Porteous - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Porteous

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I've not seen him play for Watford this year, only Scotland. How is he performing for them? Does he have a chance of moving up to EPL level?

Haven't seen him play since Wilder took over and they moved to a 3, but I watched him about 3 times playing in a back 4 and he looked very solid

I wasn't Porteous's biggest fan when he was at Hibs, I thought he was a bit too rash and impulsive.  However if he ca continue the form he's shown recently for Scotland I'd say that if Harry Souttar can make the step up to EPL level then there's no reason Porteous can't either.

Stating the obvious but having a good solid EPL mainstay central defender is something we are missing. Not necessarily a world beater, just a solid EPL level player like I don't know, Mason Holgate or something. Someone who will play a couple of hundred games at that level over their career rather than short sporadic bursts in a team that is ultimately relegated.

5 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

Were there teams from abroad looking to sign him? I can’t imagine there would be any offers from clubs who could come close to the wages that Watford are paying him.

I heard there as interest from Italy too. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

I didn't have a particular opinion on him before, but from the radio commentary it seems he was immense and maybe the standout player on an evening of great performances

He's been gettin really good ratings on whoscored in the championship but he was rated the lowest of our defenders/midfielders aagainst Spain, but not a lot of people like stats.

According to the site he attempted 3 tackles with 0% success so I assume that explains his dribbled past 3 times stat.

He won no headers made no interceptions and had the worst pass success rate out of our defenders and midfield.

His only decent stat was his 6 clearances which was bettered only by Grant Hanley.

Having said all that I thought he did OK.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's been gettin really good ratings on whoscored in the championship but he was rated the lowest of our defenders/midfielders aagainst Spain, but not a lot of people like stats.

According to the site he attempted 3 tackles with 0% success so I assume that explains his dribbled past 3 times stat.

He won no headers made no interceptions and had the worst pass success rate out of our defenders and midfield.

His only decent stat was his 6 clearances which was bettered only by Grant Hanley.

Having said all that I thought he did OK.

I think most folk do like stats but don’t necessarily think they’re the be all and end all  

It’s normally pretty easy to tell if someone has played well or not when you’re at a game and sometimes stats can be misleading. 

I think all of our defenders played well against Spain. They had to. 

He's proving a lot of people wrong - fair play to him. 

I'd still like to see him cut out some of the nonsense though, like the time he looked at the ref to make sure he was getting a free kick whilst rolling around like his leg needed amputating. 

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

They could be shot-, goal- or game-saving clearances, which if so, could explain why he seemed a rock, which could be why it came across like that on the radio. They don't always mention misplaced passes or tackles live on air, so we wouldn't necessarily hear so much about those.