Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 382 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

58 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Do you know much about those centre halves, who's more likely to make it? Morrison has played quite regularly for Wigan, so I assume he's been doing well. I noticed that Mullen hasn't played regularly for Inverness but don't know why.

King I think needs a move away from Rangers, maybe a loan. He's looked good in the last few U21s games for Scotland (including some games in holding midfield) but really needs game time.
Mullen picked up a back injury at the end of Feb which was reportedly going to keep him out for 'months'.
Morrison has been in and out of a Wigan side where Maloney seems to like rotating a bit. He signed a new contract at Bayern last summer so will be interesting to see if they loan him to a Championship team, somewhere abroad or keep him in their youth team next season.
Bowat has played regularly in the Austrian league for Hartberg who are currently 5th. Can't say I've seen him play for them for he's impressed me for U21s (when playing CB that is, Gemmill tried him at LB too and he looked very uncomfortable).
Smith is the youngest of the bunch. Very highly rated by Villa coaches but has mostly been sat on the bench during his loan spell at St Johnstone.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, csinclair said:

King I think needs a move away from Rangers, maybe a loan. He's looked good in the last few U21s games for Scotland (including some games in holding midfield) but really needs game time.
Mullen picked up a back injury at the end of Feb which was reportedly going to keep him out for 'months'.
Morrison has been in and out of a Wigan side where Maloney seems to like rotating a bit. He signed a new contract at Bayern last summer so will be interesting to see if they loan him to a Championship team, somewhere abroad or keep him in their youth team next season.
Bowat has played regularly in the Austrian league for Hartberg who are currently 5th. Can't say I've seen him play for them for he's impressed me for U21s (when playing CB that is, Gemmill tried him at LB too and he looked very uncomfortable).
Smith is the youngest of the bunch. Very highly rated by Villa coaches but has mostly been sat on the bench during his loan spell at St Johnstone.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen a bit of them at u21 level (except Smith) and thought they've all looked pretty good but the key thing is getting regular games. 

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

This reminds me a little of a debate we all had a number of years ago where we discussed which of Souttar, McKenna or Hendry were likely to turn into full internationals. Well it turns out it was all 3! 

Hopefully the same thing happens with the 3 you've mentioned. CBs almost always take longer to fulfill their potential.

17 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

This reminds me a little of a debate we all had a number of years ago where we discussed which of Souttar, McKenna or Hendry were likely to turn into full internationals. Well it turns out it was all 3! 

Hopefully the same thing happens with the 3 you've mentioned. CBs almost always take longer to fulfill their potential.

Add Harry Souttar into it too as his career seems to have taken a really weird trajectory and shows how much luck plays a factor too.  When he was loaned out to Fleetwood from Stoke then plumped for Australia was a bit miffed but at best saw him as a Championship plodder so no big deal. 

Stoke then went to 3 at the back and he looked really solid plus could spray it about a bit.  Genuinely though despite a decent showing in the WC Stoke fans were happy at getting £15m for him.  The Stoke forum was predominantly take the money and run as it seemed based on a decent season and a bit plus a couple of world cup games. 

Leicester were a bit shit in the Premier League in fairness to him but now they seem to be playing 4 at the back he can barely get a sniff.  Pretty mental he's only played 3 times this season for them in the league.

Still think he'd have made our squad for the Euros, and we'd be moaning about his lack of game time, but what a weird trajectory going from Fleetwood, to lavish WC praise then into Leicester purgatory within the space of 4 years.  He's 25 too so his next move will be key although doesn't really matter to us apart from wondering what might have been.  However, he could get a move to a team that plays three at the back and be seen as a massive loss in the next few years. 

Fickle game defo.      

39 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Chings! Thats him and Bowat the CB doing well in that league. What’s the standard of that league?

Hes maybe just had the game of his life. 

Saying that he's scored 9 in 27 from midfield. A goal every 204 mins. He's only 23, could this guy be worth a shout for future squads.

Never even heard of him until now.

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hes maybe just had the game of his life. 

