England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

England Football Men's Senior Team Squad | England Football

England announce their squad for the upcoming double header. Nketiah and Colwill called up for the first time and Maguire and Henderson included.

Given our squad which came out this week which looked strong, how far are we from the standard of the England team? I think the eventual starting 11 for them would of course look stronger on paper, but overall I'm not sure how much difference there is.

The 3 games following Cyprus will be a good test to see exactly where we are at.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southgate will probably use the chance of this game to make a load of changes to his team, so chance England might be better than we expect.

Will be a odd game though as think most fans will have one eye on their mobile phones for the score in Oslo.

If we play like we played v Spain then no. We should NEVER give ANY team "respect" on our home turf. Get stuck intae them and fight for every inch of grass.

In this game we really ARE playing for the jersey. 

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Southgate will probably use the chance of this game to make a load of changes to his team, so chance England might be better than we expect.

Will be a odd game though as think most fans will have one eye on their mobile phones for the score in Oslo.

Hopefully we'll be in a position where that is the case.  Anyone else starting to get a tad anxious about next week yet? 

18 minutes ago, todd said:

Hopefully we'll be in a position where that is the case.  Anyone else starting to get a tad anxious about next week yet? 

I'm counting down the days to the Cyprus game!  Can't wait!  The England is just a nice wee bonus to have to watch but I'll def have the Norway Georgia game on the phone lol (if we beat Cyprus obviously)

Edited by kwhitelaw

It's only a friendly so no, there's nothing to be fearful of. It's not like it'll have a huge effect on anything, win lose or draw.

Beating Cyprus is all I care about. I'm not really all that bothered as far as the England game goes. So long as we turn in a decent performance, anything over and above that is a bonus.

I think my big fear is we lose against England, Spain and France and lose all our momentum from the start of the campaign. Results could have already gone our way but the thought of going into Georgia away off the back of a 3 game losing run and needing something makes me very uncomfortable. For now let's just focus on beating Cyprus I guess

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

I think my big fear is we lose against England, Spain and France and lose all our momentum from the start of the campaign. Results could have already gone our way but the thought of going into Georgia away off the back of a 3 game losing run and needing something makes me very uncomfortable. For now let's just focus on beating Cyprus I guess

As long as we beat Cyprus we are unlikely to need anything in Georgia although the more points the better of course.

Failing to to win in Georgia would be more damaging to team morale than losing to England, France and Spain in my opinion. 

Lately, we have shown we can beat higher-ranked sides such as Serbia, Denmark, Ukraine and Spain and they were in meaningful matches. If we beat Cyprus and lose to France, England and Spain it will be a gauge to see what areas we need to improve in to compete with the very best sides. For what its worth I do not see that happening.

31 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I feel like the point has been missed. I would much rather win against Cyprus.

My question is if we are looking to the next level, which to me would be competing with pot 1 UEFA teams consistently, how far away is our squad from that of England's in terms of quality? 

We'll find that out in our next Nations League campaign 

9 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Completely and utterly agree - Cyprus is the bigger game by miles.  

Cyprus is the bigger game and right now I am not really bothered or looking forward to this game but most people will care about Scotland v England when the game comes round

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I feel like the point has been missed. I would much rather win against Cyprus.

My question is if we are looking to the next level, which to me would be competing with pot 1 UEFA teams consistently, how far away is our squad from that of England's in terms of quality? 

I think position for position we are only maybe better at left back.

However Scotland are playing much more like a proper fluid team unit in recent times which is something that England arent. England rely much more on their vast quantities of superstar individuals.

Where we have closed the gap to top tier sides is that whilst we are slightly weaker in some areas, we no longer have huge drop offs. Ie we arent the strongest in goals or up front but Gunn and Adams are still good players. Where we have also come on leaps and bounds is squad depth. There isnt a position where we would be significantly weakened with the loss of 1 played. All of our squad players could do a job now. In the past that simply wasnt the case.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think position for position we are only maybe better at left back.

However Scotland are playing much more like a proper fluid team unit in recent times which is something that England arent. England rely much more on their vast quantities of superstar individuals.

Where we have closed the gap to top tier sides is that whilst we are slightly weaker in some areas, we no longer have huge drop offs. Ie we arent the strongest in goals or up front but Gunn and Adams are still good players. Where we have also come on leaps and bounds is squad depth. There isnt a position where we would be significantly weakened with the loss of 1 played. All of our squad players could do a job now. In the past that simply wasnt the case.

Very good points. If we look back to circa 2007, we had a really good core of 13 or 14 players. But just a couple of injuries or suspensions was disastrous. A quick google check shows that Hutton, McCulloch, Brown and Hartley were all missing for that fateful night in Georgia. Resulting in us playing Murty and Pearson, with a threadbare bench. If we'd had the depth we do now back then, who knows what might have been.

Nowadays, we have loads of talent that can't even get in the squad.

1 hour ago, scottincarlisle said:

The point is that there's plenty of Scottish & English fans that don't care about a meaningless friendly against each other. 

I care about us beating Cyprus & Georgia.

Well.Enough people care about it for it to sell out pretty quickly.I care about beating everybody we play.