Coronavirus - Page 405 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

THERE are times when I genuinely despair of the opposition parties in the Scottish Parliament. The brouhaha over school doors is one of them ("Ministers accused of ‘rewriting history’ after denying plan to chop class doors", The Herald, February 9) is one of them. It’s more than 20 years since I last designed a secondary school, so it’s news to me that classroom doors are fire doors – at least according to Douglas Ross. A quick check of the current building regulations reveals that there is no such requirement.

Equally puzzling is the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service’s belief that classroom doors should be fire doors in order to protect the pupils in a classroom from a fire which occurs in the corridor outside. This seems to suggest a new "stay put" philosophy in the event of the fire alarm going off rather than the norm of instigating immediate evacuation of pupils and staff. If it’s to protect pupils in the corridor from a classroom fire source, then you already have corridor fire doors to do that.

Education Secretary Shirley-Anne Somerville explained in her letter to a Holyrood committee that to improve ventilation one option was to undercut doors. It’s a compromise, but I’ve seen it done in a number of situations where an increased air flow is required due to an unforeseen problem. As such it’s a cost-effective way of remedying that problem, subject to confirmation from the door manufacturer that it is permissible without compromising the door’s performance. A 10mm gap is normally the maximum recommended

Another of the options suggested was to fit mechanical extract fans. But if the windows are closed (as would often be the case in winter) then you will need a source of replacement air to maintain an adequate air change rate. That’s why you would need to undercut the door.

This is essentially a Government intervention to mitigate the failure of many councils to install an adequate ventilation system when they were replacing the ageing schools under their control. Many of these schools were built in the last 30 years. In the intervening period there have been follow-up reports on the performance of these schools by the Scottish Futures Trust. A common feature in these reports has been the failure of naturally ventilated rooms to perform as required.

Guidance on school design issued by the then Scottish Executive in 2007 stated quite clearly that natural ventilation should be augmented with mechanical ventilation to compensate for overheating issues in the summer and for having to close windows on ultra-cold days in the winter. However, this guidance does not appear to have been followed, hence the current problem. Covid-19 has simply brought into focus these local authority procurement failures. Yet rather than debating the options to deal with this new problem, all we see each and every day is uninformed political point-scoring from opposition MSPs.

Robert Menzies, Falkirk.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19921874.letters-stop-point-scoring-trimming-school-doors-not-stupid-solution-ventilation-problems/

The door cutting idea seemed a bit daft to me too though I admit to knowing fook all about the subject.
However this was, I believe,  only one of a few options getting presented to a Holyrood committee, it is typical of opposition parties to jump on it. 

The guy certainly shut up the folk on the comments section, who, like me, clearly know nothing about schools, doors and ventilation. He just batted folk aside with actual information rather than get involved in  the usual screaming matches. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Its definitely pragmatic, but if reducing the spread of covid is the aim then it seems a bit contradictory  to have no masks in clubs/pubs  but have them in restaurants. Surely there is more chance of spreading covid standing right next to people  in a pub for hours than walking  to the bathroom in a restaurant? 

The more you wear a mask the less the spread. They have therefore required it in places they think are reasonable. It doesn’t mean there is less risk in settings not requiring it they are just taking a pragmatic approach. 

Bars / restaurants / nightclubs / gigs all, essentially, have the same laws to follow with regards to mask wearing.

Masks should be worn at all times except when sitting at a table or when eating or when drinking or when dancing. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/pages/where-face-coverings-should-be-worn/

21 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Genuine question - what was daft about it ?

Would it improve classroom ventilation - Yes

Is it better than spending millions on ventilation systems - Yes

It was a daft idea because instead of spending a fortune cutting the bottom off doors (and remember that many doors are not solid so cutting the bottom off would mean having to glue in a bit of wood to stabilise the veneer). the same effect could have been achieved by just holding the door slightly open, probably using a fire extinguisher.