Saying that he's scored 9 in 27 from midfield. A goal every 204 mins. He's only 23, could this guy be worth a shout for future squads.

Never even heard of him until now.

Think he had some injury problems but some hearts fans were sad to see him go. 
Fair play to him he’s gone abroad and done well and earned himself a move to West Ham. Will be interesting to see if he gets a chance there next season

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Christie immense for Bournemouth again. If you were to believe stats sites he is one of the best players in his position in the EPL. 

Surely Clarke can't ignore when a player transforms himself from a average attacking midfielder to a fantastic holding midfielder much longer! 

38 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Surely Clarke can't ignore when a player transforms himself from a average attacking midfielder to a fantastic holding midfielder much longer! 

Agree, the two friendlies were the ideal opportunity. I think he provides more legs and tackling than magregor and gilmour who seem to to be too similar to be effective together. Obviously offers something going forwards too.

5 hours ago, syecosse said:

Ryan One seem to be scoring regularly now in the Sheff Utd u21 side, made the a few first team appearances but hopefully next year we will see this guy kick on, as looks a real talent. 

Yeah, he already looks like an athlete. Very developed for a 17 year old. 

Sounds like Rory Wilson is banging them in for Villa u21s as well. Only 18.

Fingers crossed this is a case of waiting for a bus and 2 come at once. 

Gone a bit under the radar but noticed that Matthew Craig has apparently been having a very successful loan at Doncaster from Spurs, was spurs u21s captain before joining Doncaster in Jan on loan, signed a long term deal at Spurs last summer so hopefully gets a higher up loan next year. 

Just now, noctonjock said:

Goal for lyndon Dykes tonight for QPR  v leeds tonight . Watched the game and thought Dykes was very good . Bitter sweet game  as a leeds and Scotland fan 

Good to see him get a goal. We need our strikers to hit a bit of form before the euros. End of the day dykes has earned his spot in the squad and its likely he gets serious gametime while we are there.

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Goal for lyndon Dykes tonight for QPR  v leeds tonight . Watched the game and thought Dykes was very good . Bitter sweet game  as a leeds and Scotland fan 

That’s really good to hear. Adams is bang on form now too also

If, as is quite possible, Hickey, Patterson and Tierney are all ruled out through injury I think we should go to four at the back. The wing-back system only benefits us with the Tierney/Robertson pivot and we are weakened greatly trying to play the same system without Tierney. Porteous has (I think) played as a right-back for Watford this season and Hendry and McKenna as centre-backs with Robertson at left-back. Midfield of five consisting of Christie, McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and McGregor with Shankland or Dykes or Adams up front.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If, as is quite possible, Hickey, Patterson and Tierney are all ruled out through injury I think we should go to four at the back. The wing-back system only benefits us with the Tierney/Robertson pivot and we are weakened greatly trying to play the same system without Tierney. Porteous has (I think) played as a right-back for Watford this season and Hendry and McKenna as centre-backs with Robertson at left-back. Midfield of five consisting of Christie, McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour and McGregor with Shankland or Dykes or Adams up front.

I don’t think that’s a bad shout, hadn’t thought of Porteous as right back. Has he played that position much? The only issue might lack of width but playing in a back four for Liverpool doesn’t stop Robertson getting forward.

However, I fully expect numerous people to tell you how we can’t play a back four!

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

However, I fully expect numerous people to tell you how we can’t play a back four!

Well to them I would say that Clarke stuck to five at the back as it was the most successful system to integrate both Tierney and Robertson into the same side. Well if Tiernwy is out then the system simply does not work. Cooper or McKenna are no Kieran Tierney in the left centre-back position and they should not be expected to be as they are totally different players.

Just as five at the back ensured we had our best players on the pitch then now four at the back does the same.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Back 5 versus a lone striker and 2 wide men is difficult as your 3 central defenders tend to get drawn out or you end up with 3v1 and your wing backs get pushed back by their wingers - which means you get outnumbered in midfield - as per Ukraine play-off.There is a reason 90% of club sides play a back 4. Its because 90% of club sides play a lone striker and 2 wide men.