Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I have every sympathy with Ukraine as my posts in other threads will show, however I hope we pump them raw in the playoff.

Yes,if the game goes ahead,it's there to be won,and that's what we should be going all out to do.Nothing else is acceptable.No doubts should be in the players head.Just hope we don't go into this half arsed,lose and watch as Wales or Austria pump them in the final.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Was having a look only 8 of their current squad play outwith Ukraine .

the vast majority play for Kyiv or shaktar so there little of chance of getting a squad together 

Little chance of getting their usual squad together. 

Think we need to have a heart here. At least half there team is in Ukraine, and likely gun in hand fighting for their country and lives. The Klitschko bro’s and there last president are machine gun in hand in Kyiv. 

Whatever we can do to bring hope to a broken country, the better. Personally, Id have a joint Scottish/eu based Ukraine team going through against wales/Austria.  World would love us 

9 hours ago, todd said:

I for one would be delighted with a bye! I couldn't even imagine playing Ukraine any time soon, everyone and his dog will want them to win including many of our right on fans.

Why would that matter? Unless our players also want them to win……

16 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Was having a look only 8 of their current squad play outwith Ukraine .

the vast majority play for Kyiv or shaktar so there little of chance of getting a squad together 

They could put a squad together, but it will be mainly players who are always on the fringes.

In goals is where they will struggle the most as there is only Andriy Lunin (while plays at Real Madrid, rarely gets a call up) and Andriy Chekotun (U21 keeper playing in Sweden).... they may try get Oleksandr Shovkovskyi out of retirement to sit on the bench (his kids are at private school in London, and is always posting pictures on Instagram from London, but no idea if he is in the UK or Ukraine at the moment).

They have a good chunk of players who play in Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary, then you have Eduard Sobol,Marian Shved (though conflicting rumors he was back in Ukraine to sign for Lviv during the winter), Mykola Kukharevych and Roman Bezus in Belgium, Viktor Kovalenko and Ruslan Malinovskyi in Italy, plus Andriy Yarmolenko, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Vitaliy Mykolenko in England.

On top of this you have Roman Yaremchuk in Portugal.... and if they are REALLY desperate, Roman Zozulya is kicking about in the Spanish Leagues.

So I think they could JUST ABOUT make a 23 man squad.

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Why would that matter? Unless our players also want them to win……

So you think some Scotland fans at the game cheering on Ukraine wouldn't matter?🤔

Edited by todd

42 minutes ago, wanderer said:

They could put a squad together, but it will be mainly players who are always on the fringes.

In goals is where they will struggle the most as there is only Andriy Lunin (while plays at Real Madrid, rarely gets a call up) and Andriy Chekotun (U21 keeper playing in Sweden).... they may try get Oleksandr Shovkovskyi out of retirement to sit on the bench (his kids are at private school in London, and is always posting pictures on Instagram from London, but no idea if he is in the UK or Ukraine at the moment).

They have a good chunk of players who play in Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary, then you have Eduard Sobol,Marian Shved (though conflicting rumors he was back in Ukraine to sign for Lviv during the winter), Mykola Kukharevych and Roman Bezus in Belgium, Viktor Kovalenko and Ruslan Malinovskyi in Italy, plus Andriy Yarmolenko, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Vitaliy Mykolenko in England.

On top of this you have Roman Yaremchuk in Portugal.... and if they are REALLY desperate, Roman Zozulya is kicking about in the Spanish Leagues.

Sved was back in the Ukraine fighting according to the report i read. 

56 minutes ago, todd said:

So you think some Scotland fans at the game cheering on Ukraine wouldn't matter?🤔

Seriously... who is going to be cheering on Ukraine? I think folk are getting a bit carried away here. 

They would get a very healthy round of applause for their anthem and at full time. Everything that happens in the 90 mins would be full, normal support for Scotland. 

It is looking increasingly likely that the match will have to be postponed. Three weeks today is the match and there is no sign of the conflict will be over by then and the conflict is moving very slowly. I cannot see the Russian Army pulling out now and losing massive face and knock to Putin's pride. Also I cannot see Ukraine knuckling under and agreeing to Russia's demands so we have a stalemate that is likely to rumble on for weeks maybe months.Postponing until June is being mooted but still where is the guarantee this will be resolved in any way by then.

