Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Unlike us due to Geography they're pretty much guaranteed to qualify, that helps.

True - if we played in the Asian qualifiers, we'd probably qualify more times than not. It's really four/five from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Iran, with sides like Qatar, the UAE, and China potentially being able to challenge.

I think only Japan and South Korea would have a serious chance of qualifying via the European qualifiers atm.

Mexico are the Scotland of Latin America

Would seem that right from the start they thought beating Saudi Arabia in the last game and not losing to Poland would do them

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

True - if we played in the Asian qualifiers, we'd probably qualify more times than not. It's really four/five from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Iran, with sides like Qatar, the UAE, and China potentially being able to challenge.

I think only Japan and South Korea would have a serious chance of qualifying via the European qualifiers atm.

Although this time they needed to negotiate the final Asian playoff (v UAE), followed by the inter continental playoff (v Peru, won via shootout) to qualify.

3 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

To answer my own question a quick google search indicates that at least 1 Scots born player played for USA in the 1930 World Cup and they reached the semis. I wonder if anyone since then? Certainly can’t think of any since the 60s 

Jimmy Brown from Kilmarnock, still the only Scotsman to score in a World Cup semi final...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brown_(soccer,_born_1908)

We also had a Leckie and a McAllister scoring on the first World Cup St Andrew's day 🙂

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Even at the Euros they haven't beaten many top sides: the Dutch in 1996 was probably their best win, with two wins over relatively poor German sides in 2000 and 2021 being the next two.

And two of those three victories came at Wembley.

The Dutch team they beat in 1996 were a side very much in transition too (the needed to qualify via a play-off and they couldn't beat us in the opening group game). 

The english media are on it again 🤣 According the BBC and talksport pundits, the Argies are a one man team an England have more dept in their team becasue of the way they dismantled Wales and Iran. Where was this depth again the USA?

The annoying thing is it was two scotsmen hosting on talksport and none of them question the pundits and journalist

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The english media are on it again 🤣 According the BBC and talksport pundits, the Argies are a one man team an England have more dept in their team becasue of the way they dismantled Wales and Iran. Where was this depth again the USA?

The annoying thing is it was two scotsmen hosting on talksport and none of them question the pundits and journalist

Let them have their moment. I am very confident their faces will soon be tripping them and they'll be looking for scapegoats.

14 hours ago, scotlad said:

The Dutch team they beat in 1996 were a side very much in transition too (the needed to qualify via a play-off and they couldn't beat us in the opening group game). 

There was also major unrest in the Dutch camp with half of them fighting the other half.

20 hours ago, daviebee said:

That was a weird game.  It looked to me like Denmark didn't give a flying rat's arse.  No urgency, no determination, nothing.  Body language all wrong.  I'd be fkin raging if I was a Danish fan who'd spent good money going to watch that.

Aye, it looked like they had absolutely no interest in trying to win that game. It was so blatant that I suspect broon envelopes might have changed hands.

20 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

To answer my own question a quick google search indicates that at least 1 Scots born player played for USA in the 1930 World Cup and they reached the semis. I wonder if anyone since then? Certainly can’t think of any since the 60s 

Andy Auld, think he was from Stevenston/Saltcoats. He played for Ardeer Thistle before going to America. 

22 hours ago, daviebee said:

That was a weird game.  It looked to me like Denmark didn't give a flying rat's arse.  No urgency, no determination, nothing.  Body language all wrong.  I'd be fkin raging if I was a Danish fan who'd spent good money going to watch that.

Been mentioned on a few podcasts I listen to that they really didn’t want to be there, polls in Denmark of football fans and non football fans alike thought they should have made a statement and not gone. Took their lowest number of travelling fans ever for a tournament 

Had a £1 double on the demond for both games tonight - 18/1 and 22/1

After 72 minutes it was 2-1 in both games and i was offered £80 to cash out and i did

However i was touching cloth until Germany got their 3rd

On 11/30/2022 at 4:05 PM, scotlad said:

Days before var ; where john collins played as an extra goalie….