Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 266 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Exactly the same was said about Angus Gunn.

Gunn filled a massive gap for us and is guaranteed a starting spot. Not even sure the players discussed above could be guaranteed a starting place which might put them off.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So is this kid the next messiah?

This kid looks the real deal.

This feels very similar to when Gilmour made the breakthrough at Chelsea. He already has 18 caps and looks to be just about a first 11 player. 

All Doak needs is a handful of sub appearances and the odd start in cups, and he'll be on a par with Gilmour when he got called up.

Having Doak's explosive energy coming off the bench would be salivating.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

This feels very similar to when Gilmour made the breakthrough at Chelsea. He already has 18 caps and looks to be just about a first 11 player. 

All Doak needs is a handful of sub appearances and the odd start in cups, and he'll be on a par with Gilmour when he got called up.

Having Doak's explosive energy coming off the bench would be salivating.

Yeh he needs to be fast tracked. We dont have alot of players like him. Really hope klopp gives him some gametime. If he doesnt then a loan to another epl club would be great.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he needs to be fast tracked. We dont have alot of players like him. Really hope klopp gives him some gametime. If he doesnt then a loan to another epl club would be great.

I really don't see any reason why not. When there are players of this calibre, where you know their breakthrough is inevitable, why not get them in the squad. Andy Robertson will keep him grounded anyway, if that is the general concern.

Even if he doesn't go on loan, he's still rubbing shoulders with world class players every day. I'd happily get him into the next squad. Maybe September is a shade too early for him.

I would actually like Doak to not go out on loan even if he gametime is limited. He needs to learn off the best. He doesnt need to be playing every week at his age where everything is about results (see Gimlour at Norwich).

As long as he gets some cup games and the odd sub appearance this season then I will be happy.

Once his decison making in the final 3rd is honed then he potentially is a top top player.

Id have him in the squad over the likes of Brown and Turnbull. Sometimes its good to have a squad place for somebody who will clearly be a member of the team in the future. I wouldnt actually play him yet but have him in the squad, learning the tactics and the standards.

If we are comfortable in a game then bring him on with the likes of Ferguson (who is further ahead in development but Doaks ceiling is way higher)

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I would actually like Doak to not go out on loan even if he gametime is limited. He needs to learn off the best. He doesnt need to be playing every week at his age where everything is about results (see Gimlour at Norwich).

As long as he gets some cup games and the odd sub appearance this season then I will be happy.

Once his decison making in the final 3rd is honed then he potentially is a top top player.

Id have him in the squad over the likes of Brown and Turnbull. Sometimes its good to have a squad place for somebody who will clearly be a member of the team in the future. I wouldnt actually play him yet but have him in the squad, learning the tactics and the standards.

If we are comfortable in a game then bring him on with the likes of Ferguson (who is further ahead in development but Doaks ceiling is way higher)

Turnbull has the potential to go through a renaissance under Rodgers. Wishful thinking, probably. But I wouldn't be closing any doors on him just yet. He has a rare trait of being able to score from distance out of nothing.

Doak has the other traits we lack. He looks like he could be a better version of Fraser. 

When Plan A isn't working, having 2 players that can unlock a stubborn backline like Doak and Turnbull could be invaluable. Neither are ready for the first 11, but I'd possibly have them in the first 16.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Turnbull has the potential to go through a renaissance under Rodgers. Wishful thinking, probably. But I wouldn't be closing any doors on him just yet. He has a rare trait of being able to score from distance out of nothing.

Doak has the other traits we lack. He looks like he could be a better version of Fraser. 

When Plan A isn't working, having 2 players that can unlock a stubborn backline like Doak and Turnbull could be invaluable. Neither are ready for the first 11, but I'd possibly have them in the first 16.

Im defo not closing the door on Turnbull but he should be nowhere near the Scotland squad until he reguarly gets into the Celtic 1st 11 and starts doing the things you mention.

For the 2 attacking roles I would say we currently have McGinn, McTomminay, Christie, Armstrong and Ferguson ahead of him. 

We also have the likes of Nisbet and Shankland who would be considered as number 10s who would be ahead of him currently aswell.

