Europe 2022/23 - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and i'll say it again but in the last couple of years their team is well designed for European ties

I also thought they were due a gubbing but with the results they have had there was no way i was betting on it

10 minutes ago, Debian said:

It really is.  Helps the coefficients and continues getting 3rd place European Group Stage football.  

#BiggerPicture

Increasing the gap and decreasing the chances of domestic success for clubs outside the old firm isn't good for Scottish football. Rangers and celtic benefit massively but that's it.

Edited by vanderark14

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Increasing the gap and decreasing the chances of domestic success for clubs outside the old firm isn't good for Scottish football. Rangers and celtic benefit massively but that's it.

ha ha ha…. Honestly…. I can’t believe you think that rangers and Celtic doing worse is good for scottish football. It’s about the rest doing better to stay in touch.  As you know, I support hearts but I’m delighted for both rangers and Celtic (but especially rangers). 

actually, I can.  It’s like the commie view of not liking millionaires making lots of cash as the general population don’t.

laughable.

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

What a bizarre thought.  If you don't think the team getting 3rd and into Europe, with an opportunity for more clubs to have the same is a good thing, then you're a pie.  

Edited by Debian

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

ha ha ha…. Honestly…. I can’t believe you think that rangers and Celtic doing worse is good for scottish football. It’s about the rest doing better to stay in touch.  As you know, I support hearts but I’m delighted for both rangers and Celtic (but especially rangers). 

actually, I can.  It’s like the commie view of not liking millionaires making lots of cash as the general population don’t.

laughable.

What's laughable is your ignorance. 

It's been proven that a weaker celtic and rangers is great for the domestic game

When rangers were toiling in the lower divisions celtic were getting shit crowds because their rivals were down. 7 different clubs won a trophy out of a possible 15 trophies, those clubs and their fans had days they will never forget. When rangers return, celtic upped their game and the chances of other clubs winning reduced dramatically, we find ourselves back in the days when a cup win was a dream and celtic and rangers are even further out of sight by Christmas. 

Fuck knows what the commie comment is, it doesn't even make sense. 

6 minutes ago, Debian said:

What a bizarre thought.  If you don't think the team getting 3rd and into Europe, with an opportunity for more clubs to have the same, then you're a pie.  

See above. I am sure the team finishing 3rd will enjoy  glamour tie or two in the EL, I remember Aberdeens journey against atletico Madrid then beating fc Copenhagen and then being knocked out by bayern Munich but it was a one off, a trophy was still miles away.

The money rangers will rake in now dwarfs even winning the EL. They will pull ahead and strangle competition in Scotland more so than ever

Enjoy your win tonight but please don't tell others it's good for scottish football when it's only good for the OF and increasing their total domination in Scotland 

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Theres an argument that the gap between the Old Firm and the rest is already beyond massive and extra millions isnt likely to make it any bigger in the sence that the types of players the Old Firm can attract has a ceiling that isnt determined by money. Ie neither could get a 20 million pound player to sign for them even if they could afford it.

If the above is true then having a 3rd place team creating and extending the gap to the rest could be a good thing. Ie if Hearts got Euro group stage football 3 or 4 years in a row and could then cement that position then they would be able to consistenly beat the rest and in terms of league points close the gap to the old firm even if on a head to head the gap to Hearts actually got bigger.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Theres an argument that the gap between the Old Firm and the rest is already beyond massive and extra millions isnt likely to make it any bigger in the sence that the types of players the Old Firm can attract has a ceiling that isnt determined by money. Ie neither could get a 20 million pound player to sign for them even if they could afford it.

If the above is true then having a 3rd place team creating and extending the gap to the rest could be a good thing. Ie if Hearts got Euro group stage football 3 or 4 years in a row and could then cement that position then they would be able to consistenly beat the rest and in terms of league points close the gap to the old firm even if on a head to head the gap to Hearts actually got bigger.

I agree that hearts could increase the gap on the others if by a small miracle hearts snatched group football for 3 to 4 years in a row but I disagree they could close the gap on the Old firm. What the OF make in the CL will dwarf what Hearts make in the EL. If Hearts bet close to the OF their team would be plundered in the next available transfer window

I'd also argue that the chances of young Scottish talent getting a game for Rangers and celtic just got slimmer tonight 

Actually the pretend hearts fan has kind of made a point but without knowing he has. If anything football should follow a commie type model where the wealth is distributed more evenly that way at least it could be classed as a fair sport because its sure as shit isn't a fair sport right now

42 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Actually the pretend hearts fan has kind of made a point but without knowing he has. If anything football should follow a commie type model where the wealth is distributed more evenly that way at least it could be classed as a fair sport because its sure as shit isn't a fair sport right now

If UEFA were serious about developing football then the bulk of the Champions League cash should go to domestic leagues to share amongst the clubs.

As it is even with the £40m each the Old Firm will only have the pulling power of lower EPL sides, however the rest of the Scottish Premiership are valued at English League 1 and 2 levels.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree that hearts could increase the gap on the others if by a small miracle hearts snatched group football for 3 to 4 years in a row but I disagree they could close the gap on the Old firm. What the OF make in the CL will dwarf what Hearts make in the EL. If Hearts bet close to the OF their team would be plundered in the next available transfer window

I'd also argue that the chances of young Scottish talent getting a game for Rangers and celtic just got slimmer tonight 

I dont think Hearts (or any repetitve 3rd place team) would close the gap to the Old Firm in terms of head to head. My point being that say Hearts currently get beat 2 nil everytime they play the Old Firm. With both OF clubs getting Champs League football that might go to 3 or 4 nil over next few years so on one hand the gap widens.

On the other though Hearts reguarly drop points to non OF teams and therefore the gap in the league table is large. However with 4 years of consecutive group stage money Hearts could reduce the number of times they drop points to Non OF teams so in turn reduce the points gap to the OF even if in the head to head games they get beat by more goals.

Effectively having a top 2 then clrar 3rd rather than just having a top 2 like we have had for 30 years.

6 hours ago, dj mick said:

Getting onto tonights game, All, and i mean all of my available funds have went on Psv

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

2-1 to PSV is my prediction. And a red card.

4 hours ago, Redz said:

Any links so we can (hopefully) watch these odious kents get pumped ? 

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Ot works for me, but sometimes it can be hit and miss.. Best of luck mate. You could try the comedy channel anaw...😉

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

Think Rangers will get Dundee Uniteded tonight.

Great content lads, keep up the good work! 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont think Hearts (or any repetitve 3rd place team) would close the gap to the Old Firm in terms of head to head. My point being that say Hearts currently get beat 2 nil everytime they play the Old Firm. With both OF clubs getting Champs League football that might go to 3 or 4 nil over next few years so on one hand the gap widens.

On the other though Hearts reguarly drop points to non OF teams and therefore the gap in the league table is large. However with 4 years of consecutive group stage money Hearts could reduce the number of times they drop points to Non OF teams so in turn reduce the points gap to the OF even if in the head to head games they get beat by more goals.

Effectively having a top 2 then clrar 3rd rather than just having a top 2 like we have had for 30 years.

That's a fair point however maintaining 3rd won't be an easy task