Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think he will be in & will get some minutes vs France 

He could well be but I wonder why he wasn’t in this squad? Surely Clarke won’t  select him just because he had a very good first half against Spain U21s?

If he gets some minutes for Liverpool over the next couple of weeks then you may well be right and hopefully that’s the case.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He could well be but I wonder why he wasn’t in this squad? Surely Clarke won’t  select him just because he had a very good first half against Spain U21s?

If he gets some minutes for Liverpool over the next couple of weeks then you may well be right and hopefully that’s the case.

Well it seems Clarke is now looking to integrate new blood into the squad. As looks very likely now his bid to integrate Anderson and  perhaps Barnes will fail and the next clear candidate now and available is Ben Doak.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think any of those guys were 17 though were they?

I have no doubt Clarke will call Doak up when he is still a teenager but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it was next month. 

17 is outrageously young. It's mental that we are even talking about it. But if he does start games for Liverpool and gets brought off the bench, then he'll deserve to be in the squad. 

Scotland have actually never capped a 17 year old. This would be a pretty major event if we did.

Some players are simply ready at that age. I still remember (probably on Football Focus or something) seeing Pele (himself a 17-year-old debutant) wishing Norman Whiteside luck as he was about to start at 17 years old in the 1982 World Cup. More recently, Rooney and Milner made a big impact in England at 16. Walcott went to the World Cup at 17. 

If Doak truly has it, get him in.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Some players are simply ready at that age. I still remember (probably on Football Focus or something) seeing Pele (himself a 17-year-old debutant) wishing Norman Whiteside luck as he was about to start at 17 years old in the 1982 World Cup. More recently, Rooney and Milner made a big impact in England at 16. Walcott went to the World Cup at 17. 

If Doak truly has it, get him in.

I hope he has it, the highlights look brilliant but not sure he’s ready for the full team. Sure call him up just to get him involved but he seems pretty raw, as you’d expect at 17 with so little first team experience. 

No need to rush it, he’ll get a game when he’s ready. 

Doak is incredibly raw. As you would expect for a 17 yr old kid. 

If he gets picked at this stage, it will be more for his development, rather than him being ready to contribute.

I don’t think there’s any rush. Give the boy a chance to learn the game at Liverpool and see how he progresses. 

I think when we get around to the Euros and able to call up a larger squad, Doak will probably get the role that Gilmour and Patterson had at the last Euro's.

Think Clarke knows that he has his whole career in front of him, and for time being would rather look at some short term options, but do think he will be called up soon enough.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it seems Clarke is now looking to integrate new blood into the squad. As looks very likely now his bid to integrate Anderson and  perhaps Barnes will fail and the next clear candidate now and available is Ben Doak.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to pick a 17 year old with a handful of appearances off the bench for his club. 

Clarke didn’t select Billy Gilmour until he was 19 (nearly 20) even though he was playing sporadically for Chelsea for at least a year before that. 

If Doak gets more game time at Liverpool over the next couple of weeks then I could see Clarke picking him to give him exposure to the senior squad but the squad will be announced quite soon so I’m not sure how much opportunity he’ll have to play between now and then. 

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

17 is outrageously young. It's mental that we are even talking about it. But if he does start games for Liverpool and gets brought off the bench, then he'll deserve to be in the squad. 

Scotland have actually never capped a 17 year old. This would be a pretty major event if we did.

Yeah if he’s playing regularly for his club Clarke will have no option but to pick him. 

Do the U21s have important games next month and in November? Clarke might prefer him to play in those rather than sit on the bench in Spain and France. 

Anderson has given an interview where he says he's concentrating on getting into the Newcastle side (fair enough) and he hasn't made a decision on his international future 😡 well Elliott, it seemed you had a couple of weeks back when you accepted our call up! I hope we never go back in for him again tbh

3 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Anderson has given an interview where he says he's concentrating on getting into the Newcastle side (fair enough) and he hasn't made a decision on his international future 😡 well Elliott, it seemed you had a couple of weeks back when you accepted our call up! I hope we never go back in for him again tbh

Indeed. I believe this is the interview:-

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/elliot-andersons-perfect-response-england-27730130?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Purely, smacks of England come and get me. His mind was made up a few weeks back when he accepted the Scotland call-up given to him in good faith. If I were Clarke I'd see how much he wants it. I'd contact him and say you must call me to say you have unreservedly committed to Scotland before I consider selecting you again.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They have nowhere the standard of squad we currently have though. 

We have guys who are playing every week in Serie A, EPL and eve presents for Celtic who can't even get in the squad. 

As has Spain who selected a 16-year-old. As had England when selecting Michael Owen. As have several other countries around the world.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As has Spain who selected a 16-year-old. As had England when selecting Michael Owen. As have several other countries around the world.

Michael Owen made his debut at 18 for England, he turned 19 later that year.  Owen was a first choice player at Liverpool when he made his debut for England. 

What players have Spain picked that haven't started a first team game yet?

I'd love Doak to be in the squad. can see why he might not be for a wee while yet though. 

Let's stick to facts. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spain selected the 16 year old to stop him becoming “Moroccan” he is of mixed heritage and can play for either 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed. I believe this is the interview:-

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/elliot-andersons-perfect-response-england-27730130?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Purely, smacks of England come and get me. His mind was made up a few weeks back when he accepted the Scotland call-up given to him in good faith. If I were Clarke I'd see how much he wants it. I'd contact him and say you must call me to say you have unreservedly committed to Scotland before I consider selecting you again.

We’ll find out if/when he’s picked for the next squad, simples 🤷‍♂️