Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarke seems to have a knack for surpising us with this type of thing. Jacob Brown, Che Adams, Angus Gunn all came when we weren't expecting it.

Honestly, every time a new face is added, it always seems to be an upgrade. Our squad is just getting stronger and stronger every international break!

Anderson's a good player. Pleased he has come to his senses. Already a regular sub for Newcastle and started a few games so he'll be getting CL game time this season.

When was the last time so many midfielders in the squad playing outside of Scotland were in european competition? You've now got McGinn, McTom (if he stays), Gilmour and Anderson.

Lewis Ferguson just missed out with Bologna on europa conference place and with his current trajectory he'll be playing for a european standard team this time next year.

I did notice when he came on for Newcastle yesterday there was a Scottish flag next to his name on the graphics so not sure if that's always been there or if they got word.

Midfield selection now looks incredible, strongest in depth since the late 90s.

20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Clarke seems to have a knack for surpising us with this type of thing. Jacob Brown, Che Adams, Angus Gunn all came when we weren't expecting it.

Honestly, every time a new face is added, it always seems to be an upgrade. Our squad is just getting stronger and stronger every international break!

Scott Burns was usually the best for any post-squad bits of gossip on new call up's, but even he has not been giving any exclusives for a while (which hints that his mole at the SFA has been moved on).

Looks like Clarke is already dangling the carrot of Euro 2024 to some eligible players, and we may see more by the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think they have to do a bit more now to be tied iirc

Nah, playing a competitive game still pretty much ties you. 

There are ways to change after, but you need to have not been picked for three years, and to have played fewer than three games (including friendlies) before you were 21.  He’s 21 in November so if he plays in three games before then he can’t switch.  If he plays any after then he can’t switch. And if he plays in a major tournament finals he can’t switch. 

Basically, you wouldn’t commit unless you were sure cos the escape clauses are really difficult to qualify for. 

I would start with 

Gunn

Hickey Porteous McKenna tierney robertson

Gilmour mcgregor

Mctominay mcginn

Dykes

for the Cyprus game.  Give Anderson a run if we are ahead.

15 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Nah, playing a competitive game still pretty much ties you. 

There are ways to change after, but you need to have not been picked for three years, and to have played fewer than three games (including friendlies) before you were 21.  He’s 21 in November so if he plays in three games before then he can’t switch.  If he plays any after then he can’t switch. And if he plays in a major tournament finals he can’t switch. 

Basically, you wouldn’t commit unless you were sure cos the escape clauses are really difficult to qualify for. 

👍

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Seems like Anderson will be playing for us. Hes probably realised he probably wont get a game for england and he might as well commit to us now so that he can  have a chance of playing in the euros next summer.

Take Henderson out of the England team, and he is only a couple of years younger than the majority of their midfield (and he is actually older than Bellingham) and these are all players established at their clubs who all have around 30-40 England caps, so it was always a tough ask. 

I suspect when he asked not to be called up by our U21's it simply was to consider his options, and while he may have held talks with Southgate, looks like he has decided its not for him.

He's probably looked at Anthony Gordon and Harvey Barnes (both Scottish qualified funnily enough) in training this summer and realised it will be hard enough to get ahead of those two to get picked for England, never mind ahead of Sterling, Rashford, Saka, Foden, Eze, Maddison and whatever else is coming down the pipeline. 

As much as it pains me to say it, England are an absolute talent factory at the moment. Every youth group is churning out top players. 

Bloody delighted Anderson has seen sense all the same. The tricky creative winger/attacking midfielder is one position we don't have much depth in and Gilmour/Hickey/Patterson/Anderson/Doak gives a cracking nucleus for the next 10 years +

3 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

He's probably looked at Anthony Gordon and Harvey Barnes (both Scottish qualified funnily enough) in training this summer and realised it will be hard enough to get ahead of those two to get picked for England, never mind ahead of Sterling, Rashford, Saka, Foden, Eze, Maddison and whatever else is coming down the pipeline. 

As much as it pains me to say it, England are an absolute talent factory at the moment. Every youth group is churning out top players. 

Bloody delighted Anderson has seen sense all the same. The tricky creative winger/attacking midfielder is one position we don't have much depth in and Gilmour/Hickey/Patterson/Anderson/Doak gives a cracking nucleus for the next 10 years +

Barnes is still eligible for us (granted that would be a VERY brave decision on Clarke's part to call up a player with a actual cap) and if he misses out on the next England squad, would not be shocked if Clarke has a go at him.

A strong squad; plenty in there who have started the season well and I'm delighted Elliot Anderson has decided to go with us. He impressed me with his some of his passing yesterday when he came on for Newcastle and I think he could ripen into a really class act.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Barnes is still eligible for us (granted that would be a VERY brave decision on Clarke's part to call up a player with a actual cap) and if he misses out on the next England squad, would not be shocked if Clarke has a go at him.

Can't wait to become the England reject national team

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

A strong squad; plenty in there who have started the season well and I'm delighted Elliot Anderson has decided to go with us. He impressed me with his some of his passing yesterday when he came on for Newcastle and I think he could ripen into a really class act.

Me too mate, really happy & excited to see how he will progress. I've not seen a lot live of him but I've a feeling he could become a top class player. Can already imagine him playing a advanced left sided midfield role & linking up brilliantly with a maurading Robbo or KT.🩷🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪

This is a larger squad than I was expecting, but I'm glad we are calling up 25. It's good for continuity when you have players being coached in how we play. This is a strong squad, and although I get behind any who are called up we really could do with a quality striker. Adams is hardly prolific, Dykes suits us to a T(Tea, Ti,Tee??) But Shankland and Nisbet are different types. 

Edited by romanticscot