Europe 2022/23 - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, slasher said:

Fairly typical diddy club failure and entirely predictable at half time

Fairly typical comment that has most hoping the diddy Scottish league champions, and their ibrox pals, get an absolute skelping in whatever game they turn up for  

26 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Cheating cunt. Got what he deserved and every hearts player should be booting him in the balls right now. 

Good bit of refereeing. Grant should have stayed on his feet, let his team down badly after such a good effort in the first half.

59 minutes ago, slasher said:

Fairly typical diddy club failure and entirely predictable at half time

Think I remember a diddy club getting pumped out of European competitions 3 times in one season recently, that takes some doing 👍

22 minutes ago, Redz said:

Fairly typical comment that has most hoping the diddy Scottish league champions, and their ibrox pals, get an absolute skelping in whatever game they turn up for  

Pot/kettle. You’re sitting watching the jambos in Europe and your first comment is going on about how Celtic/Rangers are refereed domestically. 🤣

5 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Think I remember a diddy club getting pumped out of European competitions 3 times in one season recently, that takes some doing 👍

Having finished where they did last season definitely qualifies Aberdeen as diddy material. 😀

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

Pot/kettle. You’re sitting watching the jambos in Europe and your first comment is going on about how Celtic/Rangers are refereed domestically. 🤣

Having finished where they did last season definitely qualifies Aberdeen as diddy material. 😀

Can’t disagree with that, we were shite & got what we deserved, we’re a diddy team in a diddy league run by the biggest diddy’s in football👍

26 minutes ago, slasher said:

Rubbish

I quoted and commented on a post from a condescending Tim 👍

5 hours ago, Redz said:

Only in Scotland do you, if you're Tim's or Huns, get away with that level of cheating

That’s what you posted before I mentioned anything about diddy clubs.

Honestly, you’d blame everything from the war in Ukraine to the bad storylines on fuckin Emmerdale on Celtic/Rangers! 😂

3 hours ago, slasher said:

That’s what you posted before I mentioned anything about diddy clubs.

Honestly, you’d blame everything from the war in Ukraine to the bad storylines on fuckin Emmerdale on Celtic/Rangers! 😂

Emmerdale by far the most watchable soap. A low bar, but the best of a poor television genre.

12 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, RANGERS

Real Madrid, Leipzig, Shakthar, CELTIC

Decebt draw for both team. One of the weaker top seeds for Rangers and a glamour Battle of Britain with Liverpool. Celtic get the biggest glamour tie of the all and must fancy their chances of getting out of that group. 

Looking at the draw, there's potential here for both teams.

For Celtic:

• Shakhtar are significantly weaker than they were last season, in which they were the weakest they've been since the mid-2000s, due to basically every foreign player leaving due to the conflict in Ukraine; still not an easy game mind, but are almost certainly the weakest side from Pot 3.
  • Leipzig were obviously knocked out the Europa League by Rangers last season and have started slowly in the Bundesliga, but are now an established side in the Champions League and started slowly last season. There's a decent chance Celtic could get points off of Leipzig, especially at home.
  • Real Madrid will be expected to win both matches against Celtic, but were lucky not to be knocked out of the competition at basically every stage last term. I'd say they're probably slightly weaker than last season though and wouldn't rule out Celtic getting a point at home.
  • Verdict: A third place finish is realistic, but second is possible. They'll need better performances than they've had in Europe for much of the past decade though.

For Rangers:

• Napoli seem comparable to many of the sides Rangers beaten (or avoided defeat against) in the Europa League in recent seasons. If Rangers are going to be in Europe beyond Christmas this season, they'll need to take points off of them.
  • Liverpool are probably the strongest team in the group and were unlucky not to be going into this season as European champions. Their slow start in the league is perhaps evidence of fatigue from the their intense style of play, which has been worsened by their large amount of first team injuries. If Liverpool are in a similar situation in regards to limited first team options by the time they play Rangers, there could be points to grab. A clear step up on the Europa League opponents Rangers have faced.
  • Ajax arguably should've gone further than the last sixteen last season with the ease they progressed through their group. Not entirely sure what Ajax have done in the transfer market (both in and out) as a whole, as they're one of the sides who's relative strength can fluctuate very quickly - I think they're on the downswing right now compared to their recent peak. Ajax could drop points against Rangers.
  • Verdict: Anything other than fourth is a bonus, but performances like in recent European campaigns could yield a decent points tally and an outside chance of progressing.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I never saw the 2nd half but Hearts should have been ahead on aggregate by half time. It must have been some implosion for Hearts to end up losing

Aye they fair hibsed it 🥴

Hearts get Istanbul Basaksehir, Fiorentina and RFS (Latvia) in the Conference League.

My first impressions is Fiorentina to win that group, there's potential to get something against Basaksehir and RFS are a team Hearts should be getting four points minimum from.

An interesting range of opponents for Hearts.

17 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Will there be English fans booing Scottish fans for singing the English anthem?? 🙂

😂

It will really fuck with their pea brains if that happens, more so if you point out that Liverpool are the nominal "proddy" team in the city! 🤭

It's a stinker of a group for Rangers; you can't see any other outcome than them being thrown around like an empty tracksuit.  

Celtic, on the other hand, I reckon have an outside chance of finishing in the top two, if "big Ange" can devise a way of playing that's a bit smarter than aiming to  rack up cricket scores, because that approach won't work at that level (not against the opposition they're going to be facing).

I wonder if Rangers and Celtic will demand two sides of Anfield and the Bernabeu like they usually do for away fixtures. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Hearts get Istanbul Basaksehir, Fiorentina and RFS (Latvia) in the Conference League.

My first impressions is Fiorentina to win that group, there's potential to get something against Basaksehir and RFS are a team Hearts should be getting four points minimum from.

An interesting range of opponents for Hearts.

Not a bad group.  RFS are the team that put Linfield out, aren't they?

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Yeah - I haven't seen any of that tie, but from the BBC match report it seems Linfield battered them last night. You'd hope that implies Hearts should be able to beat them twice; on paper, at least, there were much tougher opponents from Pot 4.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Yeah - I haven't seen any of that tie, but from the BBC match report it seems Linfield battered them last night. You'd hope that implies Hearts should be able to beat them twice; on paper, at least, there were much tougher opponents from Pot 4.

How not to see out the 120th minute! 😖

Looking at the draw Zurich got I think Hearts are better off in the Conference League!

• 2 weeks later...

Fair play to Celtic, they're really having a go at Real.  Much better than the meek approach they adopted the last time they were in the Champions League.

I get the feeling they might regret that effort from McGregor not going in but if they can earn a point it will be a brilliant result and a great start to their campaign.