Doaks may leapfrog him aswell for the same role if he hasnt already. Id much rather a supporting role player at Liverpool with a very high ceiling like Doak over a supporting role player at Celtic who lets face it has gone backwards in the last few years.

Thats a pretty extensive video of doak and his skillset. His end product in that video is pretty impressive wether its a shot, final pass or cross. He also has a great knack of rolling the shoulder and turning his man in the same way mcginn does with his arse. 

He really looks the real deal and at 17 hes got loads of time to develop and get better. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a pretty extensive video of doak and his skillset. His end product in that video is pretty impressive wether its a shot, final pass or cross. He also has a great knack of rolling the shoulder and turning his man in the same way mcginn does with his arse. 

He really looks the real deal and at 17 hes got loads of time to develop and get better. 

Really excited by this kid. He is tiny but Liverpool have clearly been working on his body strength.

He will obviously find it harder coming up against better defenders but his style reminds me of a young Ryan Giggs in the sense that he runs straight at defenders.

By that I mean that most attacking players will run at a defender but aim at a side and then either beat them on that side or move the ball to the other side either with a trick or just speed. What Giggs was great at was just running straight at the defender. That makes it really hard for them to choose a body shape. He then rarely moved the ball very much. It was all his own body movement that threw the defender off and then he shifted the ball accordingly. Doak seems to have a very similar style and it suits his low centre of gravity and quick feet down to a tee.

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im defo not closing the door on Turnbull but he should be nowhere near the Scotland squad until he reguarly gets into the Celtic 1st 11 and starts doing the things you mention.

For the 2 attacking roles I would say we currently have McGinn, McTomminay, Christie, Armstrong and Ferguson ahead of him. 

We also have the likes of Nisbet and Shankland who would be considered as number 10s who would be ahead of him currently aswell.

Doaks may leapfrog him aswell for the same role if he hasnt already. Id much rather a supporting role player at Liverpool with a very high ceiling like Doak over a supporting role player at Celtic who lets face it has gone backwards in the last few years.

Totally agree. Regarding Turnbull, he is probably behind Doak now. But that could quickly change if he becomes a starter for Celtic again.

He's only 24. 7 years younger than Armstrong. So he could easily be the long term replacement for him. Anyway, that's all just hypothetical. We'll see how he gets on this season.

My point was that we could have both Turnbull and Doak. We don't necessarily have to choose one over the other. 2 completely different players. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That's an old video. He's since thrived against Leicester and Bayern Munich. 

Saw him in his usual cameo against Bayern. If you didn't know who he was you'd absolutely think he was already an established international with a top country. He was explosive to burst away from defenders and did a few wee neat give and goes etc. Can't believe he'll not be in our next squad. An absolute game-changing player. Get him in and see how good he is. 

10 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Saw him in his usual cameo against Bayern. If you didn't know who he was you'd absolutely think he was already an established international with a top country. He was explosive to burst away from defenders and did a few wee neat give and goes etc. Can't believe he'll not be in our next squad. An absolute game-changing player. Get him in and see how good he is. 

Theres a decent chance he goes to germany with us(assuming we get there). 

18 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Newcastle filling their squad with players eligible for Scotland.

Barnes, Gordon, Anderson, Ashby, Livramento.

Also have Ritchie and Fraser on their books. 

I presume a total of none will be in next squad next month. 

I think that livramento will end up portugal. 

22 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Newcastle filling their squad with players eligible for Scotland.

Barnes, Gordon, Anderson, Ashby, Livramento.

Also have Ritchie and Fraser on their books. 

I presume a total of none will be in next squad next 

Ashby off to Swansea on loan,  Born Scots Jude Smith keeper, Lucas De Bolle and Charlie Mcarthur all highly rated on the books also. Hopefully get decent loans to kick on for the future.

Edited by syecosse

6 hours ago, syecosse said:

Ashby off to Swansea on loan,  Born Scots Jude Smith keeper, Lucas De Bolle and Charlie Mcarthur all highly rated on the books also. Hopefully get decent loans to kick on for the future.

Look forward to see who has a better season Ashby or Ramsay.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🩷