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

It was a daft idea because instead of spending a fortune cutting the bottom off doors (and remember that many doors are not solid so cutting the bottom off would mean having to glue in a bit of wood to stabilise the veneer). the same effect could have been achieved by just holding the door slightly open, probably using a fire extinguisher.

🤣

Sounds like a job for the class idiot. 😂

21 hours ago, Lamia said:

I did though - the fact you can't spot it says more about you t can me.

Does it aye?

21 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Its definitely pragmatic, but if reducing the spread of covid is the aim then it seems a bit contradictory  to have no masks in clubs/pubs  but have them in restaurants. Surely there is more chance of spreading covid standing right next to people  in a pub for hours than walking  to the bathroom in a restaurant? 

Exactly the point i'm trying to make - it makes no sense. Folk will be in a pub before/after dinner in much more crowded places yet the crowed place has less rules! 

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Reminds me of the story (might be a myth?) of NASA spending millions to develop a pen that worked in space, while the Russians just used a pencil.

7 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Reminds me of the story (might be a myth?) of NASA spending millions to develop a pen that worked in space, while the Russians just used a pencil.

It is a myth. A very clever marketing ploy by a pen manufacturer. The company (not NASA) did develop a pen that worked in space but very few of them ever went to space. Most of them were bought by enthusiastic geeks. To be fair, they do write upside down which can be very handing sometimes.

18 hours ago, min said:

Bars / restaurants / nightclubs / gigs all, essentially, have the same laws to follow with regards to mask wearing.

Masks should be worn at all times except when sitting at a table or when eating or when drinking or when dancing. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/pages/where-face-coverings-should-be-worn/

Thanks for clarifying, I was pretty sure you needed masks in pubs but wasnt aware of the rules for clubs. Most definitely because it falls outwith  the ‘need to know ‘ category for me 🙄

There is at least consistency in this, but it becomes farcical, how on earth are you supposed to manage mask wearing in a club ? Half the folk will be too pished to even find the loo , never mind remember to put their mask on to get there. 

As I said before, I dont find wearing a mask a big problem but personally  I think pubs, restaurants  and clubs should be exempt and make it a personal choice. With the rules on ‘table service only ‘ being abolished in pubs, and folk now standing all over the place,  it is hardly worth the effort wearing a mask. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lawrence Shankland gone all Anti Vax on Twitter - thick as shit.

Shame he never put as much effort into his footballing career as he has his part time virology career.

I saw that as well. Over a thousand 'likes' the last time I looked. Nae wonder Covid is still a issue two years down the line when people pay credence to the half-baked views of a crap footballer.

The guy might have a heid like one of the boffins from those '80s Tefal TV adverts but epidemiology really is not his forte. 🙄

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It is a myth. A very clever marketing ploy by a pen manufacturer. The company (not NASA) did develop a pen that worked in space but very few of them ever went to space. Most of them were bought by enthusiastic geeks. To be fair, they do write upside down which can be very handing sometimes.

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/article-696565

Study finds brain changes similarly to Alzheimer’s following COVID-19 infection

Many people don’t understand the long-term effects of COVID-19 and prefer to catch it and get it over with, yet a new small study gives the best reason to stay away from the virus.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:22 PM, Grim Jim said:

I rewound that just to hear her say 'pump' again 😛

Aye, the pencils would be dodgy in space too.   A wee bit of graphite or a broken 'lead' floating around and shorting the electrics....

😆

43 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Thats just absolute fucking madness, even for England its ridiculous.

I don't know whether it's nuts or not, I've stopped paying attention to the stats. I'm happy enough the decision has been made.

Good time to get a line drawn under it, she should do the correct thing everything coronavirus wound up tomorrow.

the decision has been made up for her no funding , get a line under it move on getting people living their lives they way did two years ago. No more your Scottish government knows what’s best for you routine .

getting rid of filthy face masks out of society as well.

is she going to think you know the answer to that one she is going to hang on to control as much as she can as she can’t let go.

Once she lets go the many failings of this nationalist government comes back into focus