Scottish cup 2023/24 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup 2023/24

Scottish Cup Fourth Round[/b]
Ayr United    v    Kelty Hearts
Kilmarnock    v    Dundee
Greenock Morton    v    Montrose
Inverness Caledonian Thistle    v    Broomhill
St Mirren    v    Queen of the South
Brora Rangers    v    Cove Rangers
Clyde    v    Aberdeen
The Spartans    v    Heart of Midlothian
Bonnyrigg Rose    v    Falkirk
Livingston    v    Raith Rovers
Motherwell    v    Alloa Athletic
Ross County    v    Partick Thistle
Celtic    v    Buckie Thistle
Forfar Athletic    v    Hibernian
Airdrieonians    v    St Johnstone
Dumbarton    v    Rangers

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Scottish Cup Fourth Round[/b]
Ayr United    v    Kelty Hearts
Kilmarnock    v    Dundee
Greenock Morton    v    Montrose
Inverness Caledonian Thistle    v    Broomhill
St Mirren    v    Queen of the South
Brora Rangers    v    Cove Rangers
Clyde    v    Aberdeen
The Spartans    v    Heart of Midlothian
Bonnyrigg Rose    v    Falkirk
Livingston    v    Raith Rovers
Motherwell    v    Alloa Athletic
Ross County    v    Partick Thistle
Celtic    v    Buckie Thistle
Forfar Athletic    v    Hibernian
Airdrieonians    v    St Johnstone
Dumbarton    v    Rangers

Famous last words but I fancy Airdrie to beat St Johnstone at home. We will be able to knock the ball about on our pitch. Get your money on the diamonds.

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Famous last words but I fancy Airdrie to beat St Johnstone at home. We will be able to knock the ball about on our pitch. Get your money on the diamonds.

For once this round has thrown up some good ties, not competitive ties but good ties IMO

Buckie playing at celtic is will be an incredible experience for Buckie

Airdrie is a banana skin for St Johnstone. 

Dumbarton will get big pay day and will dream of an upset. 

Clyde bottom of league 2 get aberdeen at home so they'll get a reasonable pay day and will dream of doing a Darvel.

Brora will fancy giving  Cove a game 

Hopefully our new manager (Ian McColl) gets rid of some of the shite players that Jim Duffy signed (and re-signed after we got relegated 😄) come the January window,  and also we have apparently a money man waiting in the sidelines to help the club out, so I would like to think we will have some better players come the Aberdeen cup tie (both clubs will sell out their allotted allocations. . . . . . . . . . 

Brings back memories of the only Clyde v Aberdeen game I have attended, pretty sure it was an early league cup or Scottish cup tie (1983/1984 IIRC), we gave a good enough showing that day against an all conquering Aberdeen side that where probably the best team in the country at the time.

Also the first time I encountered smarty well dressed lads looking for a scrap with the Clyde fans 😄

1 hour ago, glasgow jock said:

Hopefully our new manager (Ian McColl) gets rid of some of the shite players that Jim Duffy signed (and re-signed after we got relegated 😄) come the January window,  and also we have apparently a money man waiting in the sidelines to help the club out, so I would like to think we will have some better players come the Aberdeen cup tie (both clubs will sell out their allotted allocations. . . . . . . . . . 

Brings back memories of the only Clyde v Aberdeen game I have attended, pretty sure it was an early league cup or Scottish cup tie (1983/1984 IIRC), we gave a good enough showing that day against an all conquering Aberdeen side that where probably the best team in the country at the time.

Also the first time I encountered smarty well dressed lads looking for a scrap with the Clyde fans 😄

I was at a Clyde v Aberdeen game around that time although I could have sworn it was a pre season friendly so maybe no the same one. I can remember the casuals making a grand entrance just after the game kicked off looking as though they were just off the golf course 😂

Anyway the most notable thing I remember other than that was a remarkable incident at half time. As the players were heading into the tunnel a Clyde fan spat his chewing gum out and whether intentionally or not he hit the big Aberdeen centre half who proceeded to go absolutely tonto. He tried to pull the young guy over the wall to punch fuck out of him. It took 3 or 4 other players to pull him off but not before he’d landed a few belters! The young Clyde fan was then spirited away whilst everyone else tried to calm things down. It’s one of the maddest things I’ve ever seen at the football and yet I can remember scanning the papers the next day and there was no mention of it, all hushed up it seems. I’m sure the player in question was Willie Garner and the big mad bastard ended up at Celtic for a season or so but I don’t remember him playing much. I don’t remember anything about the game at all but Shawfield was some laugh back in the day 😂

