show a certain amount of respect to quality teams and players. But no gain in fearing anyone. 

Unfortunately they have guys who play for Bayern and Real Madrid for a reason so there’s only so much we can do but we can do better than what I seen based on the highlights. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The third goal was the most disappointing for me, we let their defence knock it about in our half for a couple of minutes. Why was that allowed to happen?

Because we spent the whole first half trying to press them high in their own half and they just passed it around, through and over us to create chance after chance. The idea is that they are unlikely to be as much of a threat if they have the ball in their own half and we have almost all our defenders and midfielders set well in our own half. Unfortunately their quality was such that even going compact like we did couldn't stop them, and Bellingham in particular, from finding the necessary space.

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

we are a decent side, england are a top side and played us off the park. Bellingham is one of the best in the world inhis position.  We dont have players in that league

Pretty much that.

England is top 3 contender to win next summer. France big favourites but I'd rank England up there with Portugal as the next best. Spain seem to be coming into form aswell again but think England are stronger in key areas at this current time.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, just qualifying from the the group stages next summer will be a big success based on history.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The third goal was the most disappointing for me, we let their defence knock it about in our half for a couple of minutes. Why was that allowed to happen?

I thought their third goal was and excellent bit of football from them. Bellingham is a class player. He took three of our players out with that wee turn, with the ball seemingly stuck to his foot, then slotted a perfectly weighted pass to Kane who couldn't miss from that position. Sometimes you just can't stop these top class players unless you foul them. Which, with hindsight, somebody should have done. The only player who got close enough to do it was Christie.

I read somewhere it was all McGregor's fault though. 😉🤣

I think the 5-4-1 worked against us last night. 4-5-1 might have got us a bit closer in the midfield. Hendry and McKenna would probably have had sufficient pace as the centre half pairing. Lewis Ferguson could have added some aggression to the midfield. Alternatively if Robertson not dropped, then Tierney could have gone in midfield rather than Ferguson.

We couldn’t cope with Rashford, Bellingham. Foden and Kane. Not many teams would but they got on the ball too easily. 

15 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Hope we don't get them in the groups of the euros if we make it

This a million times. We've seen from the previous Euros and with the women's team: all the media attention goes on to the England games, as opposed to ourselves.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

This a million times. We've seen from the previous Euros and with the women's team: all the media attention goes on to the England games, as opposed to ourselves.

Bugged the tits off me at the Euros as England should have been the least important game but completely overshadowed the other two to our detriment.

I wouldn't really read into that result any more than the 90mins, which was a fair result.

Our objective from the break was complete, this was icing on the cake if we could do something. And we didn't play particularly well.

England had a point to prove after dropping points the other night. They have a squad of truly world class players and played well. They would have likely beaten every other side in the world outside of the top 10 by 2 clear goals playing like that.

Trust the process, trust in Clarke and the squad. God knows they've earned it.

Have never feared them . Though always know plenty do and always will. 
that was a painful watch . We didn’t turn up but I didn’t think we were out of it at half time. They certainly didn’t look world beaters. 
had to laugh at harry the Heid contribution and then Bellingham orchestrated the best bit of the game . 
unsuprisingley the most sensible line I’ve heard since the game came from Coach Clarke in saying sometimes you have to take your medicine. 
if we’d played well and taken a hammering I would be worried. As things stand I don’t think we will underperform the next time . Maybe in Germany next summer. 

1 hour ago, Shaundy said:

As things stand I don’t think we will underperform the next time . Maybe in Germany next summer. 

There is now a dossier buiding up of times we have underperformed - the majority being at Hampden