Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

We give Ukraine a bye to the final which can hopefully be played before November 2022, e.g them v Wales/Austria.

And we play Poland with the winners taking on Czech Rep or Sweden.

Doubt anything along those lines will happen but I really like that idea. Assuming things don't improve ourselves and Poland stand to benefit, if anyone should it's Ukraine. A bye and a chance to qualify means little in the current situation. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

We give Ukraine a bye to the final which can hopefully be played before November 2022, e.g them v Wales/Austria.

Apologies as disregarded your solution. Hmm perhaps workable but it is not the sort of work around I see UEFA taking on. Jeez knowing them it is more likely they'd allow Poland to pull out and allow Russia a bye through rather than ban them from the tournament.

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Aw fuck off, it's not our fault what's happening, why do people insist that we have to be the righteous ones and bend over and take it up the shitter

9 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Looks like Poland are refusing to play Russia in play off

Great stuff if FIFA had any balls about them kick them out make life as uncomfortable for Russia - there has to be cnsequences for what that madman has done 

I know its a very trivial example but i see Russia not allowed in the Eurovision why not kick their national and domestic teams out of FIFA and UEFA events 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Great stuff if FIFA had any balls about them kick them out make life as uncomfortable for Russia - there has to be cnsequences for what that madman has done 

I know its a very trivial example but i see Russia not allowed in the Eurovision why not kick their national and domestic teams out of FIFA and UEFA events 

To their credit UEFA have moved the Champions League final from St Petersburg to Paris.

I'm not sure whether it's FIFA or UEFA who ultimately have jurisdiction over the European section World Cup qualification, but Russia should be kicked out. More power to Poland and Sweden for refusing to play them.

I personally don't understand Poland pulling out, its not the Football team or Russian federation who are at fault.  So, now it passes pressure to the other semi final  pair to do similar, and then Russia gets to the finals without kicking a ball?  Moving game to safer regions I totally understand.  We also should not be pulling out to give Ukraine safe passage, I do however support moving the dates.   Sports can unite us all and be a great display of solidarity.  Also, us playing Ukraine and Poland who could be playing Russia could and should be using these platforms to send a message.  There isn't much that can be solved on a sports field to change military conflict but condemning a nation for what their leaders are doing then I'll say without apology, the UK has no leg to stand on if that's the consensus.  FIFA and UEFA I am not sure of their recent stance on political statements but  I am sure will be having much discussion on what to do, clearly human rights are not even that important to them when they have awarded their premier competition to Qatar.  

Poland and Sweden have not pulled out. They have refused to play Russia which the SFA (and UEFA and FIFA of course) should fully support. Poland shares a border with Ukraine. Were Ukraine to become a puppet-state of Putin's Russia there would be a direct threat to Poland. We would be saying exactly the same in Poland's position.

Of course it is not the Russian people's fault, nor their footballers. But the Russia football team represents the country and Putin, whether they like it or not. 

Whatever the wrongs before (and there are a lot - awarding Russia and Qatar world cup for a start) sport absolutely has to stand up now in support of Ukraine. Some sports are doing the right thing - I hope football follows suit.

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Seriously this is one of the most pathetic and embarrassing things I've ever seen posted here.

No more pathetic than the virtue signalling suggestion that we should give Ukraine a bye. We've been drawn to play Ukraine. There are 3 potential outcomes. 

1. Ukraine can fulfil the fixture and the game goes ahead 

2. Ukraine can't fulfil the fixture and we get given a bye 

3. Ukraine can't fulfil the fixture so uefa give their place to another team and we play them instead 

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I personally don't understand Poland pulling out, its not the Football team or Russian federation who are at fault.  So, now it passes pressure to the other semi final  pair to do similar, and then Russia gets to the finals without kicking a ball?  Moving game to safer regions I totally understand.  We also should not be pulling out to give Ukraine safe passage, I do however support moving the dates.   Sports can unite us all and be a great display of solidarity.  Also, us playing Ukraine and Poland who could be playing Russia could and should be using these platforms to send a message.  There isn't much that can be solved on a sports field to change military conflict but condemning a nation for what their leaders are doing then I'll say without apology, the UK has no leg to stand on if that's the consensus.  FIFA and UEFA I am not sure of their recent stance on political statements but  I am sure will be having much discussion on what to do, clearly human rights are not even that important to them when they have awarded their premier competition to Qatar.  