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I was at a Clyde v Aberdeen game around that time although I could have sworn it was a pre season friendly so maybe no the same one. I can remember the casuals making a grand entrance just after the game kicked off looking as though they were just off the golf course 😂

Anyway the most notable thing I remember other than that was a remarkable incident at half time. As the players were heading into the tunnel a Clyde fan spat his chewing gum out and whether intentionally or not he hit the big Aberdeen centre half who proceeded to go absolutely tonto. He tried to pull the young guy over the wall to punch fuck out of him. It took 3 or 4 other players to pull him off but not before he’d landed a few belters! The young Clyde fan was then spirited away whilst everyone else tried to calm things down. It’s one of the maddest things I’ve ever seen at the football and yet I can remember scanning the papers the next day and there was no mention of it, all hushed up it seems. I’m sure the player in question was Willie Garner and the big mad bastard ended up at Celtic for a season or so but I don’t remember him playing much. I don’t remember anything about the game at all but Shawfield was some laugh back in the day 😂

Probably the same game Slasher, I can remember the entrance by the "casuals" it was certainly a first for me watching the football, I think they thought they would turn up at this smallish Glasgow club and take a few liberties. . . . . . . they didn't take into account that some of the Clyde terracing boys came from the rather posh quiet areas of Bridgeton / Castlemilk & Rutherglen 😄

Aberdeen where some team back in those days and I also look forward to the day (hopefully very soon) that we return to Glasgow.

54 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Probably the same game Slasher, I can remember the entrance by the "casuals" it was certainly a first for me watching the football, I think they thought they would turn up at this smallish Glasgow club and take a few liberties. . . . . . . they didn't take into account that some of the Clyde terracing boys came from the rather posh quiet areas of Bridgeton / Castlemilk & Rutherglen 😄

Aberdeen where some team back in those days and I also look forward to the day (hopefully very soon) that we return to Glasgow.

What’s happening with the new stadium? I’ll need to try and get over for a game while they’re at Hamilton. 👍

Just now, Toepoke said:

Fair point. Wonder what the dough will be like?

I'm guessing Buckie will be on TV too which in my opinion will take away from the experience for the Buckie players. There will likely be less fans at the game 

21 hours ago, slasher said:

What’s happening with the new stadium? I’ll need to try and get over for a game while they’re at Hamilton. 👍

Early autumn was the indicative timeframe since the bid was finalised in June, However, as the GCC working group which is preparing a recommendation for Councillors asked Clyde for points of clarity in the middle of September, a decision in October became unlikely.  as i understand it Clyde have not, at present, been advised of a new timeframe.

Clyde are looking to have the legal transfer by end of 2024, also our lease on NDP ends 2025. 

27 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Early autumn was the indicative timeframe since the bid was finalised in June, However, as the GCC working group which is preparing a recommendation for Councillors asked Clyde for points of clarity in the middle of September, a decision in October became unlikely.  as i understand it Clyde have not, at present, been advised of a new timeframe.

Clyde are looking to have the legal transfer by end of 2024, also our lease on NDP ends 2025. 

Good stuff, sounds promising 👍

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to the Clyde v Aberdeen game tonight, big noisy crowd and also some Aberdeen fans 😄 our form has certainly improved since Ian McCall took charge and certainly don't expect us to be bottom of the pile come May.

Aberdeen should win quite comfortably, can't see them having a repeat of the Darvel game.

This is a free hit for us tonight, league games & our survival way more important

image.png.021b3fe207a76995d4f5adb74ccd80e2.png

an old picture of our last Scottish cup fixture (1984 IIRC) check the crowd packed inside Shawfield, im in there somewhere a young 18 year old  - that Aberdeen time where a bit tasty (think that was Jim Leighton in goals for Aberdeen)

Spartans v Hertz is a great tie for the home club, I’d imagine the game itself will be a formality for the premier club but it has generated plenty interest in the capital and Hertz could have easily sold their allocation a couple of time over. Kudos to Spartans for not switching the game to Easter Road and for that reason alone it would be great if they could manage a draw and the financial benefits a replay at tyniecastle would bring them. Got a bit of a soft spot for Spartans with them being a real community club in a pretty deprived part of Edinburgh, they also have the coolest club badge in Scotland