Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….


Malcolm
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russia wont invade

Putin will say it was just war games - after some of his NATO demands are met

The game will go ahead with Ukraine having the World's sympathy and an increased sense of nationhood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Remains to be seen.  Let’s say they do invade… game off?

WW3 & potential Nuclear Holocaust

All football cancelled and Nicola Sturgeon gets the blame

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Remains to be seen.  Let’s say they do invade… game off?

Depends on whether they can get their Ukraine based players/coaches out of the country I suppose. Or whether they’d want to. 

I reckon the game will go ahead even if Russia do invade but it’s difficult to tell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hypothetically there is a precedent

In 1992 Yugoslavia were disqualified from EURO 92 due to the Yugoslav wars - Denmark took their place as group runners up.

So if there is a war in Ukraine they will be disqualified as well and Scotland will either be awarded the tie or the team that finished behind Ukraine will get their play off spot

Would all depend how close to the game War breaks out

Edited by Ally Bongo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Hypothetically there is a precedent

In 1992 Yugoslavia were disqualified from EURO 92 due to the Yugoslav wars - Denmark took their place as group runners up.

So if there is a war in Ukraine they will be disqualified as well and Scotland will either be awarded the tie or the team that finished behind Ukraine will get their play off spot

Would all depend how close to the game War breaks out

I’m not sure if a direct comparison can be made to something that happened 30 years ago. Especially since Ukraine would be the victim of an unprovoked invasion. Scotland have also played football many times while being at war. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if a direct comparison can be made to something that happened 30 years ago.

Yes - yes it can

Especially since Ukraine would be the victim of an unprovoked invasion.

Does not matter a jot particularly if the Russians frame it as a Civil War - Crimea being an example 

Scotland have also played football many times while being at war. 

A war was taking place inside the country of Yugoslavia

A War would be taking place inside the country of Ukraine

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

 

It’s not as simple as that though is it? Yugoslavia were suspended in 1992 as part of UN sanctions. If Russia invade Ukraine it will be Russia that faces UN sanctions, not Ukraine.

Ukraine certainly wouldn’t be allowed to play games in their own country but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be allowed to play at Hampden next month. It could well be the case but it’s not as guaranteed as you are making out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Russia wont invade

Putin will say it was just war games - after some of his NATO demands are met

The game will go ahead with Ukraine having the World's sympathy and an increased sense of nationhood

Can see them coming to Hampden on a wave of supercharged nationalism.With the mindset of there is no way we are going to lose this match.If nothing else,we will have to match their determination to win the game on the night.Nervy ,nervy night ahead methinks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, thesaint said:

Can see them coming to Hampden on a wave of supercharged nationalism.With the mindset of there is no way we are going to lose this match.If nothing else,we will have to match their determination to win the game on the night.Nervy ,nervy night ahead methinks.

I will shock you just how laid back everyone is out there....

Mrs Skyped her mum last night and I could even hear the "what the f**k are you on about?" from upstairs.

Problem is there is a lot of mixed signals.... US have said they have withdrawn their embassy staff, but only from Kyiv as the embassy has been moved to Lviv in Western Ukraine, and the UK Ambassador has been tweeting all weekend that the UK embassy is open for business and she will be staying in Kyiv (plus the EU Ambassador and alot of other embassies are staying put).

I suspect the US are calling in Putin's bluff, and Putin knows that its, and using the chance to totally cripple the Ukraine economy (airlines are refusing to fly over Ukraine airspace now, so Ukraine are having to stump up the money for insurance guarantee's) so nothing more than a bit of Sabre-rattling for the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Russia won’t invade. It’s a political game on both sides.

Allowing Ukraine to join Nato would be utter madness.

I fancy us at Hampden. 

Thing is, its not even on the cards.....

While opinion polls for joining NATO are at over 70% for joining (up from 25% in 2014), truth is NATO are not going to allow a new member who is already involved in a armed conflict (since 2014 which has seen 7% of its land under control of Russia).... and Russia knows this.

All Ukraine wants at the end of the day is to make its own choices and no outside inference (EU membership is a much more important goal than NATO membership for the people of Ukraine, and what Maidan was all about in the first place, to be seen on a level status with Poles, Slovaks and Czech's) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Thing is, its not even on the cards.....

While opinion polls for joining NATO are at over 70% for joining (up from 25% in 2014), truth is NATO are not going to allow a new member who is already involved in a armed conflict (since 2014 which has seen 7% of its land under control of Russia).... and Russia knows this.

All Ukraine wants at the end of the day is to make its own choices and no outside inference (EU membership is a much more important goal than NATO membership for the people of Ukraine, and what Maidan was all about in the first place, to be seen on a level status with Poles, Slovaks and Czech's) 

… and the press continue to rub their hands with glee. It’s quite something to behold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

… and the press continue to rub their hands with glee. It’s quite something to behold. 

Yep, today's one is BBC running a story that the Ukraine ambassador to the UK said that they would give up the NATO "dream" if Russia pulls back.... and yet what he said is one out of context line from a 1 hour interview that says nothing of the sort (the Ukrainian president is playing it rather "cool" for the moment, and he would certainly not indicate anything like that, especially with presidential election campaign set to start later this year).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I guess it sells papers and give journalists a chance to sound profound?

Especially in the UK where you have a Prime Minister who is desperate to keep his own scandal off the front pages of the newspapers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

you may well have a point!

The UK have shown very little interest in Ukraine over the last 10 years... its quite convenient that they up the anti with things flaring up again, yet last year when Russian troops were building up on Ukraine's border they said nothing.

Edited by wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep. Quite shocking the extent that the UK and US are talking up to war. 

I’ve not been following it closely but the only external party that seemed to try and cool the mood and language was Macron and he also gave a nod to Russian concerns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yep. Quite shocking the extent that the UK and US are talking up to war. 

I’ve not been following it closely but the only external party that seemed to try and cool the mood and language was Macron and he also gave a nod to Russian concerns. 

It's little surprise that the UK and US are hated across large parts of the world. 

Not happy unless they are at war and int he odd years they aren't at war, they love telling us all about previous wars. Except Iraq, Afghan etc We just try and forget those ever happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone mentions how Rees Mogg still acts as if it's the 18th Century

But what about public school throbbers like Tobias Ellwood and the current Defence secretary Ben Wallace ?

The must think it's the time of the Chinese Opium Wars where Britain can send gun boats to get it's own way

They are really dangerous cunts - even more dangerous than sending idiots like Truss and Johnson to the Ukraine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everyone mentions how Rees Mogg still acts as if it's the 18th Century

But what about public school throbbers like Tobias Ellwood and the current Defence secretary Ben Wallace ?

The must think it's the time of the Chinese Opium Wars where Britain can send gun boats to get it's own way

They are really dangerous cunts - even more dangerous than sending idiots like Truss and Johnson to the Ukraine

Ukrainian media had a field day with the pair of them last week.....

 

Btw there is no "the" in Ukraine, just Ukraine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, wanderer said:

 

 

Btw there is no "the" in Ukraine, just Ukraine.

There is no "the" in Covid - but we say it anyhoo

Just read up on why it is no longer referred to as "The" Ukraine

Fair enough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...