Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 220 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Nisbet on fire just now. Be teams looking at him you’d expect

If he continues this then championship teams will buy him. I think he will deserve a chance back in the squad but theres a few contenders like shankland and stewart for the striker spots. Even conway might get in if he goes on wee run before the march fixtures. Obviously adams and dykes are certs. 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Take into account though that Liverpool were playing rank rotten, How did Robertson do? Pretty badly. No doubt he will be a key part of our next squad.

I do get your point though about celebrating him winning a corner etc. Bit daft. What he needs is a start and full 90 minutes to really have a chance to impress not just a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

Yes mate, it wasn’t a commentary on Doak per se. I’ve no doubt the lad is good. I was more replying to folk suggesting he was good yesterday when he really didn’t do anything at all 👍

Edited by Marky

40 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Tierney sub today for Arsenal v spurs.  A lot of our players not getting much game time . Adam's and Robertson apart 

Getting quite worried about these up coming games. Patterson possibly out, Gordon defo out, Adams in relegation battle, Dykes not doing too good, and a whole host finding themselves regularly benched. 

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

31 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Getting quite worried about these up coming games. Patterson possibly out, Gordon defo out, Adams in relegation battle, Dykes not doing too good, and a whole host finding themselves regularly benched. 

And if they were playing we'd be worried about them getting injured.

37 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yes. Maybe it's a chance for a few guys to really burst onto the scene. Nisbet, Stewart and just maybe Doak (maybe too early) but if he does well over the next few months he would be worth a place even for his pace alone. Also forgot about Lewis Ferguson. Could be the right time to bring in fresh faces although that's hardly a Steve Clarke trait. 

46 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Gordons the only big blow really. We always have guys in and out of form. Nisbet, shankland and stewart are all starting to look excellent so if dykes is out of form then those three will be considered although dykes has always done well for scotland regardless of club form imo.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gordons the only big blow really. We always have guys in and out of form. Nisbet, shankland and stewart are all starting to look excellent so if dykes is out of form then those three will be considered although dykes has always done well for scotland regardless of club form imo.

Good post, competition up front is exactly what we want. Three in form forwards putting pressure on Dykes and Adams

47 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yes. Maybe it's a chance for a few guys to really burst onto the scene. Nisbet, Stewart and just maybe Doak (maybe too early) but if he does well over the next few months he would be worth a place even for his pace alone. Also forgot about Lewis Ferguson. Could be the right time to bring in fresh faces although that's hardly a Steve Clarke trait. 

Ferguson getting good rating for Bologna again today

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Few tartan specs being worn by some on here re Doak.

Thought he did next to nothing when he came on. Only positive I can think of is that he didn’t appear to lack confidence and was always looking for the ball. If I’m honest though he didn’t do anything with it. Someone in an earlier post saying “he won a corner”. I mean ffs is that a highlight? Clearly the boy is talented to be where he is, but it’s desperate stuff to say he did anything of note yesterday. Let’s keep it real.

That was me, and I wasn't exactly extolling his virtues. It was actually a pre-emptive strike at anyone that was going to say he lost the ball a lot. It was to point out that he is doing more than just trying to dribble past players. Reading my post back, I should have clarified that. So fair enough.

I'd love to see Doak getting given significant minutes in a match where the whole team is playing well. That was not a good environment to chuck him into with 20mins to go.

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Take into account though that Liverpool were playing rank rotten, How did Robertson do? Pretty badly. No doubt he will be a key part of our next squad.

I do get your point though about celebrating him winning a corner etc. Bit daft. What he needs is a start and full 90 minutes to really have a chance to impress not just a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

The bigger picture is he’s getting minutes. How many 17 year olds would get a game for Liverpool? He’s clearly very highly rated. 

39 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

From the highlghts I've seen as well as his scoring record Shankland looks o be doing really well, even his all round play. Behind Adams and Dykes, I believe Stewart is still injured and not sure we've seen enough from Brown to justify continued call ups. I'd be up for him back in.

