Porteous - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Porteous

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was also impressed with his discipline last night, there were a couple of occasions later on in the game where his man got goalside of him. The old Porteous would’ve clumsily halved the guy and given away a penalty. Last night he just let the man go and trusted his fellow defenders to deal with it which they did.
He was always a decent player but I think he’s vastly improved recently. 

Watching him at Hibs, I wouldn’t have considered him anywhere near to being an international player, but he’s put himself into contention with his performances so far for Scotland. Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Watford over the next year or two. It’s a start for now, nothing more.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Love him. Proper centre half. Porto, Hendry, Souttar, McKenna & Tierney would be 5 very good CBs for a 2024 Euros squad… 👀 

Andy Roxburgh would have played all five of them. Most of them in midfield. 😂

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Must be some kind of record.

(I know I love researching these things but I'll pass on that! 😀 )

I know one player who did the same relatively recently. Not nearly as important games as his first three caps were all friendlies. This guy had 7 clean sheets in his 11 caps.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Was also impressed with his discipline last night, there were a couple of occasions later on in the game where his man got goalside of him. The old Porteous would’ve clumsily halved the guy and given away a penalty. Last night he just let the man go and trusted his fellow defenders to deal with it which they did.
He was always a decent player but I think he’s vastly improved recently. 

Agree 100%

Would be good for him to develop into a proper epl quality centre back. Maybe a full season with watford and then move up to the epl either by transfer or promotion. He might get promotion with watford this season but either way he will benefit from being out of scotland imo.

I admit, I have not seen him play much but I had heard he had a repudiation as a hot head. This is perhaps the Steven Gerrard comment made above, however what I observed last night was him making peace with other players after they were clearly rattled.  I thought his candor was very sporting. 

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I admit, I have not seen him play much but I had heard he had a repudiation as a hot head. This is perhaps the Steven Gerrard comment made above, however what I observed last night was him making peace with other players after they were clearly rattled.  I thought his candor was very sporting. 

Sportscene had Porteous corner every Saturday where the gang weighed in to support Gerrards claims, we all know how it works up here

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He spoke highly of Rodri in the interview, when most of us would have told him to go fuck himself🤣 maybe Porteous sees a future at Man City....

I actually think that that was a very deliberate and clever move by Porteous. As in “you’re no gonnae provoke me ya classless fanny”. 

Edited by Marky

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I know one player who did the same relatively recently. Not nearly as important games as his first three caps were all friendlies. This guy had 7 clean sheets in his 11 caps.

Have to admit I'm struggling 🤔

Porteous was immense last night.

He is a master shithouser and was in his element last night when Spain started their antics!

Singing the national anthem at a corner was a master stroke! 😄😄😄