Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

1 hour ago, RDFH64 said:

They've looked at how the Olympics (IOC) bottled it with the Russian drug cheats & allowed them to compete at the winter Olympics by changing their name & not allowing the Russian flag or national anthem, but they we're still Russian & they we're still drug cheats, the ice skater was still allowed to compete after testing positive with a banned drug. FIFA are using the same template to let the Russian football team carry on playing when they should boot them out now. FIFA, UEFA & the Olympics should be ashamed of themselves but being some of the most corrupt organisations in the world they won't take any meaningful action against their paymasters. 

Russia are currently banned from all major international competitions (including the 2022 World Cup) by WADA, not just the Olympics. 

I have no idea why they weren’t being forced to compete as neutrals in this World Cup anyway. So yes, massive cop out. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Russia are currently banned from all major international competitions (including the 2022 World Cup) by WADA, not just the Olympics. 

I have no idea why they weren’t being forced to compete as neutrals in this World Cup anyway. So yes, massive cop out. 

They shouldn't be allowed to compete at all, banned should mean banned totally.

Only on Friday the Ukraine manager was talking that he plans to continue as normal.

I do think that Ukraine will push ahead with the game, but it will be foreign based players, due to Ukrainians males between the ages of 18-55 being refused access to leave the country (be it already established, fringe and U21 players) and they could still put together a pretty good team.

Andriy Lunin (Real Mardrid) in goals, all the outfield English based players, no shortage of players based in Poland and Hungary, Roman Yaremchuk (Benfica), then dip into the U21's for Maksym Talovyerov at Slavia Prague and Vladyslav Supryaha at Sampdoria (who I expected would have been in the squad anyway).

Edited by wanderer

It wouldn't feel right playing a team without their home based players, IMO. I know we played the Czech C team during Covid. 

Surely if things are still as bad as now in the middle of March, we pull these playoffs until October/November - all of them including other groups. 

Not saying that will solve it, or things will be resolved then ; but with the WC being later we should look at waiting..

PS I reckon FIFA will chuck Russia out.

There will be too much uproar if they try and compete as a FOR (footballers of Russia team). The teams in their playoff group won't play them and now England, Wales and Scotland have said they won't play them either. 

Basically early 90s South Africa boycotts.

35 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It wouldn't feel right playing a team without their home based players, IMO. I know we played the Czech C team during Covid. 

Surely if things are still as bad as now in the middle of March, we pull these playoffs until October/November - all of them including other groups. 

Not saying that will solve it, or things will be resolved then ; but with the WC being later we should look at waiting..

From our point of view, I agree, but the Ukrainians are basically viewing this as playing any game is a victory (regardless if they win 1-0 or lose 5-0)...

All my friends in Kyiv have been in the underground, and we have been chatting and stuff on social media, and its just the small talk that they want to talk about,  "have a beer for me on match day" "please fly a Ukraine flag at the match for me" "whatsapp me during the national anthem" etc 

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Don't like the atmosphere being created among our support.It's creating an impossible situation for the team, that somehow we will be the bad guys if we beat them.If they can put a team out, then they are there to be beaten, and that's exactly what we should try and do.To step aside and give them a bye is just ridiculous. Does that mean that everybody else that plays them will give them a bye, or are we to be the patsies. Really stupid idea. Question has got to be asked... with all that's going on in their country why would a world cup qualifier be of any real concern to them. Surely they have a lot more to worry about than that particular issue. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

From our point of view, I agree, but the Ukrainians are basically viewing this as playing any game is a victory (regardless if they win 1-0 or lose 5-0)...

All my friends in Kyiv have been in the underground, and we have been chatting and stuff on social media, and its just the small talk that they want to talk about,  "have a beer for me on match day" "please fly a Ukraine flag at the match for me" "whatsapp me during the national anthem" etc 

If the game goes ahead that anthem will be unbelievable! 

Any idea about Russia. Finland to take their place in the group with Sweden, Czech Rep and Poland? 

Ps I hope your pals and friendly are OK. 

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't like the atmosphere being created among our support.It's creating an impossible situation for the team, that somehow we will be the bad guys if we beat them.If they can put a team out, then they are there to be beaten, and that's exactly what we should try and do.To step aside and give them a bye is just ridiculous. Does that mean that everybody else that plays them will give them a bye, or are we to be the patsies. Really stupid idea. Question has got to be asked... with all that's going on in their country why would a world cup qualifier be of any real concern to them. Surely they have a lot more to worry about than that particular issue. 

I'm saying we should play them but we should delay all the playoffs until later in the year. 

8 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If that’s the precedent people want to start, then we should just give them the World Cup now and tell everyone they’ve won it. 

20 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

If the game goes ahead that anthem will be unbelievable! 

Any idea about Russia. Finland to take their place in the group with Sweden, Czech Rep and Poland? 

Ps I hope your pals and friendly are OK. 

In-laws are "safe" as they can be in Western Ukraine (mother-in-law is VERY stubborn and more worried about squatters taking her home if she fled than of the Russian army) and all my friends in Kyiv are safe (they went in to the metro on Friday afternoon and have only been allowed out this morning).

Early days on Russia games, but sounds like Poland are digging their heels in!

Sounds like Spartak Moscow are going to be kicked out of the Europa League this afternoon and Red Bull are getting a bye to the next round.

That's Russia removed from the play-offs now, including under the name of Football Union of Russia.  I don't think its been announced what will happen, Poland will likely get a by to play the winner of Sweden and Czech republic as all 2nd place teams made it into the play-offs.  I personally can't image they give the play off spot to Slovakia who finished 3rd but it would be an option I am sure that is being considered.  

FIFA have kicked out Russia. With the same precedent, UEFA must now remove Spartak Moscow from the Europa Conference League. Scotland is fractionally in 9th Place above Russia in the UEFA coefficients, for the 2023/24 season and could benefit. Kicking out Spartak Moscow would mean our league is only competing against Serbia for the 9th place, with Rangers about to go head to head with Red Star Belgrade. 

The 9th place, would also mean that the third placed SPFL side would be guaranteed European group stage football! It would be great!

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Only on Friday the Ukraine manager was talking that he plans to continue as normal.

I do think that Ukraine will push ahead with the game, but it will be foreign based players, due to Ukrainians males between the ages of 18-55 being refused access to leave the country (be it already established, fringe and U21 players) and they could still put together a pretty good team.

Andriy Lunin (Real Mardrid) in goals, all the outfield English based players, no shortage of players based in Poland and Hungary, Roman Yaremchuk (Benfica), then dip into the U21's for Maksym Talovyerov at Slavia Prague and Vladyslav Supryaha at Sampdoria (who I expected would have been in the squad anyway).

All that analysis on Ukraine players and no mention of the god Malinovskyi.

28 minutes ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

FIFA have kicked out Russia. With the same precedent, UEFA must now remove Spartak Moscow from the Europa Conference League. Scotland is fractionally in 9th Place above Russia in the UEFA coefficients, for the 2023/24 season and could benefit. Kicking out Spartak Moscow would mean our league is only competing against Serbia for the 9th place, with Rangers about to go head to head with Red Star Belgrade. 

The 9th place, would also mean that the third placed SPFL side would be guaranteed European group stage football! It would be great!

Good. Why they didn't just say that yesterday I don't know though.