Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

Better no mess with the Armenia game. I’ve gone to great expense to fund that trip.

Seriously, what’s going to be different next month, May, June? This isn’t ending soon. 

Play the game or give us a Bye.

J

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

World cup won’t be postponed but it’s not until November.   Upcoming Nations League games however could be postponed to allow these playoffs to be played when the situation becomes clearer.

Massively inconvenience to four FAs or just confront the issue now. Sad as it is, they can field a team, they should play or step aside. 

Russia need to be told to BOLT with their appeal also!

J

Putin explicitly said to Macron today he plans to fully occupy Ukraine. How on Earth if this gets postponed are we even going to be able to play ‘Ukraine’? Imo they should either field a team or we should be given a bye. Obviously what’s happening over there is horrible, but this isn’t ending soon and a postponement is only going to mess up the rest of UEFA’s plans. I think the Scottish FA will agree obviously as they don’t want to be seen as the bad guys, but I think ultimately UEFA will reject the proposal.

31 minutes ago, Jamessm238 said:

Putin explicitly said to Macron today he plans to fully occupy Ukraine.

How on Earth if this gets postponed are we even going to be able to play ‘Ukraine’? 

Aye, I heard about Macron's telecom.

I was talking to somebody tonight about the possible postponement and they said; "They ought to play... It might be the last time they ever get to play as Ukraine". 

Edited by Rich NATA

Cant see this game going ahead...
More important things than football now.

Gives UEFA / FIFA a real headache to deal with.
My guess - we will end up playing winner of Wales vs Austria in June.

I cant see Ukraine being able to put team on park any time soon.
F--k Russia.

Edited by Haggis_trap

3 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Seriously... who is going to be cheering on Ukraine? I think folk are getting a bit carried away here. 

They would get a very healthy round of applause for their anthem and at full time. Everything that happens in the 90 mins would be full, normal support for Scotland. 

I wouldn't be so sure, I guarantee you they'll be some Scottish fans turning up in Ukraine tops at the very least!

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is looking increasingly likely that the match will have to be postponed. Three weeks today is the match and there is no sign of the conflict will be over by then and the conflict is moving very slowly. I cannot see the Russian Army pulling out now and losing massive face and knock to Putin's pride. Also I cannot see Ukraine knuckling under and agreeing to Russia's demands so we have a stalemate that is likely to rumble on for weeks maybe months.Postponing until June is being mooted but still where is the guarantee this will be resolved in any way by then.

The only logical course of action will have people greeting their eyes out about 'No fair' but the only way is Ukraine also withdraw as sport is the last thing on their mind just now and sportsmen of theirs picking up arms all the time. Scotland a bye through to play the winner of Wales V Austria.

Agree.Absolutely pointless postponing the match.Unfortunately the chances are that things could be worse by June.This is a long term situation.As stated above,football should be the last thing on their minds.What will happen is we will change the nations league games causing lots of people to lose money and in the end the game against Ukraine still wont go ahead.Either Ukraine get a team together or unfortunately they should withdraw.Anything else is just plain stupid.

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Agree.Absolutely pointless postponing the match.Unfortunately the chances are that things could be worse by June.This is a long term situation.As stated above,football should be the last thing on their minds.What will happen is we will change the nations league games causing lots of people to lose money and in the end the game against Ukraine still wont go ahead.Either Ukraine get a team together or unfortunately they should withdraw.Anything else is just plain stupid.

Vlad, is that you?

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

.Either Ukraine get a team together or unfortunately they should withdraw.Anything else is just plain stupid.

From a practical sense that is probably true...

However when Ukraine is getting the crap shelled out of it by Russia we need to show a little empathy.  If it were Scotland getting bombed then I would want opportunity for a postponement.  It would be the ultimate FU to Putin if Ukraine eventually manage to put a team out on the park.  Good luck to them. 

Let FIFA / UEFA make the hard decisions and let be respectful of situation.

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Better no mess with the Armenia game. I’ve gone to great expense to fund that trip.