The only logical course of action will have people greeting their eyes out about 'No fair' but the only way is Ukraine also withdraw as sport is the last thing on their mind just now and sportsmen of theirs picking up arms all the time. Scotland a bye through to play the winner of Wales V Austria.

Think FIFA will postpone, but there isn't a hope in hell's chance this will all be sweetness and love in June, so it's just delaying the inevitable.

We'll probably play Poland in a friendly on 24th, then on the 29th I 'd suggest we play Wales in a friendly in Cardiff.

3 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Think FIFA will postpone, but there isn't a hope in hell's chance this will all be sweetness and love in June, so it's just delaying the inevitable.

We'll probably play Poland in a friendly on 24th, then on the 29th I 'd suggest we play Wales in a friendly in Cardiff.

More likely a friendly V Austria in Vienna on the 29th. 😉

23 minutes ago, kumnio said:

No issue with postponing the game, surely the authorities will agree. It’s absolutely the right thing to do. 

It's a nice idea, but that will hit fans in the pocket; the fans who have paid for flights and hotels for the year ahead in Glasgow/Cardiff/Vienna/Dublin/Yerevan.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Is it a 'must' that they have 23 players in the squad?

Would FIFA/UEFA allow fewer players in a squad?

43 minutes ago, kumnio said:

No issue with postponing the game, surely the authorities will agree. It’s absolutely the right thing to do. 

Agreed. But as others have said, this conflict will go on for months, possibly even longer if the pre-invasion situation in Crimea is anything to go by. So sadly I think its delaying the inevitable

56 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Seriously... who is going to be cheering on Ukraine? I think folk are getting a bit carried away here. 

They would get a very healthy round of applause for their anthem and at full time. Everything that happens in the 90 mins would be full, normal support for Scotland. 

Agreed.

As for the rest of the world supporting Ukraine; the rest of the world won't be inside Hampden.

2 hours ago, todd said:

Anyone that would do that isn’t a Scotland fan so it’s highly doubtful it would happen. Even if it did I doubt it would have an impact on the result of the game. 

Just say it does get postponed and rescheduled for June there’s no guarantee the situation will be resolved by then and there’s no chance it will be moved again. This is going fuck up the nations league fixtures for all involved then have an impact on World Cup friendlies. Deepest sympathies for what’s going on in Ukraine but if they can get a squad together then it should be played 

8 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Just say it does get postponed and rescheduled for June there’s no guarantee the situation will be resolved by then and there’s no chance it will be moved again. This is going fuck up the nations league fixtures for all involved then have an impact on World Cup friendlies. Deepest sympathies for what’s going on in Ukraine but if they can get a squad together then it should be played 

We don’t need to look to far back to see playoff matches being postponed and rescheduled, in fact we only need to go back two years to the Euro 2020 play offs which were cancelled and of course the finals were themselves moved by a year.

Fixture lists can easily be rearranged and games rescheduled if the will is there.  Of course this is made more difficult by UEFA filling up the international calendar and not leaving any contingency. 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

We don’t need to look to far back to see playoff matches being postponed and rescheduled, in fact we only need to go back two years to the Euro 2020 play offs which were cancelled and of course the finals were themselves moved by a year.

Fixture lists can easily be rearranged and games rescheduled if the will is there.  Of course this is made more difficult by UEFA filling up the international calendar and not leaving any contingency. 

Aye but the World Cup isny Gonny be postponed.  If there wasn’t a tournament this year and a full nations league fixture list to work through then aye it could be easily postponed and played whenever but there’s only a tight window if possible at all 

Just now, loanhead-tartan said:

Aye but the World Cup isny Gonny be postponed.  If there wasn’t a tournament this year and a full nations league fixture list to work through then aye it could be easily postponed and played whenever but there’s only a tight window if possible at all 

World cup won’t be postponed but it’s not until November.   Upcoming Nations League games however could be postponed to allow these playoffs to be played when the situation becomes clearer.