I bet you’d have been on the first flight to Santiago in 1977.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

No more pathetic than the virtue signalling suggestion that we should give Ukraine a bye. We've been drawn to play Ukraine. There are 3 potential outcomes. 

3. Ukraine can't fulfil the fixture so uefa give their place to another team and we play them instead 

i think that this is correct.  I do think Russia should also be thrown out.

Its 100% correct that the Russian sports teams get punished. You cant break down a war into whose fault it is or not. The Russian soldiers wont want to be in Ukraine either but end of the day they are. Its about sending a clear message to Russia / China that if you behave in certain ways then you loose all international privileges. Getting kicked out of everything, freezing banking assets, not selling stuff to Russia etc makes it more likely that the general Russian public will get disgruntled with Putin.

I get what people are saying about Iraq / Isreal etc but like it or not, the world is run a certain way. A classic take our ball back, your no playing scenario.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

4. The game gets postponed until a later date to allow for the possibility that the conflict will end quickly or settle enough for a football match to reasonably take place.

If the winner of Austria and Wales agreed to postpone the final until a later date, it would be the fairest outcome. Ukraine should be given every chance to compete. This is especially possible since the World cup isn't until late November.

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

4. The game gets postponed until a later date to allow for the possibility that the conflict will end quickly or settle enough for a football match to reasonably take place.

If the winner of Austria and Wales agreed to postpone the final until a later date, it would be the fairest outcome. Ukraine should be given every chance to compete. This is especially possible since the World cup isn't until late November.

Exactly 

46 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its 100% correct that the Russian sports teams get punished. You cant break down a war into whose fault it is or not. The Russian soldiers wont want to be in Ukraine either but end of the day they are. Its about sending a clear message to Russia / China that if you behave in certain ways then you loose all international privileges. Getting kicked out of everything, freezing banking assets, not selling stuff to Russia etc makes it more likely that the general Russian public will get disgruntled with Putin.

I get what people are saying about Iraq / Isreal etc but like it or not, the world is run a certain way. A classic take our ball back, your no playing scenario.

Indeed. It's not that long since South Africa were banned from competing in all international sport.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Finding a suitable date for this could be difficult with nations league games in June and September 

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

Agree. Those are the three options that should be considered. This talk of giving Ukraine a bye is basically stupid. I would be surprised if Ukraine don't pull out. With all that's going on in their country, i would have thought football is quite far down the list of importance. 

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Finding a suitable date for this could be difficult with nations league games in June and September 

Awfully selfish of Putin to invade Ukraine and not take into account a congested fixture schedule.

5 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

The Nations league games can wait. Especially since some of those are against Ukraine anyway. I know it might have to be outside of the normal International window, but we managed to reschedule games after lockdowns. This would be no different.

I'll bet if Ukraine requested this, there would be no opposition from Scotland, Wales or Austria. Hell, we could play the playoffs midweek in October if we really had to. Football won't even be an afterthought for all Ukrainians right now. Nor should it be.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Czech Republic are the latest side refusing to play Russia. Good on them. Still deafening silence from the football authorities though, as far as I'm aware

And they've bottled it: 

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/bureau-of-the-fifa-council-takes-initial-measures-with-regard-to-war-in

🙄

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

They've looked at how the Olympics (IOC) bottled it with the Russian drug cheats & allowed them to compete at the winter Olympics by changing their name & not allowing the Russian flag or national anthem, but they we're still Russian & they we're still drug cheats, the ice skater was still allowed to compete after testing positive with a banned drug. FIFA are using the same template to let the Russian football team carry on playing when they should boot them out now. FIFA, UEFA & the Olympics should be ashamed of themselves but being some of the most corrupt organisations in the world they won't take any meaningful action against their paymasters.