Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 41 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

It's called rivalry, maybe sometimes people can take it too far (me included) but how else do you expect people to react when the only real way we can watch these competitions is through England's coverage?! clap, say "jolly good" and wish the cnts the best of british? fk that! All we get is England this and England that, they're our historical and sporting rivals, it naturally grates and you naturally want them to get pumped, and they invariably do and it's funny as fk. They're self righteous arrogant cnts and I will never lose the delight I get from seeing them fail.

Maybe if we had our own TV coverage then we'd be a little less reactive... maybe..    

Completely agree with this. One less important part to being part of the unequal union is the coverage of sport, its wall to wall England during tournaments, even the England qualifiers are screened on terrestrial TV in Scotland yet scotland fans have to pay a subscription to watch our own matches.

Even during the final they had a section about England.🤣

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Completely agree with this. One less important part to being part of the unequal union is the coverage of sport, its wall to wall England during tournaments, even the England qualifiers are screened on terrestrial TV in Scotland yet scotland fans have to pay a subscription to watch our own matches.

Even during the final they had a section about England.🤣

wouldnt this be similar to OF treatment compared to the rest of the also rans in Scotland ?

not just TV, but SFA, press etc etc ; where bulk of your audience are only concerned in their interests

if you agree with any of the above , do you think would change in any in independence ; aside from more gaelic channel matches , womens football etc

42 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

if you agree with any of the above , do you think would change in any in independence ; aside from more gaelic channel matches , womens football etc

We would have a truly Scottish media rather than one that's owned and run from London - so yes

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

We would have a truly Scottish media rather than one that's owned and run from London - so yes

Isn’t the national owned by some American mass media company?

Even if we get independence, the media will still be ran from overseas probably, least the bigger ones 

18 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Isn’t the national owned by some American mass media company?

Even if we get independence, the media will still be ran from overseas probably, least the bigger ones 

There will be a revamp of the media in Scotland to one that suits the needs of Scotland - there has to be.

Ireland is an example of how not to do it

But yes - Newsquest based in London is a subsidiary of American company Gannett and own The Herald, Sunday Herald, Evening Times and The National - and why i dont buy or trust The National

National World based in London owns The Scotsman

Reach PLC based in London owns The Daily Record and Sunday Mail

The Sunday Post is owned by D C Thomson of Dundee - the irony being it's output is mainly Conservative Presbyterian Unionism of the 50s

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Absolutely, and I'd like to hope we'd also get a huge amount of cultural levelling along with it too. The big fkin sectarian elephant in the room ain't getting touched till we remove the british state from our political system and become a NORMAL nation. 

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Sunday Post is owned by D C Thomson of Dundee - the irony being it's output is mainly Conservative Presbyterian Unionism of the 50s

It's only since 2014 that  it dawned on me that there might be a religious divide--at least historically--between Pro-Union and Pro-Independence supporters.  As less and less folk go to Church/Sunday School and so on,  I wonder how significant this divide is today? (And whether this division will exist at all in a few years time?)

Would make an interesting subject for a sociology/anthropology/history thesis?

And yes, I can think of a few mainstream Scottish journalists who sound like time travellers from the 1950s.

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

It's only since 2014 that  it dawned on me that there might be a religious divide--at least historically--between Pro-Union and Pro-Independence supporters.  As less and less folk go to Church/Sunday School and so on,  I wonder how significant this divide is today? (And whether this division will exist at all in a few years time?)

Would make an interesting subject for a sociology/anthropology/history thesis?

And yes, I can think of a few mainstream Scottish journalists who sound like time travellers from the 1950s.

Totally wrong thread for this discussion but anyway to keep it going 😄

Historically it was more a Tory* / Labour split between Presbyterians and RCs.

*Scottish Unionist to be more exact (that's was the union with Ireland they were talking about btw, back then you'd be carted off to the funny farm for considering Scottish independence).

17 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Totally wrong thread for this discussion but anyway to keep it going 😄

Oops, Sorry, you're right (was thinking aloud).
But thanks for the historical context Toepoke. Dead interesting and worth a thread to itself at some point!

Back to the football 😀