Seriously, what’s going to be different next month, May, June? This isn’t ending soon. 

Play the game or give us a Bye.

J

This pretty much sums it up.  

Unfortunately uefa/fifa are going to try and save face and will agree to a postponement, which will be a totally futile decision. 

7 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

This pretty much sums it up.  

Unfortunately uefa/fifa are going to try and save face and will agree to a postponement, which will be a totally futile decision. 

Totally futile.Do you think the people of Ukraine are lying awake at night thinking...i hope that world cup qualifier gets postponed.Get some perspective on this.It's a football match for God sake.With the current and future situation,if they can't put a team out then it's unfortunate and not their fault,but the situation  in Ukraine dictates that they wont be able to participate now or anytime in the near future.Harsh...but it's a fact.

I want the game prosponed in solidarity personally. And to give Ukraine a bit of time to field a B team, a show of solidarity! It's just my feeling! 

The SPFL can decide what fixture they want Celtic and Rangers to be missing half their squad for another twist in this seasons title race! 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

6 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Think FIFA will postpone, but there isn't a hope in hell's chance this will all be sweetness and love in June, so it's just delaying the inevitable.

We'll probably play Poland in a friendly on 24th, then on the 29th I 'd suggest we play Wales in a friendly in Cardiff.

I’ve got zero interest in taking time off work, travelling down to Glasgow and spend unnecessary money on a friendly v Poland. 

Postpone the match... we'll play the winner of Wales/Austria on the 29th so one of the three have provisionally qualified. Then if the opportunity arises Ukraine can then play the provisionally qualified team on a future date. If sadly Ukraine are still unable to play the fixture before an agreed set date the qualified team is already decided.

16 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Bye's have been mentioned, but does anyone know which teams would have been next in line for the play-offs after Russia and Ukraine?

Slovakia finished behind Russia in their qualifying group and Finland just behind Ukraine in theirs, if that's what you mean.

(Ironically Vlad has been making veiled threats to Finland too recently)

Now that Ukraine have requested a postponement, that is exactly what will happen. No one is going to tell them they have to play it or forfeit. And that is the right thing to do.

You'd assume the Wales/Austria game will go ahead as planned. The silver lining is that we'd know our hypothetical final opponents, and have a more focussed plan. Though that works both ways. 

1 hour ago, CelticGeordie said:

Postpone the match... we'll play the winner of Wales/Austria on the 29th so one of the three have provisionally qualified. Then if the opportunity arises Ukraine can then play the provisionally qualified team on a future date. If sadly Ukraine are still unable to play the fixture before an agreed set date the qualified team is already decided.

I quite like this idea. It might mean either Austria or Wales having to play three games in order to qualify, which they'd almost certainly prefer not to do, but FFS, they haven't been invaded by fecking Vladimir Putin!  It's not a perfect solution but it's reasonable, in the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Now that Ukraine have requested a postponement, that is exactly what will happen. No one is going to tell them they have to play it or forfeit. And that is the right thing to do.

I fully expect FIFA/UEFA to accommodate Ukraine's request, but I don't think they ought to.

Ukraine have enough players outwith Ukraine to collate a squad - Almost all from top flight European clubs.

There's no point FIFA/UEFA seeing things the way they would like. They need to see things the way they are.

14 minutes ago, stirlish said:

At the moment, cos our play off is still at the 'request' stage.

Not being funny, but do Scotland not have a say in this? We surely must be consulted. I would like the SFA to take the great expense that fans would have gone to. As has been said, if not now then when. Field a team or 3-0 Scotland.

J

21 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Not being funny, but do Scotland not have a say in this? We surely must be consulted. I would like the SFA to take the great expense that fans would have gone to. As has been said, if not now then when. Field a team or 3-0 Scotland.

J

The SFA will agree in principle to a postponement, and leave it up to FiFA to make the actual decision whether the proposal/outcome is a viable one.

So game gets postponed and the SFA are "100% behind it".

Or

The game gets whitewashed and the SFA are "following the FIFA decision".

Its a PR win for the blazers.