Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 270 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 8/7/2023 at 5:38 PM, scotlad said:

If that's the case then that's weak management from Arteta. He should be making decisions based on picking the right team, not thinking "ach, I'll drop KT instead of such-and-such, he's less likely to kick off".

Managing people and their personalities isn't easy but it's part of the job - possibly the most important part of the job. Taking the soft option just for an easier life is tempting but it isn't the sign of a potentially successful manager.

Way too much reading into the reality I feel, Arteta had worked with Zinchenko at city & obviously rates him highly as a player & professional that's why he signed him.  I would be very surprised if Zinchenko had any attitude issues otherwise he wouldn't have sat on the bench at city for so long & is now captaining his country .

Like it's been said here before not getting selected when Zinchenko isn't playing is the really strange one. Maybe Arteta wants to try others as he doesn't trust his fitness or ability to play the so called inverted full back role who knows, only time will tell.

Even though he is wonderful player there may not be a huge amount of high level clubs want him as they don't trust he can play more than half a season without being crocked! 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He has 3 kids that are footballers. One plays English non-league, Kenzie (his daughter) plays for Scotland under 19 and Jensen plays for Brighton. He has been loaned twice to league 1 over the last two seasons and has played about 60 games at that level. Last year he was with Morecombe who were relegated.

I expect if he is good enough for international football he will pick Scotland as will both Fletchers. When they are young the development opportunities afforded to the English kids are far better (i.e. playing in major championships, not being coached by absolute dinosaurs etc.) so it is logical to pick that route. Step 1 is being good enough for a professional career (let alone international football) and frankly, playing in the Scottish youth setup gives a lower chance of achieving that milestone.

Good post, hope your right about young Weir & the Fletcher boys.

Someone also posted about Archie Gray who started & apparently starred for Leeds last week , he is Frank's grandson not Eddie's & he is potentially a really big talent, let's hope he will choose his family heritage over his schooling as he could become a seriously top player.

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

His end product is a bit hit or miss but he is only 17. The raw potential is clearly there. 

Point being there's no harm giving him another 1 or 2 years before he's in the 1st team unless he really breaks out this season or we end up desperate for attacking options for a key game.

No point rushing him now to get a reality check and dent his confidence. We all thought Karamoko Dembele was the next big thing as well

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Point being there's no harm giving him another 1 or 2 years before he's in the 1st team unless he really breaks out this season or we end up desperate for attacking options for a key game.

No point rushing him now to get a reality check and dent his confidence. We all thought Karamoko Dembele was the next big thing as well

I dont think he should be starter for scotland but if he starts getting regular gametime off the bench for Liverpool then he needs to be in the squad no doubt about it.

Dembeles situations a little bit different. Hes 20 or 21 I think and didn't play much at celtic and hasnt really played much at Brest either. Hes getting to an age where he needs to be playing every week. He looked amazing at youth level and so did doak but doaks doing it at senior level now which i dont think dembele is.

Fair enough its mostly been friendlies but doak looks a real star and is 3 years younger than dembele.

25 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Tierney not even in Arsenal squad 

I hope this is due to the fact he is in negotiation with Newcastle (permanent) or Real Sociedad( loan)

Big season not only for KT but many of our younger & established players EPL players. 

Mctominay & Mcginn have tough battles to get & stay in their teams.

I feel McKenna( starting today)  Christie & Campbell need to improve to become EPL regulars.

Most interesting though along with Hickey is Gilmour given the number 11 shirt & Patterson given the number 2. I hope that a sign that their clubs expect big things from them . So much potential in these 3, they are already established internationals but they could be really special players for us if they continue to progress..

Final mention goes to Ben Doak, maybe we should be more excited about him than even any of the above players🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🩷

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I hope this is due to the fact he is in negotiation with Newcastle (permanent) or Real Sociedad( loan)

Big season not only for KT but many of our younger & established players EPL players. 

Mctominay & Mcginn have tough battles to get & stay in their teams.

I feel McKenna( starting today)  Christie & Campbell need to improve to become EPL regulars.

Most interesting though along with Hickey is Gilmour given the number 11 shirt & Patterson given the number 2. I hope that a sign that their clubs expect big things from them . So much potential in these 3, they are already established internationals but they could be really special players for us if they continue to progress..

Final mention goes to Ben Doak, maybe we should be more excited about him than even any of the above players🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🩷

Cannot see Newcastle buying him after shelling out lots on Tino Livramento. Talk that they were interested in Tierney disappeared as soon as they bought Livramento.

McTominay had a tough battle last season getting games and until he gets out of there he will continue to struggle but will still do very well at international level - that is all that matters to us. McGinn will get plenty of game time of that I am very confident.

McKenna has been an EPL regular (barring injuries) and will be this season. Christie will still be an integral part of our side regardless of what the season brings for him at Bournemouth (started today).

Hickey will be continue to excel at Brentford but Gilmour may have just a slightly better league season than last year but can still do a very good job for us.

As for Ben Doak we should have high hopes for him given how highly Jurgen Klopp rates him.

4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

James Milner starting ahead of Gilmour. Not good. 

It's not, is it?  If I was Gilmour I might be a bit pissed off at someone old enough to be my da being picked ahead of me.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Livramento is a right-back. 

Newcastle are currently playing a big centre-half at left-back - and he looks every inch like a big centre-half playing left-back!

I can't think why the wouldn't be interested in Tierney - it's not as if they are short of cash.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

It's not, is it?  If I was Gilmour I might be a bit pissed off at someone old enough to be my da being picked ahead of me.

Newcastle are currently playing a big centre-half at left-back - and he looks every inch like a big centre-half playing left-back!

I can't think why the wouldn't be interested in Tierney - it's not as if they are short of cash.

I thought milner started at lb for them today