Stewart has been back for some time now, 5 goals in last 6 games I think. 

Don't know, why but I just can't take Shankland seriously as an international prospect. 

40 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't know, why but I just can't take Shankland seriously as an international prospect. 

I'm not dismissing Shankland at all. By all accounts he's had a fantastic season and his all round game is also getting praised. I'd have no issues having him in the Scotland squad.

However, if you take a step back, look at the bigger picture, and compare him to some of the other 3rd striker slot candidates, there is a lot that goes against him. He's scored the exact same amount of non-penalty goals as Nisbet and took about 15 games more to do so. Hearts are, arguably, the 3rd best team in Scotland, and therefore should provide more opportunities for strikers anyway. He's also had some bad seasons and failed stints for other teams, as well as being 27 years old.

Nisbet and Stewart are both younger and very much on the ascendancy. It seems like only injuries have hindered their goalscoring of late. You could argue they've all had relatively slow starts to their careers, but Shankland has had undulating form for about 7 years now. 

If I were choosing the order it would be:  Nisbet > Stewart > Shankland > Brown > McBurnie

24 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not dismissing Shankland at all. By all accounts he's had a fantastic season and his all round game is also getting praised. I'd have no issues having him in the Scotland squad.

However, if you take a step back, look at the bigger picture, and compare him to some of the other 3rd striker slot candidates, there is a lot that goes against him. He's scored the exact same amount of non-penalty goals as Nisbet and took about 15 games more to do so. Hearts are, arguably, the 3rd best team in Scotland, and therefore should provide more opportunities for strikers anyway. He's also had some bad seasons and failed stints for other teams, as well as being 27 years old.

Nisbet and Stewart are both younger and very much on the ascendancy. It seems like only injuries have hindered their goalscoring of late. You could argue they've all had relatively slow starts to their careers, but Shankland has had undulating form for about 7 years now. 

If I were choosing the order it would be:  Nisbet > Stewart > Shankland > Brown > McBurnie

Nisbets hold and link up play is miles off what is required at a higher level. He is a good finisher so would likely fill his boots against the minnows but would be a waste of a jersey against Norway or Spain.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Nisbets hold and link up play is miles off what is required at a higher level. He is a good finisher so would likely fill his boots against the minnows but would be a waste of a jersey against Norway or Spain.

His hold up and link up play is the best part of his game IMO. and channel running. Have you watched him much!?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I feel the exact same about Ross Stewart. Was pish at Ross County & see him in the McBurnie mould of lashing in championship goals sporadically but can’t see him being an international striker. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

His hold up and link up play is the best part of his game IMO. and channel running. Have you watched him much!?

Quite abit. I watch a stupid amount of football as my wife would testify.

He tends to look good against sides Hibs are dominating. But when they are against it the ball bounces off him, he isnt physical to hold off defenders and for me doesnt do enough to help the team.

Id have him 5th in line for Scotland behind Adams, Dykes, Stewart and Shankland. However he is younger so time to develop.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I feel the exact same about Ross Stewart. Was pish at Ross County & see him in the McBurnie mould of lashing in championship goals sporadically but can’t see him being an international striker. 

You Know I like my who scored ratings, Stewart is currently the best player in the champioship. An acolade usually reserved for Aleksandar Mitrovic.

That would do nicely.

Ross County were pish, that doesn't help a striker.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I guess I generally I agree with a lot you post but I totally disagree on this one.

Stewart certainly wasn't pish at Ross County, from what I recall he didn't play as a 9, be played more wide right & from what I saw of him which I will admit wasn't a lot he looked their best player. Sunderland saw enough to take a chance on him & now he is performing better & probably is much higher valued on the transfer market than our alleged 2nd choice number 9 Dykes.

19 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I don’t agree with that at all. He’s reasonable with his back to goal and has a lovely weight of pass. He doesn’t have great pace but he’s a good all round footballer. 

I defended him a few weeks ago after being rusty from long term injury and said judge him in January… 

Edited by er yir macaroon